Buying a plane in Mexico

bgreenhaw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon Greenhaw
My dad is looking to buy a plane and a few of them he has come across are based in Mexico.
What are some things to consider when importing an aircraft from Mexico?

What are some things to consider when importing an aircraft from Mexico?
Everything. If N reg easier. If X reg need to be very careful. Regardless use a reputable broker to handle deal with a signed agreement guaranteeing completion of the process. Certain types of aircraft maintenance do not transfer over to the FAA as Canada, UK, etc do because Mexico/US have a limited bilateral agreement for aviation. While GA aircraft may not be as difficult, any type above that are a challenge and any saving on price disappear when finally completed.

I'm based in Mexico and haven't found a cheaper deal than in the US (Controller, Trade-a-plane, Barnstormers)

I would say it depends where the aircraft is based, who did their annuals and if it's N-registered which seems to be the case for expensive twins, turbos and jets.

In addition to what Bell206 said, consider the months of downtime that will be spent getting the paperwork sorted out. The last two I’ve been involved with have each taken roughly a year, partially due to aircraft modifications that needed approval but mainly due to registration issues due to the need to deal with two or more governments.

Swab the interior for white powder.......

Back