Buying a Cessna 182

10 knot KTAS penalty on account of "jig"? Jesus H. I don't buy that premise for one second...
Wheel pants off accounts for some of that. Plane has been in 2 accidents but the wing repair also means the plane can't be properly rigged. It's air safe but no one tries to load it to book gross.

Wheel pants off accounts for some of that. Plane has been in 2 accidents but the wing repair also means the plane can't be properly rigged. It's air safe but no one tries to load it to book gross.

:eek: I have no idea what the difference is but I sure know there are people that can make it right. If it’s not why in the heck would you get in it (except maybe under a ferry permit) and what the heck will the insurance company say if there is a mishap?

poorly repaired wing
wing repair also means the plane can't be properly rigged.
It's air safe
Curious. How is it that the wing repair is airworthy, yet can't be rigged properly? Have repaired a few Cessna 100 series wings and don't quite follow your comments. Got any more details on the repair?

I don't buy that premise for one second,
If they got the incidence angle or washout wrong during the wing repair, regardless if they used a jig or not, could/would have an affect on handling, speed, etc. Have seen wing washout change when only the wing skins were replaced without compensating for it.

Last edited:
If they got the incidence angle or washout wrong during the wing repair, regardless if they used a jig or not, could/would have an affect on handling, speed, etc. Have seen wing washout change when only the wing skins were replaced without compensating for it.
You nailed it. It was so subtle that we didn't until we went to see what rerigging could do. Naturally, if the wings are off, can't technically get a good rig. Also, it's not a good idea to fully load. Been flown for years like this

Been flown for years like this
FWIW: operating an aircraft with a known improper repair sets up the owners and last IA for a huge fall should anything happen that brings the feds around. I would definitely recommend getting it repaired correctly.

I would be interested in the power settings used for these reports of 140 kts in a fixed gear non-turbo 182. I flew a nice 1975 185 (IO-520, 300hp, 8.50 main tires, no wheel pants) for 25 years. Typically used 23/23 which I think was around 65% power. 130 kts was typical.

Back