Buying a 182.....

Flyfeld

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyfeld
As title states I may be in the market for a 182, reason for ownership is I just can't get time in renting. Usually have to book two weeks out and then have a 50-50 chance the weather will cooperate in northeast pa. Therefore I am seriously considering purchasing, I always wanted a 182 since I flew one during PPL training. Most time is in a 172 so very similar, still low time private pilot with no instrument but will certainly entertain instrument training once I own.
Budget is 125k which should get me into a Q, but I have hesitation going back to a carburated engine. It also seems that prices have really gone up since I looked a couple of years ago and a newer airplane is out of reach. Looking for some input or direction from the more experienced owners out there to see what is realistic.

Thanks,

Frank

I have a Q which I really like but there are 2 problems with the engine to consider. It's carberated so no lean of peak and it's high compression so no mogas STC.

Thats the problem, I prefer fuel injected engine but the price differential is big.....

182 + mogas STC is pretty sweet. start buying gas at $2.50 and you'll never look back.

Our holds 79 gallons

Casey's gas station today has it for $2.39 so $188

Cheapest 100LL on the field is $4.69 $370

Also have a 177 with mogas STC, its great to have around but I dread the day when the fuel tanks start leaking. Seems inevitable.

I'll admit hauling gas is annoying but I work a the airport and live near so its not a big deal for me.

Last edited:
So which engines can be converted to mogas? How hard is it to find ethanol free gas at airports?

So which engines can be converted to mogas? How hard is it to find ethanol free gas at airports?

I pretty much assume I'll have to buy 100LL on long cross-countries but since the 177 & 182 holds 5+ hours of gas I never usually need to buy gas away from home.

Mogas stocked at airports is usually only a bit cheaper than 100LL, if it exists at all.

Engines, well most of the O470 series can burn it, except for the O470S I believe. The STC I put on Dad's airplane was a metal tag for the engine, placards at the fuel fillers and record entries, no physical changes to anything else.

0-470-S is okay. It's the -U engine that can't use car gas. And by STC, no Pponks can, either, even with 7.5-1 compression.

There's nothing wrong with a carb'd 470. A carb'd 520? Even better.

I am also shopping for a 182. Prices are a bit inflated right now, but if you shop carefully you can get a good airplane for a fair price. This is a good time of the year to shop, people are more likely to sell once the weather isn't as conducive for flying in the northern parts. The Dow taking a big nosedive might help as well.

I really like working on the 182 (ours is 1968), pretty comfortable to work under the panel, in the tailcone etc.

Get an R. An R182.
For the legacy models, the fixed gear models have Continental engines. The R182, aka 182RG, have Lycoming engines. That means the likelihood of not needing a couple of top end overhauls by TBO can reduce operating costs significantly.

For the legacy models, the fixed gear models have Continental engines. The R182, aka 182RG, have Lycoming engines. That means the likelihood of not needing a couple of top end overhauls by TBO can reduce operating costs significantly.

Wouldn't the increased costs of the retracts outweigh the savings of having a Lyc?

Flying club I used to belong to had an early 70's 182 that had 265hp fuel injected STC. Also had bigger tanks and a stol kit if I recall. If your hearts set on a fuel injected 182, you might want to look for an older model that's been modified. That being said, the carb'd versions are nothing to shy away from IMO.

Its a 182 so its going to be thirsty no matter how you slice it. Mogas? The thought of hauling gas cans out to the airport every time I wanted to fly wouldn't scare me. But I know me and I suspect humping those gas cans up a ladder would get old fast. If I had a low wing plane, I'd probably do it. High wing? Probably not very often for me unless I had a tank with a pump to haul the fuel in.

Flying club I used to belong to had an early 70's 182 that had 265hp fuel injected STC. Also had bigger tanks and a stol kit if I recall. If your hearts set on a fuel injected 182, you might want to look for an older model that's been modified. That being said, the carb'd versions are nothing to shy away from IMO.

Its a 182 so its going to be thirsty no matter how you slice it. Mogas? The thought of hauling gas cans out to the airport every time I wanted to fly wouldn't scare me. But I know me and I suspect humping those gas cans up a ladder would get old fast. If I had a low wing plane, I'd probably do it. High wing? Probably not very often for me unless I had a tank with a pump to haul the fuel in.

Pump, don't lift: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=FUELFILLPUMP

I would avoid the later Q models with integral fuel tanks. Sure, all these decades they enjoyed lower fuel tank maintenance than their bladder tank counterparts, but now they are aging and starting to leak. Fixing a leak in an integral tank is far more difficult than replacing bladders every 15 years or so. I understand many mechanics wont touch the integral tanks.

I've got a 77 Q model and it still has the fuel tank bladders, which last a long time, but they will need to be replaced eventually. I believe the 78 and up have the wet wings and 24 volt electrical system, all have the slower turning engines which will not accept mogas. It's hard to be a 182, it does everything good, but nothing great! Hauls a good load, burns 12-13 GPH at 130-135 knots true. Simple enough to learn on, but fast enough to go somewhere.

Buy the 182' Buyers guide...a great look into all of the models.

Through that I discovered the P was the sweet spot for me.

Buy the 182' Buyers guide...a great look into all of the models.

Through that I discovered the P was the sweet spot for me.
I would have bought a P as well, the Q just kinda popped up at a fair price! We had a P for over 20 years, my dad and I both learned to fly in it! :D

As title states I may be in the market for a 182, reason for ownership is I just can't get time in renting. Usually have to book two weeks out and then have a 50-50 chance the weather will cooperate in northeast pa. Therefore I am seriously considering purchasing, I always wanted a 182 since I flew one during PPL training. Most time is in a 172 so very similar, still low time private pilot with no instrument but will certainly entertain instrument training once I own.
Budget is 125k which should get me into a Q, but I have hesitation going back to a carburated engine. It also seems that prices have really gone up since I looked a couple of years ago and a newer airplane is out of reach. Looking for some input or direction from the more experienced owners out there to see what is realistic.

Thanks,

Frank
Where you at in NEPA ???

Does a 265hp p.ponk really cruise at 154kt? Or is the seller just blowing smoke?

Applying the cube root rule gives me 141kts.
That’s 6 kts shy of Vmax I think! Doubt that fast.

Don't go for the newest 182 you can afford. Go for the best one. An older one with a recent overhaul and updated avionics is s better buy than a newer one that doesn't have those things addressed.
Don't fear the carburetor. Yeah, you may not be able to fly lop, in the total bill of owning the thing the difference will be a rounding error.

LOL that is ground speed with a 30 kt tailwind. That is a 130kt plane at best. FlightAware doesn’t lie
Huh? So you're saying a P.Ponk is slower than a stock 182 (134kts or so)?

Back