Buying a 150 to get PPL, few questions

First, Hello...

I've seen the question asked, but perhaps not from the specific angle I'm coming from. Having run the numbers, I've come to the conclusion that a purchase of a less than 500hr, current annual Cessna 150 or 152 would be a better financial move, for me personally, than renting while getting PPL + some hours. I recognize fully the "unknowns" that I'll be taking on and having owned numerous boats, motorcycles and a sporty car or two, I realize that it's more accurately stated as "definitely going to cost you...just a matter of when".

I'm comfortable with that aspect.

Problem I'm having is actually how to jump in. I have no real close contacts in the fixed wing world. I have a friend/neighbor who's a commercial helicopter pilot...not a lot of specific experience to transfer to a Cessna. That's about it for first hand associates who fly. I have a line on what looks to be a reasonable prospect for purchase, but as of current, haven't found a CFI to instruct me in my plane I intend to purchase, in my area (southeastern VA). Further, I'd like to get some sort of pre-purchase inspection done, and ideally have someone to fly it (test flights a thing?) and then possibly fly it home.

Any thoughts on where to start?

Brilliant idea (152). I wish I would have done this.

For one, gallons/hr is better than a 172, and way cheaper hourly run rate than a rental.

Plus, the 152 flies slower, so hours build up quicker.

finally, you can sell the plan when done - probably for exactly what you paid for it.

Serioulsy...great idea.

Used to live in Suffolk (just south of the airport...and still have our place there, that would love to sell...if you know anyone hunting for land, it would up my plane budget). Currently up on the Eastern Shore. Would love a recommendation.
Does VA have a "western" shore?

Brilliant idea (152). I wish I would have done this.

For one, gallons/hr is better than a 172, and way cheaper hourly run rate than a rental.

Plus, the 152 flies slower, so hours build up quicker.

finally, you can sell the plan when done - probably for exactly what you paid for it.

Serioulsy...great idea.

150/152 is also more fun to fly than a 172, and will teach you better. It needs more rudder and will bite harder if you screw up your flare.

I don't make up the names...We're the little thumb that's hanging down between the bay and the ocean...

And ironically, we have a ton of west facing shore, on the bay side of the Eastern Shore.

My local feelers have produced a lead for a local, active pilot. Not a cfi, but said he'd like to sit down for a beer and try to get me pointed in the right direction.

Used to live in Suffolk (just south of the airport...and still have our place there, that would love to sell...if you know anyone hunting for land, it would up my plane budget). Currently up on the Eastern Shore. Would love a recommendation.
Where on the eastern shore?

Looks like there are at least two flight schools at Salisbury. Not sure if there is anything at Accomack, but worth a phone call.

I'm partial to Epix at Chesapeake, but you'd have to cross the bridge/tunnel (and pay a lot) every time you wanted to fly.

The C150 hate is strong in this thread! I've got 200 hours in a 1976 C150M that I now own, and I can tell you having flown dozens of trainers (C152s, AA5s, C172s, P28A, etc.), it is my top pick for private pilot training. I've taken the C150 all over the midwest and even got it up to Oshkosh this year. It's a great first plane to own because you'll learn the ropes at a reasonable cost. The only way you can really spoil the financial aspect of owning one is if you're insistent on dropping thousands on luxury upgrades. Most of these planes you'll find online are perfectly acceptable for day and night VFR flight.

There are plenty of C150 and C152 options available on TradeAPlane, and there is the AOPA Reimagined project, which restores and upgrades C150s and C152s. If you have questions about them, feel free to PM me.

If someone's serious about this, I can go take a look at this to see if it's a POS.
Yeah, that one looks pretty nice. The lack of ADS-B is something to consider, but I doubt we're gonna see any C150s on the market with ADS-B until after 2020.

Yeah, that one looks pretty nice. The lack of ADS-B is something to consider, but I doubt we're gonna see any C150s on the market with ADS-B until after 2020.

The good news is, much of the country will have no need for ADS-B equipment on an airplane like this. :)

To find a good flight instructor....

Look up Designated Pilot Examiners for your area, call them tell them what you want to do and who they would recommend for instructors for you.

They might be able to recommend an A&P to help you, they might even know of some planes for sale locally.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I'm a C150 owner based in the same field as that one so going there won't be a problem. It actually looks to be tied down a few planes down from mine.

Looking at the price trajectory of ADS-B, I'm guessing it'll be a 2-3k update at 2020, so no biggie in the grand scheme of things.

The plane in the Craigslist ad looks very neat from the outside. It's parked a few planes down from my usual spot.

It does, which includes Reedville, Deltaville, Mathews, Poquoson, Norfolk, and parts of Virginia Beach. "Eastern Shore" refers to eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The term "Western shore" isn't used a geographic designation in Virginia, as the coastal areas on the western side of the bay are referred to by the peninsula they're on: Northern Neck (area between Potomac River and Rappahannock River), the Middle Peninsula (between Rappahannock River and York River), and the Lower Peninsula (York River to James River) which includes parts typically referred to as part of the "Hampton Roads" area.

Thanks for the replies. To clarify a bit where I am...it's essentially an island, with the $20 round trip toll, 22mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (plus my 15 miles to get to the bridge, plus however far the airport is on the other side) as the only way over to where there are more (any) CFI's that I can find. That's not practical. I can't think of how to make it practical with the exception of the suggestion above of banging out a few weekends and then trying to stay based out of somewhere closer to home to finish things up?

As for IFR, bigger plane, etc...ideally I'd get PPL, get hours, get a feel for my wife's interest, etc. sell the 150, buy next craft accordingly. Plus, wife and I aren't even 300lbs combined, so I'd think we're safe for a few more thanksgiving dinners! I'm comfortable with outgrowing it. Market for such planes seems reasonably stable, so maintenance costs aside, I don't anticipate a huge hit if I went to sell in 2 years.

I know what I'm about to say will ultimately be extrapolated into recommending a Bonanza/Pilatus/Concorde/Space Shuttle, but just something to consider:

Quite a few folks propose purchasing an airplane during/immediate after flight training and often gravitate towards a 150 because the cost of ownership is so low. A significant percentage of them ultimately step up to a 172. I've NEVER heard anyone regret buying a 172 over a 150/152. A 172 is exactly as good training, its operating costs are only slight more than a 150, but will carry you into instrument training and doing real cross country flights with the ability to take passengers, payload and fuel. They're also fine on grass strips. Good luck.

If you do end up with a space shuttle, at least you have a space port a short drive away.

I too would skip the 150/152. It will be harder in today's time to find an instructor that is light enough to allow you to carry a decent amount of fuel and be under gross. Kind of depends on what size a person you are. You can find older 172's for about the same price and sometimes less than a 152. Even a Cherokee 140 is a better option than a 150/152, they may not be good 4 seaters, or even good 3 seaters, but they are excellent 2 seaters plus full fuel and luggage.

I too would skip the 150/152. It will be harder in today's time to find an instructor that is light enough to allow you to carry a decent amount of fuel and be under gross. Kind of depends on what size a person you are. You can find older 172's for about the same price and sometimes less than a 152. Even a Cherokee 140 is a better option than a 150/152, they may not be good 4 seaters, or even good 3 seaters, but they are excellent 2 seaters plus full fuel and luggage.
"Even" a PA28? It's a huge step up from a C150. But, one in decent shape will probably cost 50% more to purchase.

Buying your first plane, I would say Brad is correct. The advantage of a C-150 over a C-172 is a little lower fuel cost, lighter controls thus more fun to fly, and lower initial purchase cost (generally $20k for a good 150 versus $30-35k for a good 172, which isn't chump change). The C-172 wins in the other categories. Check out Flight Aware. Most days, there will be multiple C-172's in the IFR system, but rarely more than a few C-150's. The 172 is a better airplane for travelling and a better instrument platform. Maintenance costs are similar, hangar cost is the same, fuel is only a little more and capability of a C-172 is way more. My hesitation in buying a C-172 would be should I go with a C-182 instead. If I were buying today, I probably would, although a C-182 starts to cost more for maintenance and more for fuel when you are just punching holes in the sky.

Not unusual, Harold. Cessna 150's don't get a lot of respect, but I still argue they are one of Cessna's best airplanes. :)

I really like this article by Rick Durden:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2006/april/01/ifr-in-a-modest-airplane
I'm not instrument rated, so, in this article, what does he mean by 'legal alternate'? Does that just mean alternate airport in VMC? Or another airport with instrument approach? Or, legal because he has enough fuel to make it?

He means an alternate airport within fuel range that has instrument approaches and the forecast weather meets the minimums required.

"Even" a PA28? It's a huge step up from a C150. But, one in decent shape will probably cost 50% more to purchase.
Not sure what you are getting at but on average there is about a 5k price difference between a Cherokee 140 and a Cessna 150. Cessna 152 brings about the same price as a Cherokee 140.

I appreciate the replies. To speak to my reasoning on 150 vs 172 or similar...cost of entry is a concern, and the more the upfront cost increases, the thinner my argument for buying vs renting becomes. All things being equal, telling my wife it'll cost $17k upfront vs $27k upfront makes any maintenance, fuel, hangar, etc. equivalencies irrelevant between 150 and larger/more capable alternatives. Believe me, I'd much rather jump right in a 4 place, but cost of entry is certainly a concern. There is a promising 150 for sale that is in for annual currently, that I'd like to make work if possible and if it makes sense, and wife is on board with that one.

I envision myself getting ticket, building some hours, and then putting for sale. My life situation is such that barring unforeseen changes, my budget will have increased meaningfully in the next few years, so rather than sitting on my hands or renting until then, I'd have been flying my own plane.

Least that's how it goes on paper.

Would recommend a Cessna 172, or PA28 instead - price dont go much up, and you will have a future with it, you wont have the same opportunities with a 150 and it is too small, not interesting. And even though you will sell the plane after and buy a bigger plane, then it might take time and for many reasons you may end of selling it at a bad price if there is no interest. A bigger plane will always be more easy to sell

I

I envision myself getting ticket, building some hours, and then putting for sale. My life situation is such that barring unforeseen changes, my budget will have increased meaningfully in the next few years, so rather than sitting on my hands or renting until then, I'd have been flying my own plane.

Buy the C150, as you are aware of the benefits of a slightly bigger plane (C172, PA28 etc). Fly the C150 and when you're ready to sell and move up to something like a C172, you'll more than likely recoup at least what you paid for the C150 anyway.

I appreciate the replies. To speak to my reasoning on 150 vs 172 or similar...cost of entry is a concern, and the more the upfront cost increases, the thinner my argument for buying vs renting becomes. All things being equal, telling my wife it'll cost $17k upfront vs $27k upfront makes any maintenance, fuel, hangar, etc. equivalencies irrelevant between 150 and larger/more capable alternatives. Believe me, I'd much rather jump right in a 4 place, but cost of entry is certainly a concern. There is a promising 150 for sale that is in for annual currently, that I'd like to make work if possible and if it makes sense, and wife is on board with that one.

How big of a person are you? I think I read you are in VA so Density altitude shouldn't be a huge concern.

150/2 is a lot more plane than a 172 or a fixed gear PA28, especially a aerobat, patroller or 150hp conversion, more fun to fly, cheaper to fly, spins well, fits in smaller hangars, not a fan of trainer trikes, but the C150/2 and the AA1 are probably the best in that arena

Not sure what you are getting at but on average there is about a 5k price difference between a Cherokee 140 and a Cessna 150. Cessna 152 brings about the same price as a Cherokee 140.
Really good C150 is prob $20K, really good P140 is $30K. Less than 1000 SMOH, good P&I.

That's all you need. Go for it.

I weigh 160... And yes, in Virginia.

You should be alright as long as you find a CFI around 200 lbs or less. It varies a lot but useful load on most 150's now a days is around 450 lbs unless you find a very original one that is light.

I would totally be for getting a 150 to train in. I have a 120, but for the average person I'd say 150 is perfect if you can make the weight work.

Go for the C-150 then. We have an IFR C-150 and the useful load with FULL FUEL is 386.4 lbs. With you at 160, that would leave over 200 lbs for an instructor. As I said earlier (and we used to own a C-172, so I know whereof I speak) the C-150 is quite a bit more fun to fly. Come over and visit us at the Cessna 150/152 Club ( http://www.cessna150-152club.com/ ). A lot of information is available there. If money is an issue, as it is for most of us, there is nothing wrong at all in owning a C-150. It is a great airplane.

Thanks. Pretty settled on the 150...now just trying to run down a CFI who's local and willing to play along with the other than standard plan I've got going.

Ok so this thread aught my attention.. and I kinda on the same boat as OP. when I do my numbers, paying $160 wet for 172 just for renting doesn't make a whole lot sense in my mind. I plan to fly 100 hrs a year, that's like less than 2 hrs a week, even if I fly twice a month for short XC, I will cross 100 hr quite easily and I am basing 100 hrs because of the rental fees. if I own, I will surely fly more.

I was looking at some posting here and there and most new-er ones are pretty darn expensive. on this thread, I see someone mentioned that a good 172 would cost around 35k? now that's what caught my eyes. pardon my ignorance, but I know nothing about planes but when I see a plane that was bought in 1969.. I get a bit worried since its older than me and something in my brain tells me that as I am growing older, things in my body keeps failing ...lol .. that is definitely not a case with a machine, but last thing I want to do is get into a initial cost of 35k and then it becomes a money pit.

can any 172 owner comment on what I could possibly expect in terms of running this thing?

hangar cost (heated)
annuals
any other maintenance that I should know about
how much fund should I ideally keep aside for "surprise" stuff?
insurance - this is a big one, I am a student with 4 hrs under my belt
does it hold its price when I sell it, say 2-3 years down the road?

any inputs is much appreciated.

Ok so this thread aught my attention.. and I kinda on the same boat as OP. when I do my numbers, paying $160 wet for 172 just for renting doesn't make a whole lot sense in my mind. I plan to fly 100 hrs a year, that's like less than 2 hrs a week, even if I fly twice a month for short XC, I will cross 100 hr quite easily and I am basing 100 hrs because of the rental fees. if I own, I will surely fly more.

I was looking at some posting here and there and most new-er ones are pretty darn expensive. on this thread, I see someone mentioned that a good 172 would cost around 35k? now that's what caught my eyes. pardon my ignorance, but I know nothing about planes but when I see a plane that was bought in 1969.. I get a bit worried since its older than me and something in my brain tells me that as I am growing older, things in my body keeps failing ...lol .. that is definitely not a case with a machine, but last thing I want to do is get into a initial cost of 35k and then it becomes a money pit.

can any 172 owner comment on what I could possibly expect in terms of running this thing?

hangar cost (heated)
annuals
any other maintenance that I should know about
how much fund should I ideally keep aside for "surprise" stuff?
insurance - this is a big one, I am a student with 4 hrs under my belt
does it hold its price when I sell it, say 2-3 years down the road?

any inputs is much appreciated.
Hangar cost (heated) - $200-$300/mo at most FBOs and airports.
Annuals - $1000 - $2,000 assuming no significant problems are found.
Any other maintenance that I should know about
  • §91.207 ELT inspection, usually included with annual inspection.
  • Oil change every 50 hours or 4 months, whichever comes first. You're probably looking at just 1 or 2 per year, because another one is performed at the annual inspection. You can do the oil change yourself per 14 C.F.R. Part 43. A shop oil change will cost around $300-400. This is not required maintenance, but is very smart to do to prolong the life of the engine and prevent corrosion. Aviation oil is particularly susceptible to moisture buildup more so than it is susceptible to degradation in its lubrication properties.
  • An upgrade to ADS-B Out may be required depending on the airspace where you fly. See 14 C.F.R. §91.225(d) for details. Basic ADS-B Out systems
  • §91.411 and §91.413: Pitot/static and transponder inspection (usually performed together, around $300-500 total).
How much fund should I ideally keep aside for "surprise" stuff?
For a C172, I'd say around 10% of the airplane's purchase price. If you find one for $35,000 I'd keep $3,500 available for yearly incidentals excluding routine maintenance. You can expect to pay the most in incidentals during the first year of ownership. After the post-buy kinks are ironed out, this usually stays somewhat consistent, and you could probably lower the incidental fund quite a bit. You really want to have an extensive pre-buy inspection done by a mechanic that is not used by the current owner before you commit to a purchase. That mechanic's role will be to address potential incidentals up-front.

Insurance - this is a big one, I am a student with 4 hrs under my belt
I would call Avemco, Falcon, and AOPA (who uses Avemco) to find this out. You can use a sample airplane you find on TradeAPlane, Craigslist, etc. for the quote.

Does it hold its price when I sell it, say 2-3 years down the road?
In the short term like 2-3 years, yes. However you usually will not get a full return on investment in avionics. Most of the worth of these airplanes is their time since major overhaul (TSMO) of the engine. For example, a C150 with a new engine could easily run in the mid-$30,000 range, whereas one with an engine that is at 10 hours time before overhaul (TBO) may be in the $10,000 range. Engines for C150s and C172s are advertised to have a 2,000 hour time-before-overhaul. I encourage owners to read Mike Busch's manifesto on engine overhauls; they are not always required (nor safe). That's not to say you shouldn't account for them, as some engines simply don't make it to 2,000 hours.

It's important to calculate the total cost of an engine overhaul and to divide that cost by the number of hours you expect to put on the aircraft. That will form a basis for your hourly costs to operate the airplane. These are costs you will not recoup when you sell the airplane later. AOPA has a great break down as to how they calculated this with their Reimagined Cessna 150. Keep in mind their costs are for flying clubs. Their insurance estimate, for example, is the cost for rental and instruction insurance. As a private owner, you will probably be paying a lot less.

* A basic ADS-B Out system may cost around $5,000, but it's going to depend on your local market. An idea for prices of basic ADS-B Out systems can be found online.

@Harold Rutila thanks so much for your detailed response. much appreciated. I met the flight school manager today to learn more about the cost around here. heated hangers are a little more here about 400 a month and rest of the expenses are at par with what you mentioned. he also mentioned the idea of leaseback, I am going to research some more on it, talk to my CPA etc..long road ahead but good to know that I don't have to be a millionaire to own and operate it.

I've owned mine for 3 months now, and have paid right at 5k for an annual and maintenance stuff (alternator and AI was 2k, annual 2k and 1k in small things).
This would've been cut in half if it wasn't for a) dishonest A&Ps, something you will definitely meet and b) if I only flew locally with more control over those dishonest A&Ps.
All in all. Owning a C150 is cheaper than I expected. All in, I'm now right at 100 hours at $100/hr. And I expect that hourly rate to go down when I fly more.

Thanks @mtuomi for sharing. wish i could get a 150 / 152. but being a 240 lb myself, i don't think its the right fit for me.

Back