Buy Stratus 2S or wait for new one?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I know no one has any idea if or when there may be a new Stratus coming out, but I am wondering if it would be worth waiting a while or if I should just go ahead and by the Stratus 2S. I believe the Stratus 2S has been out a few years? It wouldn't surprise me if there is something new on the horizon.

No information, but the Stratus 2S is a great device. I can't see many ways to improve it, short of maybe better battery life.
And a robust power connector and a power switch that can't be turned on inadvertently.

Yea I am tempted to just order one

Just get one on Ebay. Lots of folks are getting the panel mount in and out transponders and ditching the Stratus. I'll probably unload mine in the next year.

Just get one on Ebay. Lots of folks are getting the panel mount in and out transponders and ditching the Stratus. I'll probably unload mine in the next year.

Yea I suppose if we got a GTX 345 then I wouldn't need the stratus

Yea I suppose if we got a GTX 345 then I wouldn't need the stratus
Don't know the box you specified, but lots of them give a wifi signal rendering the Stratus superfluous. I expect that's why I've seen so many used ones on Ebay. I plan on doing the ADS-B thing in the near future, I live next to a class C, several of my most frequent destinations are in controlled airspace, and don't consider it optional.

I can't see them making any huge improvements anytime soon. It has good GPS and dual-band ADS-B reception. The battery life is good... I generally plug it into ship power for anything over a 3 hour flight but I think it will last quite a bit longer than that, longer battery life would probably mean a bigger/heavier device and i don't see them doing that.

The charge cable on the 2S is usb-c which is annoying right now since most of us don't have any usb-c devices to swap cables with but down the line it will be more common and USB charging does end up being more flexible when you're traveling. A tougher connector would be nice but given that they've consistently gone the convenience route with USB charging I wouldn't expect that to change on any future versions.

It's a really nice thing to have, especially going through busy airspace or when you're trying to doge weather on long cross country trips. I'd go for it.

If I didn't already have one, I would save the money and put it into a panel mount solution.

Although I don't own a plan yet, with many of the flight school planes I fly having Garmin 345s and that being a likely route I'd take for a plane I buy, that is why I decided to "build" a Stratux box.

Yea why not just build a stratux? Built mine for $120ish and it has been working flawless.

Save some money and use your eyes.

ADS-B In give a lot more than traffic (although the traffic is awesome). Having radar, winds, metars, tafs, pireps and the like all available in flight is really powerful. For the small amount of investment, it seems to me totally worth it.

ADS-B In give a lot more than traffic (although the traffic is awesome). Having radar, winds, metars, tafs, pireps and the like all available in flight is really powerful. For the small amount of investment, it seems to me totally worth it.

Agreed.

No rumors about another stratus coming out anytime soon. Worst case scenario sell your old one. There is a market for everything. Helps out tremendously with situational awareness.

After comparing the capabilities between a Stratus and a Stratux, there's just no reason to pay 80% to buy a Stratus IMO. They do the same thing.

Build a Stratux for $120. It's literally like 5 parts that a monkey could put together. The one area it was lacking was the backup AI function, but I think Stratux now has that as well (although I haven't tried it).

You can even buy a Stratux pre-built for way less than a Stratus. Really don't see any reason in the world someone would buy a Stratus.

The 345 is a complete replacement for the Stratus since it includes an AHRS.

I wish the 345 used wifi instead of bluetooth.

You can even buy a Stratux pre-built for way less than a Stratus. Really don't see any reason in the world someone would buy a Stratus.

I thought that the Stratux didn't do some things that the Stratus does though? I should look into that though.

The only thing to my knowledge that the Stratus has that the Stratux doesn't is synthetic vision which is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion. If you do a lot of IFR I could see a benefit in it but for VFR it just depicts what your eyes already see.

They are developing synthetic vision for the Stratux as well. But yeah, that's the one feature it currently lacks.

I just installed an IFD 550 with avidyne ADSB in and out transponders. I have a stratus 2s with both gps and ADSB antenna. I've used it with foreflight for about a year now and it's been awesome.

Thinking about selling the stratus and accessories now that I have the new panel but am holding out to see how the IFD 550 and IFD 100 (app) display weather and wx information (metars, winds, etc). Foreflight won't get adsb from the avidyne ADSB in device so if I want to continue to see that stuff on foreflight I have to still have the stratus.

Lots of choices.

I've got a Stratus 2 (not 2S) that I no longer need. Practically brand new. Has a case, external antenna, suction cup mount, and everything it came with. If someone wants to PM me an offer, I will consider letting it go here instead of eBay.

Bump... What's everyone's opinion six months later? Interested.

I bought a 2s when sportys had a special at $100 off last year I think around Oshkosh. Great backup for IFR. If you are vfr only save the money and go stratux.

Garmin GDL39-3D works with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight. A free app makes firmware updates easy. The 3D version has ADHRS to support synthetic vision. I used a 39R with my G3X system in the new plane and may add the 39-3D to keep my iPad/iPhone totally independent of the G3X so I have a stand alone backup. I already own it, why not?

Me too...can't go wrong with this route.
Well...I have to post an update: I built the dual band stratux, and used it for a year without much complaint...but I had nothing to compare it to. On a trip south from Michigan, I started having problems with the Stratux power plug connector getting worn (an easy fix once I got back home), but I really needed the in-flight weather for the trip. I stopped at Sportys, and bought a Stratus 2s. All I can say is WOW, what a difference. The Stratus 2s, with its built in antennas, absolutely kicked my Stratux's butt, with it's external antennas. For example, at my home, I'm about 10 miles from the nearest ADSB broadcast antenna. The stratux could barely receive this signal, even with the antennas on the windowsill of my upstairs bedroom (that faces in the direction of the ADSB antenna). With the Stratus, it can be anywhere in my house, and it still receives this signal just fine. If you are in an area with plenty of towers, the stratux shouldn't be a problem, but if you live in a fringe area, I'd suggest the Stratus. It must have amplified antennas...

Well...I have to post an update: I built the dual band stratux, and used it for a year without much complaint...but I had nothing to compare it to. On a trip south from Michigan, I started having problems with the Stratux power plug connector getting worn (an easy fix once I got back home), but I really needed the in-flight weather for the trip. I stopped at Sportys, and bought a Stratus 2s. All I can say is WOW, what a difference. The Stratus 2s, with its built in antennas, absolutely kicked my Stratux's butt, with it's external antennas. For example, at my home, I'm about 10 miles from the nearest ADSB broadcast antenna. The stratux could barely receive this signal, even with the antennas on the windowsill of my upstairs bedroom (that faces in the direction of the ADSB antenna). With the Stratus, it can be anywhere in my house, and it still receives this signal just fine. If you are in an area with plenty of towers, the stratux shouldn't be a problem, but if you live in a fringe area, I'd suggest the Stratus. It must have amplified antennas...
Just as an FYI, the Stratus power plug has also had issues (it's a weak point on many devices) and I've seen reports of "out of warranty, too bad, so sad."

I sold my Stratus 2 in favor if a Stratux last year and have not seen much difference in practical performance (I'm not too concerned with being able to receive ADS-B weather in my house ;)), although I would definitely expect a commercial product costing 4X as much to be at least marginally more robust. Same reason some prefer XM to FIS-B.

Has anyone tried using the much cheaper Scout that works with Foreflight instead of Stratus?
I was just looking at an ad for one of these. It is very small/compact. I'd love to see a comparison. I don't think they have any kind of AHRS though...

Has anyone tried using the much cheaper Scout that works with Foreflight instead of Stratus?

Yes I have one (I gave it to my dad). Works great just no “fancy” features like AHRS, etc. if you just want traffic and weather it works great. You do need an external battery for it.

I am happy with my stratus 2. Wouldn’t buy one now,with all the panel mounted options coming out Now.

Many ADS-B transponders make the Stratus redundant, but if you don’t have that functionality then it’s a fantastic device. No complaints and don’t see what could really be done to make it better at this point. Battery life is more than enough for even longer round trips and if more is needed one can just plug it into a panel USB power outlet or portable battery pack. Customer support is good too. Emailed them about something one weekend and got a very helpful reply back from someone, in the USA, within an hour or two.

Build a Stratux unit for much less. You even have AHRS with many software packages except FF.

Back