Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. . .

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Sundancer, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Jdm

Jdm Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Jdm
    I’d buy it, but that’s speaking from someone who plans to own and fly no matter what. I’m gonna fly regardless of all sorts of things, economy, insurance, age, etc. If I’m in good health, guess what? I’m going to fly my happy arse off!

I bought one just over 18 mo ago. 1981 A36. The airplane market was high, but I found a sweetheart. It’s actually gone up considerably in value since the purchase. Crazy, I didn’t expect that!
    Bought one in 2000. 1975 C172. It was excessive because we had young kids then. Now it’s worth 4 times what I paid. Yes, I still have it.
    Bought in 1988. 1964 C150. I couldn’t afford it out right. The seller let me pay half down and make monthly installments. All based on a handshake. He ended up being one of my best friends and I miss him now. Made a 30% profit on that one when I sold it 5 years later.
    Bought in 1986. 1947 Stinson 108-1. (See my pic on the top left) There’s no way I could afford it. I was in A&P school. Bought it out of a salvage yard with a small bank loan. Couldn’t even fly it until I got my A&P license and signed it off in 1987. Should have kept it but someone made me a great offer after only putting a dozen or so hours on it.

None of these decisions wold have received a financial planner’s approval. Good thing I didn’t care. Each of them brought joy to my life. Yes, I studied my decisions to purchase, but I never micro analyzed the market or my balance sheet. I’m gonna fly and work on my airplanes until I can’t do it anymore. Period! Too many people pass on the stuff they love and regret it later.

2. DavidWhite

DavidWhite Final Approach

Display name:
    DW
    Why worry about retirement when if you’re under 40 you’ll probably never get to enjoy it anyways. Might as well buy the plane!

kaiser likes this.
  3. Sundancer

Sundancer En-Route

Display name:
    Sundog
    Widowed now, unfortunately. 41 good years. But she would have told me to not waffle and go for it.

wheaties, mcdewey and somorris like this.
  4. Half Fast

Half Fast Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Half Fast
    Sundancer likes this.
  5. Sundancer

Sundancer En-Route

Display name:
    Sundog
  6. Half Fast

Display name:
    Half Fast

Apparently old guys flying Stearmans are appealing to young lasses.....

Ed Haywood, Crashnburn and Sundancer like this.
  7. Ed Haywood

Ed Haywood Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Big Ed
    Economy only matters if you depend on it for future income. 401k balance only matters if you plan to withdraw it to pay for the plane.

8. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Works great until you clip powerlines while flying low over the water and drop the young lass into a lake . . .

Half Fast likes this.
  9. Rcmutz

Rcmutz Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    rcmutz
    Grummans…. Did someone say Grummans? I’ve owned a Cheetah or Tiger since 1999, let me know if you have questions.

Sundancer likes this.
  10. aftCG

aftCG Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    aftCG
    So why did you come here and ask? She said "buy the plane".

11. texasclouds

texasclouds En-Route

Display name:
    Mark
    Did Op splash the cash yet???

Sundancer likes this.
  12. Pinecone

Pinecone Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Pinecone
    LOVE the Tiger. Did my PP in Tigers.

I looked at them when I was looking to buy, but not many on the market then.

13. Half Fast

Display name:
    Half Fast

I spent time shopping for a Traveler before buying my Beech. @SixPapaCharlie gave me a ride in his and I really liked the plane. Unfortunately it was hard to find a good one for sale. A Cheetah or Tiger would have been even better, but the ones I found were quite pricey. It's a great family of planes, though, and I love the sliding canopy.

14. catmandu

catmandu Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Catmandu
    All you peeps saying "my plane" need to make a concerted effort to say "our plane" if the situation warrants. I have done such recently, and it pays dividends, trust me. :happydance:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Jim K likes this.
  15. Pinecone

Pinecone Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Pinecone
    Just looked online and there are a few Tigers. But the panels are 1980s. No HSI, sometimes no GPS. And a couple without ADSB.

And at "interesting" prices.

Sundancer and Rcmutz like this.
  16. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 En-Route

Display name:
    El Conquistador
    You deserve a plane of your own. You have worked hard, saved your money. Go get what you want.

Kitch and Sundancer like this.
  17. Sundancer

Sundancer En-Route

Display name:
    Sundog
    Nope. Still sitting on the money. . .connecting with more guys locally (I'm kinda new to the area); will hit the EAA chapter nearby this Saturday. Goodly number of Cheetahs and Tigers are on the market in my budget range, most with with older avionics - seeing a lot of GX55's and I'm figuring $7K - $10K to replace one of those with a modern box. I don't mind the older Century APs.

18. MooneyDriver78

MooneyDriver78 En-Route

Display name:
    Tom
    3. If you are going to travel, I doubt club membership would be happy if you took a plane for a couple of weeks.

19. Sundancer

Sundancer En-Route

Display name:
    Sundog
    Cheetah - coming up short on TBO because engine cooling is inadequate? Some reading blames it on crappy baffling plus the too-tight cowl. Glazing, etc.? Your experience?

20. 172andyou

172andyou Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    172 Guy
    Yup. That's what #1 is about. :)

The club I was in let me take a 172 for two weeks multiple times, so availability wasn't a concern. There are plenty like that, BTW.

21. Rcmutz

Rcmutz Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    rcmutz
    I haven’t had any issues. Good baffling and proper breakin is the key. I replaced cylinders on my Cheetah to get the HC STC. Breakin went fine. No issues when boroscope over the first 200 hrs before I sold her to buy my current Tiger.

Sundancer likes this.