Butter and fat

Sorry posted from my phone. Study about fat and heart disease.

That's actually fascinating. Love hearing "the rest of the story" as the late Paul Harvey said it.

Out with the carbs and sugars,in with the fat.

Out with the carbs and sugars,in with the fat.
I fear not fat, but grains and sugar. Except for sugar in chocolate. Having a turkey sandwich right now, turkey rolled up in cheese with bacon jam.:D

This is great news. Now I've got my fingers crossed for cigars!

This is great news. Now I've got my fingers crossed for cigars!

No I am sure the"science" is real there. Wait cigars makers were not sued just the cigarette makers so maybe :)

I'm pretty sure that if I live long enough, there will be a study that says bacon, booze, and babes increases your lifespan by 15 years. Of course you can add another 5 if the babe is your wife!

I'm pretty sure that if I live long enough, there will be a study that says bacon, booze, and babes increases your lifespan by 15 years. Of course you can add another 5 if the babe is your wife!

Worked for George Burns.

Just enjoy your cheeseburger when you want it. If you're fat try to to eat a little less overall and exercise a little more overall.

People overcomplicate all this with fad diets and silly dietary rules and end off no better plus they don't get to enjoy their burger or have to annoy everyone else with comments about how fattening it is and pointless food guilt.

And decrease it by 30 if she isn't.

Hell, I don't want to live forever anyway!

how long before the anti-gluten thing goes away?
Not sure it will. The idea that grain is bad is gaining steam. Now I have no idea about the folks that are gluten intolerant, but more people are choosing to avoid gluten not by necessity. Of course you can always find someone claiming dropping one thing from their diet turned them from sickly to superman.:rolleyes2:
Fat is fine, grain and sugar bad is what I believe and it works for me, we'll see what the world thinks. Cool thing is food science is so bleeped up you get to feel good about eating whatever you want.:lol:

You must eat carbs, because that's where the body gets it's power, but don't over-do it. That applies to all food groups. Simple.

You must eat carbs, because that's where the body gets it's power, but don't over-do it. That applies to all food groups. Simple.
Agree. There's always some new food item to avoid and it goes in phases. Don't overdo any food group, but unless you have some medical reason for avoiding something, most things are OK in moderation. I got this advice a long time ago from my mother who was a dietician. Of course she would probably be seen as a dinosaur now, but it's worked OK for me.

Butter is delicious.

The article is similar to the book "Good Fats, Bad Fats" by Gary Taubes.

Some of the worst garbage you can put in your body (from a "fat" standpoint) is margarine. The stuff is trash and should be avoided and instead use butter.

This is a pet peeve of mine, every time I go to a grocery store for just normal butter I have to search through multiple shelves of spreads claiming they are more butter like than the other. I just want regular butter!!!

This stuff drives me nuts. I don't want the diet, low-fat, lite, or other special versions of things. I want normal food, yet for so many products you now have to search for that.

It seems like most people are on diets and I think that's the problem. You shouldn't go on a diet you should just find a balance between lifestyle and food that works for you and do that all the time.

This is a pet peeve of mine, every time I go to a grocery store for just normal butter I have to search through multiple shelves of spreads claiming they are more butter like than the other. I just want regular butter!!!

This stuff drives me nuts. I don't want the diet, low-fat, lite, or other special versions of things. I want normal food, yet for so many products you now have to search for that.

It seems like most people are on diets and I think that's the problem. You shouldn't go on a diet you should just find a balance between lifestyle and food that works for you and do that all the time.

Try finding yogurt with all its fat intact!

Even "Whole Foods" had but 1 amongst many dozens ... and it was a one-off brand, Sheep's milk.
<sigh>

When I go on low carbs, my energy level goes through the roof, I sleep better and everything works better. Unfortunately, carbs taste so darned good and I have moments of weakness that can last for a couple months. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

A lot of friends are eating paleo, and are lean, healthy and extremely fit.

When I go on low carbs, my energy level goes through the roof, I sleep better and everything works better. Unfortunately, carbs taste so darned good and I have moments of weakness that can last for a couple months. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

A lot of friends are eating paleo, and are lean, healthy and extremely fit.

Yeah you can go low carb and not give up on energy. Case in point - I did a 90 mile bike ride this weekend fueled with zero carbs - just carne asada and lettuce wrapped cheeseburgers.

Gave up the carbs ,down 24 lbs. ,now more room for gas.

Me too. I tend to avoid anything with the words "low," "reduced," "diet," or "free" on the label. It's getting harder and harder to buy real food. Everyone's convinced that something or other in the food is going to kill them.

In the meantime, probably the most dangerous ingredient of all -- refined sugar in its bazillion forms -- is probably the most pervasive, and is even considered "organic" for labeling purposes (which is one of the many reasons I consider USDA "organic" food labeling to be bull****). Read the label on pretty much anything, and there it is. Even a lot of hot sauces have added sugar.

Another of my pet peeves has to do with the difficulty of obtaining unsweetened tea when on the road. I don't mean "sugar-free," which usually means it contains sucralose -- a molecule whose structure is way too similar to those of a whole family of now-outlawed insecticides for my comfort and consumption. I would like either something unsweetened, or something sweetened with stevia, monk fruit, or some other alternative whose chemical structure doesn't resemble chlordane.

There's always water, of course; but I refuse to play into the bottled water racket. If I don't bring enough of my own, I'd rather drink out of a leaky fire hydrant than pay what stores are charging for bottled water. Dopey yuppies complain about the gas prices and whine about global warming, but then they pay ~ $8.00 / gallon for water that had to be schlepped in on smoke-belching, diesel-fueled trucks that get 4 MPG. Sheesh.

-Rich

I was watching something the other day about volunteers in St. Lucia helping train them about "nutrition standards" my question was what standards? Want to make them fat and lazy like the USA :D

There's always water, of course; but I refuse to play into the bottled water racket. If I don't bring enough of my own, I'd rather drink out of a leaky fire hydrant than pay what stores are charging for bottled water. Dopey yuppies complain about the gas prices and whine about global warming, but then they pay ~ $8.00 / gallon for water that had to be schlepped in on smoke-belching, diesel-fueled trucks that get 4 MPG. Sheesh.

-Rich

That makes two of us. Tap water (in most places) is OK by me. I just refill an empty pop bottle I keep in the truck. YEP! I'm cheap. :yes: :D

That makes two of us. Tap water (in most places) is OK by me. I just refill an empty pop bottle I keep in the truck. YEP! I'm cheap. :yes: :D

Yeah the US has a great municipal water supply. This whole filtering water/bottled water movement has always been perplexing to me, seems like a bunch of people searching for a problem they can buy a solution for.

That said, I'm on well water with a high level of iron oxide so I do use a britta filter on the sink... usually. Sometimes the bathroom sink is closer and I just cup my hands under the faucet and drink. That or the garden hose. Do kids still drink from garden hoses? I used to... well still do sometimes.

Yeah the US has a great municipal water supply. This whole filtering water/bottled water movement has always been perplexing to me, seems like a bunch of people searching for a problem they can buy a solution for.

That said, I'm on well water with a high level of iron oxide so I do use a britta filter on the sink... usually. Sometimes the bathroom sink is closer and I just cup my hands under the faucet and drink. That or the garden hose. Do kids still drink from garden hoses? I used to... well still do sometimes.

My well water has a lot of calcium, which is fine by me, but I use a filter for the water that goes into the cappuccino machine (as well as for my yuppie friends and relatives who gasp when they find no bottled water in the fridge).

-Rich

I thought the yuppies turned on bottled water(evil plastic) and now love refilling those aluminum canteens. Obviously tap water is free but a case of bottled water is cheap at the supermarket 3 bucks or so. Summertime I will usually keep a case in the truck just to have water on hand without mental effort.

Bottled water is regulated by the FDA and monitored for 17 constituents. Tap water is regulated by State health to Federal SDWA or higher standards and monitored for roughly 120 constituents.

In most cases though, bottled water companies just repackage tap water, sometimes passing it through a carbon filter to remove taste residuals if they are present.

I'm waiting for the anti-carb thing to go away... as I guiltily eat pasta and rice. Well, maybe not so guiltily. :D

stroganoff! includes everything that has been banned or advocated for at one time or another.

butter, egg noodles, beef (or chicken), sour cream.....

stroganoff! includes everything that has been banned or advocated for at one time or another.

butter, egg noodles, beef (or chicken), sour cream.....
Yum! I still remember the stroganoff my aunt would cook when I was a kid. She lived to her late 80s and was active until the day she died.

Back