Busted my Commercial checkride. Now what?

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
So feel free to send slings and arrows but I failed my ride. Many of the maneuvers were IMHO within ACS standards but I got a bad case of helmet fire after my steep turns didn't go as well as I normally do them. The DPE was unhappy with my coordination even though I ended on speed, heading, and altitude. He challenged me and my nerves got the better of me. After that I fought him and my abilities the rest of the way.

My emergency procs, and XC went fine. We came in for our first landing and did a short field. I dropped it in right on the spot fully in command of the plane. But since I came in on a high descent rate a (intentionally) he said I was not stabablized and asked me to taxi back to the FBO.

I acknowledge that I blew my Pylons given the high winds and how I set up, but after our debrief and consulting the standards I was within the tolerances for everything else. He told me to fly the maneuvers as spelled out in the AFH. So he failed ALL my maneuvers.

I've cruised thru all my ratings, scored in the 90s on all my writtens, and my orals have all been a breeze; so today was quite a shock to my confidence (maybe I need to be knocked down a peg).

Question is, what now? My CFI was as shocked as I was. I know I'll need some remediation but when re-taking the checkride is there anything I should expect or be aware of?

Sounds to me like you got nervous and tightened up. It happens. Get a little more practice and learn some deep breathing techniques to help you relax. You know you have it in you to do this. So just do it and don't worry about that last ride.

(Sounds easy, huh)?

Ain’t no biggie.

You just need to go up with your CFI and go through the checkride again with him. Then you need to decide if you think the DPE was fair with you or not. If you think he was, then go back to him again for the retake. If you think he wasn’t fair and are uncomfortable with him, find another. You’ll be fine.

He’s required to tell of the first bust and then give you the option to continue. He can’t bust on the last maneuver and then tell you you failed everything prior.
Yeah, I was just about to say the same thing. As soon as you busted the first maneuver he should’ve thrown in the flag right then and there.

Sorry to hear, I know things like these are a pride killer, but it doesn’t make you any less of a pilot. Keep your chin up!

Was this a salty guy or a fresh DPE? Sorry to hear that.... I know the feeling. My first try at Instrument was a redo. Oral was solid, I blew a DME arc and it went down hill from there. Real kick in the nuts, but tell ya what, say crew that. Go up with your CFI a few more times, and even get a different DPE if possible. If you felt you were solid, and your CFI does to, the common detonator is not you.

How long was the oral? Did you know all the questions real quick or were you stumbling and fishing? Any reason that he might have thought on the ground you were not ready? Did he ask if you wanted to defer before flying?

Sorry to hear that. But kudos on some good introspection. I’ve yet to have a single check-ride that I sailed through, right through and past ATP. Some I was prouder of than others. At this level they get serious, as now it’s about the safety of paying passengers.

Helmet fire is real. Being able to move on and perform is a big part of being a pro. It’s not easy to do. It’s mental.

In hindsight the check ride I am most proud of was the roughest one. I pulled through but only after fighting back from some serious helmet fire. I wish I could tell you how to do it. But I’m sure awareness is the start. Deep breaths and move forward and focus. You push forward and never give up. That goes for in the check-ride, that goes in real emergencies, and that goes for getting to and through the next check ride. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's hard, but don't look at your past, well, just look at it long enough to figure out what you will do differently next time, you got knocked down, but you didn't get your head cut off, it was just a checkride, work with your CFI some more and carry on. Go eat some ice cream, you'll feel better

Ain’t no biggie.

You just need to go up with your CFI and go through the checkride again with him. Then you need to decide if you think the DPE was fair with you or not. If you think he was, then go back to him again for the retake. If you think he wasn’t fair and are uncomfortable with him, find another. You’ll be fine.

I can use a different examiner? Hmm. I did my instrument with this DPE and was hoping to use him as a hiring reference. He seems to like me and has been complimentary of my knowledge and airwork in the past. Today came as a total shock...

If I were to offer advice, it would be to make sure that the next time you take the checkride, you don't screw anything up. ;)

He’s required to tell of the first bust and then give you the option to continue. He can’t bust on the last maneuver and then tell you you failed everything prior.
I wish DPE's would follow that. In my experience i've had students not know they failed until they were doing paper work. I dislike the DPE system its so inconsistent.

I can use a different examiner? Hmm. I did my instrument with this DPE and was hoping to use him as a hiring reference. He seems to like me and has been complimentary of my knowledge and airwork in the past. Today came as a total shock...

Yes but the second DPE will have you repeat everything including the oral. The same DPE will usually give you credit for everything you did right the first time. That’s why you need to decide if it’s you or him that was primarily at fault.

After a little cooling off period, can you or your CFI reach out to the DPE and ask what few things stuck out to him? Maybe he knows or thinks you’re better than that and is trying to challenge you. Long shot. Just throwing a different idea out there.

Hope you do great the next go round.

Good luck next time around. I’m sure you’ll do just fine!

Unless it’s a personality issue, I wouldn’t swap DPEs.

As for hiring reference, how you do the second time around may play in your favor, but I don’t know that I’d be looking for a DPE as a reference unless he/she really knows you and is willing to put his/her credibility on the line for you.

Check ride failures occur; what and how you learned from that experience is what counts.

After a little cooling off period, can you or your CFI reach out to the DPE and ask what few things stuck out to him? Maybe he knows or thinks you’re better than that and is trying to challenge you. Long shot. Just throwing a different idea out there.

Hope you do great the next go round.

The thought did occur to me. Maybe he wanted to see how I handled things when they didn't go well (oops).

Another positive view possibly... when you do pass, you'll know you're legit, and some guy didn't just go easy on you.
I've heard some stories (mostly on ppl) but dang they were lax.

Stuff happens,do some practice with your CFI,then take a practice run with a different instructor

Not everyone fails a Checkride, but it’s pretty common. For me it was CFI. Sounds like you had a few areas that weren’t flawless, and if your nerves were getting the better of you, the DPE may have thought you had some (lack of) confidence issues. I’ve always felt the commercial was labeled the easiest Checkride (and it largely is), but I think it’s the second most important after CFI. After all, you’re getting a rating that allows you to fly the unsuspecting public around for hire - that’s really quite the responsibility.

Get retrained and go for it again.

Oh man your gonna feel the wrath of all the DPEs on here tellin ya how bad you are :p

Last edited:
You're not the first person who has to re-do part of your ride. I got too low on a non-precision approach and blew my first attempt at the instrument ride. Some time with my CFI and I passed on the second try. Go up with your CFI, fix the parts you failed and do the re-ride with the DPE. You'll nail it the next time. I second what others have said, the DPE is supposed to tell you when you fail, not wait until the last minute.

No, it just said all of section IV lol
Section IV is takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds. From your write-up it sounds like you only did one landing and that’s what he failed you on, so you need to redo your short field landing and do your other landings. Are you sure that he is making you redo all of your maneuvers or just section IV?

Section IV is takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds. From your write-up it sounds like you only did one landing and that’s what he failed you on, so you need to redo your short field landing and do your other landings. Are you sure that he is making you redo all of your maneuvers or just section IV?

Sorry, section V performance and ground reference maneuvers. No wonder I failed lol

That’s why you need to go up with your CFI and work it out, get signed off, go back and show that DPE that you know your stuff and you are a better pilot then you showed that day.

Yes but the second DPE will have you repeat everything including the oral. The same DPE will usually give you credit for everything you did right the first time. That’s why you need to decide if it’s you or him that was primarily at fault.
Why would the second DPE make him redo the oral or any maneuvers that aren't listed on the notice of disapproval? I failed my private checkride, went up with a different DPE (original was unavailable), did a single landing and got my certificate.

Now, the second examiner may charge you the full rate, while the original examiner might give you a break, but I don't think that's a compelling reason to go back to him if there's a personality issue.

So feel free to send slings and arrows but I failed my ride. Many of the maneuvers were IMHO within ACS standards but I got a bad case of helmet fire after my steep turns didn't go as well as I normally do them. The DPE was unhappy with my coordination even though I ended on speed, heading, and altitude. He challenged me and my nerves got the better of me. After that I fought him and my abilities the rest of the way.

My emergency procs, and XC went fine. We came in for our first landing and did a short field. I dropped it in right on the spot fully in command of the plane. But since I came in on a high descent rate a (intentionally) he said I was not stabablized and asked me to taxi back to the FBO.

I acknowledge that I blew my Pylons given the high winds and how I set up, but after our debrief and consulting the standards I was within the tolerances for everything else. He told me to fly the maneuvers as spelled out in the AFH. So he failed ALL my maneuvers.

I've cruised thru all my ratings, scored in the 90s on all my writtens, and my orals have all been a breeze; so today was quite a shock to my confidence (maybe I need to be knocked down a peg).

Question is, what now? My CFI was as shocked as I was. I know I'll need some remediation but when re-taking the checkride is there anything I should expect or be aware of?

Next time wait til you don’t have high winds.

Next: keep your chin up and press on.

Almost everyone in aviation has an "oops" of some sort on their professional record, so you're in good company.

It was a ****ty day to take a checkride. Weather wise.

I guess it wasn't, maybe it was a Sharty day to take a checkride? Anyway you get the point. Not an awesome day to take it.

I'm not saying it was the weather, and I'm not saying it was you. I have no idea. But learn from it, and take the time to really learn from it.

I failed my PPL, I aced everything after that. I think that i did learn from it, after I cooled off.

Back