Bugs on the leading edge

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Don't know if this is the forum for this post - but its the closest thing I could find.

I was out in the hangar today (just hanging out because I had a few hours and nothing to do), and I decided I'd try to clean some of the MANY bugs off the leading edge of my wing. I had heard that pledge is useful, but it wouldn't work unless I put a lot of elbow grease into it, and I didn't want to damage the paint job on the airplane. I also heard that water would work, so I got a squirt bottle full of water and that helped take some off, but there are some really stubborn ones.

Any suggestions?

Where is your Simple Green Aircraft Nick, i have mine Dave G.

You have to get them right away. When I was in Marfa, TX getting my commercial glider, we washed leading edges every day on the gliders and towplane. They come off really easy when they're fresh. We also needed to keep everything as clean as possible. Even with 180 HP in the Cessna 150, we were still climbing slow in the high DA of west texas.

tony

NickDBrennan said:
Don't know if this is the forum for this post - but its the closest thing I could find.

I was out in the hangar today (just hanging out because I had a few hours and nothing to do), and I decided I'd try to clean some of the MANY bugs off the leading edge of my wing. I had heard that pledge is useful, but it wouldn't work unless I put a lot of elbow grease into it, and I didn't want to damage the paint job on the airplane. I also heard that water would work, so I got a squirt bottle full of water and that helped take some off, but there are some really stubborn ones.

Any suggestions?

Any doubt now on why our small planes are called "bugsmashers"? :D Nice thing about flying around here most of the year. If there are any bugs to smash, the rain shower on short final will wash them off for you. :p

Ghery said:
Any doubt now on why our small planes are called "bugsmashers"? :D Nice thing about flying around here most of the year. If there are any bugs to smash, the rain shower on short final will wash them off for you. :p

You know, you might have hit on something there. Maybe to start with, I'll take her out for a pattern next time it rains, and then just keep the bugs off from that point on when they're fresh.

Also - Simple Green Aircraft....I'll have to look into that.

Wash Wax-All, hands down. Terrific for wiping the leading edges after every flight.

HR

I use Carbon X from Sporty's and a scratch pad. After each flight I clean off the leading edge wtih Fantastik. Five minute job.

Paul Allen said:
I use Carbon X from Sporty's and a scratch pad. After each flight I clean off the leading edge wtih Fantastik. Five minute job.

The scratch pad doesn't damage the paint at all?

There are two dynamics here. First is to keep the leading edge waxed, and second is to remove the bugs while they're fresh.

I use Arrow Magnolia Fleet Wash (from Sportys) to wash the airplane. Then some WashWaxAll on the leading edges periodically. After every flight I use a wet towel to wipe off the bugs. They come right off. If it's been a long flight or, say, a trip out, 3 hour meeting and a trip back, sometimes I have to let the water soak in for a minute or two to soften the remains, but it seldom devolves into elbow grease.

NickDBrennan said:
Simple Green Aircraft....I'll have to look into that.
I did exactly that yesterday afternoon, bored stiff with this NE weather. I was cleaning while the mechanic was changing the stall warning horn. I use Simple Green Aircraft. Very good but there are very stubborn bugs anyway. It's like they want to get even: "You killed me, you're stuck with me."

OK - so where do you buy this stuff at. I checked at the pilot shop, but it wasn't there. I checked at the FBO, and it wasn't there. Is the only option mail order stuff?

It's easier to stop them sticking than clean them off - an ounce of prevention etc., etc. While waxing works well, one of my partners came up with a clear transparent tape from 3M, about 3-4" wide which he affixed to the leading edge. Works like Teflon, just wipe clean.

Rudy said:
Hey Nick,

There is a wax called Rejex. It works great, after getting the wing clean if you keep it waxed the bugs will wipe off really easy.
I use this on the belly. Eliminates exhaust marks -- but then, having a dark blue belly helps, too!

bstratt said:
It's easier to stop them sticking than clean them off - an ounce of prevention etc., etc. While waxing works well, one of my partners came up with a clear transparent tape from 3M, about 3-4" wide which he affixed to the leading edge. Works like Teflon, just wipe clean.

This can't possibly be legal on a certified airplane, can it?

Rudy said:
Hey Nick,

There is a wax called Rejex. It works great, after getting the wing clean if you keep it waxed the bugs will wipe off really easy.

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

I'm with Rudy on this stuff. A freind that's an A&P and sells planes used it a lot and recommended it to me. Still checking to see if it's O.K. on the P-Baron boots. Worked fine on the A-36 leading edges.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
I'm with Rudy on this stuff. A freind that's an A&P and sells planes used it a lot and recommended it to me. Still checking to see if it's O.K. on the P-Baron boots. Worked fine on the A-36 leading edges.

Dave
I will use the rejex on the leading edges and then just use Turtle wax on the rest. It works great.

The first time i cleaned bugs off my wings i was there for about 2 hours doing it.

Talk about a sore arm.
I will never do that again!!!

Rudy said:
I will use the rejex on the leading edges and then just use Turtle wax on the rest. It works great.

The first time i cleaned bugs off my wings i was there for about 2 hours doing it.

Talk about a sore arm.
I will never do that again!!!
It's worse with a high wing, because then you must apply elbow grease above your head!

Constant vigilance!

Ken Ibold said:
It's worse with a high wing, because then you must apply elbow grease above your head!

Constant vigilance!
Haha, yet another reason why low wings are the way to go!

Get the bugs off the windshield and leading edges before they internal bug juices dry up.

Significant amount of Wash Wax All Regular on the windshield, let sit for a few moments, wipe with clean soft towel.

Spary Wash Wax All Regular on the leading edge and let soak in for a few minutes then wipe with the towel you used on the windshield.

If you don't wipe the leading edges after the flight use the Heavy Duty Wash Wax All instead with additional effort. Even if I'm running late I like to at least get the windshield done after each flight but I will leave the wings and elevator go if I have to.

I did read an article one that reported a paint shop had to do additional work to remove the Pledge that had built up under the paint before being able to prep and re-paint an aircraft.

Len

Lance F said:

Why do you say that Lance? It's as thin as scotch tape and you wouldn't even notice unless you looked very closely. The plane has passed several annuals since being applied. It doesn't change aerodynamics and is easily removed if you wanted to.

Wash-Wax All Blue with the WWA AeroScrubber works fine for immediate removal, but once hardened on, WWA Red (Heavy Duty) works better. Also, laying wet (WET, not just damp) towels on the leading edge for 10-15 minutes can soften the really hard dried-on bugs.

bstratt said:
Why do you say that Lance? It's as thin as scotch tape and you wouldn't even notice unless you looked very closely. The plane has passed several annuals since being applied. It doesn't change aerodynamics and is easily removed if you wanted to.

Ice can be pretty thin, hell smooth too.

Last time I checked you don't want it on your leading edge.

But what do I know.

Ron Levy said:
Wash-Wax All Blue with the WWA AeroScrubber works fine for immediate removal, but once hardened on, WWA Red (Heavy Duty) works better. Also, laying wet (WET, not just damp) towels on the leading edge for 10-15 minutes can soften the really hard dried-on bugs.

Hey hey - I didn't even think of the towel trick. Thanks Ron!

bstratt said:

Sounds like a "decorative surface covering" to me. As long as you don't apply to balanced control surfaces you should be legal.

NickDBrennan said:

I was out in the hangar today (just hanging out because I had a few hours and nothing to do), and I decided I'd try to clean some of the MANY bugs off the leading edge of my wing.
Any suggestions?

Your wing, Nick ,Your wing. I thought the Rudder was yours not the wing. Get the guy that owns the wing to wash it himself.

Get the bugs off initially with GoJo (non abrasive). Then apply Rejex at least to the leading edges and the belly (I use it on the entire plane). Bugs (if they stick at all) , oil, grease, etc wipe off easily. You can order Rejex online at http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html I'm sure the other stuff recommended here works, but I am amazed at how well Rejex works, even a year after it is applied.

Lance F said:
Hmmmmm. Interesting point. That begs the question about the vinyl I applied to my airplane. It never occurred to me that it might not be "legal".

bstratt said:
It just seemed like attaching something to an aerodynamically critical area wouldn't be allowed. I'm personally not against the idea at all. I think there are many things that can very safely be added to planes that we can't do because of the severe restrictions of certification. You know, unless it says you specifically can do it, then you can't without an STC or other paperwork exercise.

lancefisher said:
Sounds like a "decorative surface covering" to me. As long as you don't apply to balanced control surfaces you should be legal.
This goes to my post earlier about the vinyl I applied to the Extra. What constitutes a "balanced" control surface? How would the application of a "decorative surface covering" differ from paint on such a surface?

NickDBrennan said:
Hey hey - I didn't even think of the towel trick. Thanks Ron!

And use as hot a water as you can stand. Hot wet towels really remove the bugs quickly.

But, enough about those pesky bugs, how do you like the flying?

Lance F said:
It just seemed like attaching something to an aerodynamically critical area wouldn't be allowed. I'm personally not against the idea at all. I think there are many things that can very safely be added to planes that we can't do because of the severe restrictions of certification. You know, unless it says you specifically can do it, then you can't without an STC or other paperwork exercise.

I sure hope this wasn't an aerodynamically critical area because all the racers had them.

The vinyl is split between the 2 and the 4 to allow free movement of the rudder.

Last edited:
Lance F said:
II think there are many things that can very safely be added to planes that we can't do because of the severe restrictions of certification. You know, unless it says you specifically can do it, then you can't without an STC or other paperwork exercise.
I have a VFR airplane and a portable electronic attitude indicator. I have it attached to the back (inside) of my panel with Dual Lock and plugged into a fused 12V aux power plug I had installed on the firewall. The AI can mount in a standard 3 1/8 inch instrument hole, but I have to use the Dual Lock. The FAA says if I use screws, it's "installed" rather than "portable" and I have to get a field approval or an STC. One FAA guy told me that, even with it being portable, I should placard it "For VFR Use Only." Ridiculous. I think I will get something experimental.

gibbons said:
This goes to my post earlier about the vinyl I applied to the Extra. What constitutes a "balanced" control surface? How would the application of a "decorative surface covering" differ from paint on such a surface?

Paint is a decorative coating, but you cannot just paint your ailerons and fly.

On most airplanes, the ailerons, elevator, and rudder are balanced. That means that there are counterweights which improve the flutter margin and balance can be critical to safety. For that reason, any time these parts are modified in any way (patching, painting etc) the CG of the result must be checked against limits in the service documentation by an A&P. Flaps are typically not considered "balanced" and when this is true, you can paint them or apply flowered contact paper to your heart's content as long without any A&P involvement. AFaIK the same is true for any other part of the wings including the leading edge. That's not to say that you couldn't mess up the airflow and lift on a laminar flow lifting surface by improperly "installing" a "decorative coating", just that you have a legal right to do so. On the typical Skyhawk or Warrior wing, you could probably add a shag carpet covering with minimal impact, so some nice smooth vinyl tape should be unnoticeable lift wise.

Re: Getting Something Experimental

Ken Ibold said:
Ridiculous. I think I will get something experimental

Ken,

Going the experimental route sure looks like it opens up a lot of possibilities with regards to engines, guages, auto pilots, etc... It would also fit with your job at the EAA.

I often think building something like one of the Rotax powered two seat hulled amphibians would be a lot of fun, both the building and the flying.

Then I see ads in TaP for a Grumman AA1x for under $15K which would be a lot of fun to fly. It would also be a nice aircraft for Karen and the kids to learn to fly. At that price the aircraft is probably a "flying work in progress". Of course, you can only land a Lynx on water once.

Len

Back