Bugatti 100p crashes

Horrible news, I've been following this project, so sad.

Man, that's sad. Was looking forward to seeing that aircraft fly.

Oh no. I've been following their FB page for well over a year and I was looking forward to hearing about a successful series of flights...

Rest in peace.

RIP been following the Bugatti story for a long time.

Such a great accomplishment in the history of aviation. So sad, RIP. Some of the video I've seen sure looks like it wasn't performing very well. I'm not sure they've flown in the heat like we're having here in Oklahoma. It's been almost 90deg by 9am every day.

Crap. That is terrible.

I had the privilege of seeing the 100p in person at Harvey Young Airport in Tulsa, just a month or two before the first test flight. I was being a little nosy when I walked into the hangar, but Scotty invited us right in and spoke with us for probably an hour as if we were long time friends. He seemed to be a very nice man, and his dedication to aviation and this project was admirable. I hate this.

RIP, Scotty.

Very sad for the death and families.
But...that damn thing was an obnoxiously complicated piece of crap. A car designer is NOT an aircraft designer and auto design crap was evident throughout. Really a poor design. Very sorry the pilot didn't see what seemed so obvious.
Still, always sad when we lose one. Very sad, very sorry for the loss, please burn anything left of that damned thing.

Man....

I really was looking to that project.

RIP

You're kidding, right?

To reverse engineer an airplane that originally never flew, was extremely complicated with no available plans and very little documentation and then fly it! I would say that's a pretty large task to overcome and a piece of aviation history... What have you done lately?

Very sad for the death and families.
But...that damn thing was an obnoxiously complicated piece of crap. A car designer is NOT an aircraft designer and auto design crap was evident throughout. Really a poor design. Very sorry the pilot didn't see what seemed so obvious.
Still, always sad when we lose one. Very sad, very sorry for the loss, please burn anything left of that damned thing.

What an awful thing to say, especially today... I bet you wouldn't say that to the faces of the pilots family. Or to the faces of all the dedicated men and women who spent the last 7 years dedicated to this project. Go troll somewhere else..

What have you done lately?

Sue as heck didn't "reverse engineer" a piece of crap that killed somebody.
When are you going to learn that the truth isn't trolling. You want to cry and whine - go find somebody that wants to cry and whine with you.
That thing was scary from day one. It never flew before for a damn good reason. A lot of time can be spent on dangerous junk and obviously was. The results speak for themselves.

Yep, the original never flew because Germany invaded France before it was flight ready. To keep it out of the German's hands, the aircraft was disassembled and stored all over the country.

I watched a documentary on the build of this aircraft and remember thinking it won't work. It was at least two or more years ago that I watched it but the lingering memory was that this aircraft would never fly well. So sad to see an aviator pass this way.

This was supposed to be the last flight before he donated it to a museum. Maybe he knew it was to difficult to fly all the time and as a piece of history, should be set aside for other to see. Very very sad

I watched a documentary on the build of this aircraft and remember thinking it won't work. It was at least two or more years ago that I watched it but the lingering memory was that this aircraft would never fly well. So sad to see an aviator pass this way.

Serious question... I'm curious as to why you thought the airplane wouldn't fly well? What did you see in the documentary that would make you think this... I'm not talking about the complicated driveshaft/gearbox setup(I agree they were asking for trouble from that), I'm talking about aerodynamically?

As I said, I can't remember the reasons for my thoughts but only remember the lingering feeling of doom with the aircraft. If I watched again maybe it would jog my memory but I am not sure that I want to.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sue as heck didn't "reverse engineer" a piece of crap that killed somebody.
When are you going to learn that the truth isn't trolling. You want to cry and whine - go find somebody that wants to cry and whine with you.
That thing was scary from day one. It never flew before for a damn good reason. A lot of time can be spent on dangerous junk and obviously was. The results speak for themselves.
Just like the Wright Flyer II, dangerous sh ! t.

While I have no information as to the cause of this crash, the general history of buried engine with drive shaft designs has been poor. I refer you to the Airacobra and King Cobra series for one. Even the original Cirrus proved to be a problem. I'm thinking the fame of the Bugatti was it's spectacular streamlining back in the era of biplanes, struts, and wires more so than it's engineering expertise.

While I have no information as to the cause of this crash, the general history of buried engine with drive shaft designs has been poor. I refer you to the Airacobra and King Cobra series for one. Even the original Cirrus proved to be a problem. I'm thinking the fame of the Bugatti was it's spectacular streamlining back in the era of biplanes, struts, and wires more so than it's engineering expertise.

A mid-engined airplane seems about as rare as a true mid-engine car. In both cases it would seem the primary advantage is outweighed by whatever disadvantages arise, otherwise one would expect more of both examples.
We don't know if the mechanical configuration was the reason, or a contributor to this outcome. The concentric counter-rotating props may have been more of an issue than the engine location - the complex gearbox to achieve this bolted on to a RR Griffon comes to mind.
It could be that the airframe design itself, intended as a racing plane I believe, was inherently unstable around one or more axis. I would have thought in this day and age of sophisticated software and cheap computing that would have been modelled by the team building the reproduction and perhaps it was.

If I remember correctly the airplane was equipped with two motorcycle engines. In my unprofessional opinion that has to be about the worst application ever. Most motorcycle engines (I think these were Hyabusa ones) are fast turning engines that are designed for performance and not longevity or reliability.

If I remember correctly the airplane was equipped with two motorcycle engines. In my unprofessional opinion that has to be about the worst application ever. Most motorcycle engines (I think these were Hyabusa ones) are fast turning engines that are designed for performance and not longevity or reliability.

Geez, the mechanical complexity of this thing is compounding exponentially...

True, but the airplane wasn't intended to be reliable for very long. It was intended to prove the design would fly, and then go to a museum. I think it's was reasonable to assume that a 'busa engine would hold up for a few hours. They have pretty darn good HP to weight ratio to boot.

The canted driveshaft gave me the willies, hopefully their is enough left so that we can understand what happened. May the pilot rest in peace.

I have a sign in my office and classroom that says:

"Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't bother those who are doing it"

Seems adequate for the thread.

Back