Bug removal off wing

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Best soap or A1 steak sauce for bug removal off wing. Not having tried the A1, any other product that work good on dried on bugs.

Plain H2O and a clean terry cloth towel.

Might need to let it soak for 30-45 seconds before wiping, but that usually gets it without harming the paint.

Water with a few drops of Dawn dish soap. Windex. Plexus.

The longer you let them soak, the softer they become. I usually use plain old water on the leading edges like Mike does...

Too many people in a hurry and want to elbow grease them off.
Place wet towels on the leading edges, walk away - go for lunch.
When you come back, over 90% will slip right off.

I've tried a lot of things, and found the best is the universal solvent -- water.

What do you guys prefer in your windshield washer in your cars?

I use Wash Wax All... Spray it on and let it sit 10 or 15 mins. then spray again and wipe it off. I even use it on my boots...:)

Water. Like others have said, spray all your leading edges. Then go back at start at the beginning. That gives them time to soften. They wipe off in nothing flat. It also helps to keep a good coat of wax on the leading edges.

About 10 parts water to 1 part Purple Cleaner works pretty well...

Tim shudders. Soak a piece of aluminum skin in purple cleaner for a week, pull it out, rinse it off and see what it looks like. If you do this test you'll never use it on your plane again, trust me.

Water. Like others have said, spray all your leading edges. Then go back at start at the beginning. That gives them time to soften. They wipe off in nothing flat. It also helps to keep a good coat of wax on the leading edges.

Tim shudders. Soak a piece of aluminum skin in purple cleaner for a week, pull it out, rinse it off and see what it looks like. If you do this test you'll never use it on your plane again, trust me.
Only on painted leading edge... not directly on aluminum.

Only on painted leading edge... not directly on aluminum.

And all your lap joints are completely and perfectly sealed with paint so none wicks in there and stays? The joints are where the problems arise with caustic cleaners.

It's your airplane. But I don't let that stuff within 100 miles of my hangar...especially when, like many here have attested to, water alone likely does just as good of a job.

Some of the glider club guys wipe down the leading edges of their fiberglass ships with baby wipes after every flight.

Has anyone mentioned just water and a terry cloth towel yet? Works for me.

:p

I start out with an old, clean cotton Tshirt on the window. When it gets dirty it gets relegated to cleaning the wing. When that gets dirty it gets relegated to cleaning the belly. Cotton is least likely to scratch or take the paint off.

I use auto detail spray. Takes a 30 second soak and wipe with towel sprayed with it. Works ok and leaves wax alone or augments it.

Land, wipe with some soapy water, then go do whatever you were going to do.

They clean off quickly if you don't let them bake on. And in TX they bake on quickly.

One of the joys of club ownership is arriving to find the last guys bugs.

If you keep your plane/wings well waxed simply spray Wash Wax All on it and wipe them right off. But don't use that as your actual wax. It's a great detail spray to use for bug removal and light cleaning. Personally I buff out once per year and seal then follow up with Wash Wax All

I fly in a defensive manner as to avoid hitting bugs. However, though I manage to dodge most of'em, I do hit a few (I'm not perfect!). When that happens, I use distilled water and/or Pledge and microfiber towels to wipe off the two or three bug carcasses I find.

Anyone try orange hand wipes?
I know a guy whose using it with good results :)

Another Washwax user here. Does the trick every time.

Of course having a good wax job is the proper foundation to work off of (see the insulator wax)

Aside from a occasional full wax job, I use this stuff

484101601_L_16790ce8.jpg

It leaves the area quite slick, I'll spray my leading edge, let it sit for a moment, wipe and most the bugs come right off, plus it leaves the area slick, after a few times doing this, getting the bugs off its a easy a spray and wipe.

They also make a interior (dash etc) spray, Lucas makes some good stuff.

Water and a clean towel,followed up with a marine cleaner wax.

Aside from plain water and microfiber, Wash Wax and/or Lemon Pledge seem to be universally loved and used like crazy based on my extensive 30 minutes of google research.

do dead bugs on leading edges become natural vortex generators? :cool:

I like to curse at the bugs and tell them to move to the right if they value their lives.

Interesting how many guys refer to waxing their planes. My Cessna is painted with Imron. Waxing is not recommended for Imron and similar polyurethane paints. Beware.

Best soap or A1 steak sauce for bug removal off wing. Not having tried the A1, any other product that work good on dried on bugs.

Whatever you use, let is soak as suggested above. Be aware that soap and water, and the mechanical act of wiping all remove sealants. So consider using something that replenishes your sealant when you are cleaning.

My Cessna is painted with Imron. Waxing is not recommended for Imron and similar polyurethane paints. Beware.

I'm curious, why? (serious question)

Mine's Imron and I've waxed it at least twice a year since 2002. What signs of damage should I be looking for?

I'm curious, why? (serious question)

Mine's Imron and I've waxed it at least twice a year since 2002. What signs of damage should I be looking for?
I have no experience with any of this (but I never let it stop me from posting!). I found the Imron tech sheet. But I don't know if there are older versions out there with different care instructions that what's recommended now:

http://www.axaltacs.com/content/dam.../documents/tds/AVI-TDS-Care-of-Finish-Eng.pdf

http://www.axaltacs.com/us/en_US/pr...tings/aviation/products/technical-manual.html

Interesting how many guys refer to waxing their planes. My Cessna is painted with Imron. Waxing is not recommended for Imron and similar polyurethane paints. Beware.
If a coat of carnuba will damage the paint, you've got the wrong paint on your plane.

Back