BS in Aerospace Engineering - Now wants to be an A&P

Orbital Science may have some AE openings his week.

AXV7ZyKl.jpg

How about applying for an engineering position with the USAF. He could do five years as an officer and get the GI Bill to fund his A&P schooling. He would probably work at Wright-Pat in Dayton and could join their club and learn about wrenching and flying.

A friend of mine's kid has a Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering from Virginia Tech. He's got a pretty good job by his dad's estimation but he's bored out of his mind. The kid recently visited the Aviation Institute of Maintenance in Manassas. He saw the current class building a Nieuport 24 and now he wants to drop $40k to get his A&P. His dad, who paid for his Bachelor's, doesn't want him to go deep into debt because he's researched and found that A&Ps average about $50k/year starting salary, about $40k less than the kid's making right now, so he's attempting to talk him out of it. I told his dad that now is the best time for the kid to change careers because he's not in love or married and has no one to support. Even still, I suggested that he advise his son to keep his boring job and maybe join an active EAA chapter to make absolutely sure that's what he wants to do.

What would you advise his kid to do?

In this day and age, engineers (specialty irrelevant) are generally treated as disposable commodities and highly disrespected by their employers.
He might have far better job security and demand (even if income is less) as an A&P than as a slip-stick shooter. Over a lifetime, the A&P is likely to provide a more interesting and rewarding set of emotional feelings and esteem than would engineering

He should find the most expensive A&P school in the USA. Then go to the one in Watertown South Dakota, and donate the difference in $ to me.

There is about 200 mechanics here, I did more at LATI than most did who paid twice as much.

They have a flying 172XP they overhauled the engine. They installed a G600 and pile of other goodies.

They also have a flying Schweizer SGM2-37 motorglider.

They also have (last I knew) 727, Saberliner, 421, B55, Queenair with PT6 conversions. My class did vib analysis on the Queenair.

Every two years they tour the Sioux Falls Guard base (F16s) when the have an engine in the hush house. That was a fun day wearing double hearing protection to stand near the engine while running.

I believe they offer pilot training now including ag pilots.

Probably one of the most fun times of my life despite difficult health problems at the time.

Engineers do a lot of different things. Some are things that one particular engineer would find exciting and fun and some are things that that person would find to be boring and suckie. And, some engineers are not happy no matter what they are doing (engineering or not).

Has the person in question taken some time to look into different engineering options?

How long before he decides that being an A&P is boring?

Is he looking for a rewarding career or entertainment?

FWIW - I had a pretty good run as an engineer over about 38 years. Not all of the assignments were fun, but overall...

yup.....and no experience required.....:goofy:

Umm, you seem to be presuming fault.

Are you aware of some inside information here, or are you just jumping to conclusions, with the same non-information the rest of us have?

There are thousands of potential faults that could have caused that. Not all of them would be Orbital's fault.

Should I call it poetic justice? My youngest daughter is going to go to Aeronautical engineering school starting this spring.

An older brother worked as an engineer for Beechcraft for about 25 years and did well. I thought that was what I wanted to do when I was younger. I do think I would have been so bored. I can really say that I was happy and ready to work every day as an A&P. Money and control was never mine until I started my own business. I wouldn't change a thing.

Umm, you seem to be presuming fault.

Are you aware of some inside information here, or are you just jumping to conclusions, with the same non-information the rest of us have?

There are thousands of potential faults that could have caused that. Not all of them would be Orbital's fault.
it was a joke.....:goofy:

Great update!

My buddy's kid has been through quite a bit in the last year. He was downsized at the job that bored him, but from you guy's suggestions, he went to a local EAA meeting,

where he met a nice lady who decided to mentor him,

which lead to volunteer assignments assisting in some historic restorations,

which lead to a position in the conservation shop at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. This kid is living the dream.

I just wanted to give you an update and thank you all for your suggestions way back then...

Gotta love the aviation community.

good deal....:D

say Hi to John Anderson....my old college Prof and now a curator at Air & Space.

Last edited:
Nice... I have my BSAE and MSAE. Just recently retired from WPAFB, and am thinking of getting my AnP from the local vocational school. Maybe I'll also volunteer at the AF Museum!

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/323343994-video

I know this thread is two years old, but I figured the POA faithful would appreciate the update. The young man interviewed is the kid you guys offered direction to way back when this thread was started and it's lead to a dream career.

On behalf of his proud father, thanks a bunch!

Good for him. I think that would be incredibly interesting and satisfying work.

Back