Bruce, come back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anymouse

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Total Stud Bush Pilot
Don't let any temperamental birds run you off.

From Webster.com

Buzzard: a contemptible or rapacious person

Im confused, Bruce left??? I hope not!

He left AOPA board. AFIK he is still here. But I can't tell you when I have seen him post here last.

If you read the thread which precipitated his action, you'll see.

The expression, "No good deed goes unpunished," comes to mind.

We are, I think, fortunate to have the very strong moderation policy here. You don't sh*t on your friends.

Hopefully Bruce is still around these parts. The internet is full of a lot of bull**** and lies. I always have my bull**** filter on high when reading forums. But over time a few select people have shown a level of integrity, honesty, and wisdom. These people, including Bruce, write posts that carry a lot of validity in my eyes. I don't have to question them -- in fact I consider them to be way more valid then any answer I can get locally.

I am always fascinated with the relationships that have developed due to this forum. I have met so many friends on this forum and all of them have been of the highest character. I've never seen such a concentrated group of good people before.

Bruce was last on here at 12:49 this morning. I think he's probably still here and left the red board as others have suggested. I don't remember seeing anything here recently that'd cause him to leave.

He's left the red board more than once, and he left here once too. Sooner or later, the rest of the board will run off the riff-raff that ticked him off and he'll be back. You can't keep a good man down. :no:

Ay, carumba! That sure got nasty fast... (I knew there must be a reason I haven't visited the red board much since it was closed for renovations).

Even more interesting, but at least humorous once you've read the crap that Dr. B linked to:

http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=31142

After reading the stuff he posted in the med threads though, it leaves me wondering... If ya don't want to hear the answer, why'd ya ask the question? :dunno:
That's what I thought too. OTOH you don't need a degree in medicine to know some people are sensitive about their weight :D I wouldn't have touched his question with a ten foot pole, which is why I salute Dr. B and the other AME's who post over there.

Well, I still visit here on occasion.

Well, it happened here: http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=32451

He's a mid forties new ASEL who is chugging fluids past his lap banding and retaining fluids. The FOUR docs told him simply, independently, how to certify on the diuretic, but also that fluid retention is not something to ignore. He shot back he just was asking how to get certified, and that each of us were Nazis. That post got deleted. It went to heck from there.

I like helping folks, but this is ridiculous. So I'm here, but not in a medcial capacity.

Got to go out and fly today, how sweet it is. To: Mr. Bitts from Moore, OK: May he get some seriously needed medical care before his serum sodium gets so low he has an epileptic attack. Then we can't certify him.

Sigh. Give a man a diamond, and he shoots you for not giving him a quarter.

He's a mid forties new ASEL who is chugging fluids past his lap banding and retaining fluids. The FOUR docs told him simply, independently, how to certify on the diuretic, but also that fluid retention is not something to ignore. He shot back he just was asking how to get certified, and that each of us were Nazis. That post got deleted. It went to heck from there.

I like helping folks, but this is ridiculous. So I'm here, but not in a medcial capacity.

Got to go out and fly today, how sweet it is. To: Mr. Bitts from Moore, OK: May he get some seriously needed medical care before his serum sodium gets so low he has an epileptic attack. Then we can't certify him.

Dr. B, good you got to go fly and relieve some stress. The guy sounds like he has more than medical issues he is dealing with. You gave it your professional best.

I'd not worry....knock the dust of your sandals and move on if he chooses not to heed your advice.

Keep posting. I and most others find your comments needed and worth the effort.

Thanks,
Rick

Well, hopefully this means we get you fulltime here again? :D

Geeze, that was quite an exchange over there. That had been the first time I had even looked at the red board in at least six months. I don't think I've made even one post.

I feel bad for the guy when he has such great care and concern for how to resolve an issue when replies might have been better received from a group of optimistic palm readers. :rolleyes: I can only hope things come around for him and he seeks change for improvement in his life.

Dr. Bruce, I do appreciate the input you have here. I appreciate the help with a couple questions I've had. Your leaving this board would be a huge loss. I hope that never happens. I picture you as someone with a wonderful love of flying who treasures the opportunity to teach others how to fly. Without that, I can see no logical reason why one would teach something which earns a pittance compared to their regular profession.

So, have fun flying and help others as they ask. Meanwhile, life continues to be an "uneventful recovery." :)

Thanks again!

Here is my four letter word about it all.....

SIGH!!!

Ya liked that one, huh? :D :D I was sorta happy with it, my own self! :D

Hope ya don't let that buzzard run ya off from the red board for good, though, Bruce. ;)

I can understand Dr. Bruce's decision. The unappreciativeness was appalling. For someone who gives so much time, so freely, and so professionally to be attacked like he was... well, I doubt I would have even stopped to say goodbye. It was downright insulting.

For UB's part, he did apologize a few times. For his own good, I do hope he looks at both his medical issues and his way of life. Living like that isn't a lot of fun.

Doc, I'm glad we have you over here. There are a lot of people flying today thanks to your help. We won't let anybody run you away from this board. Thanks for being....you.

ah another great reminder why I love this place.

the redboard is fun to lurk at though. mostly for the threads like Kent linked to.

glad you're still with us Bruce

Good grief. Glad to have our moderators and a more generally friendly bunch. Bruce, your posts are always well reasoned and valuable and we'd really hate to lose you here, too. Please don't make the red board's lose ours as well.

And, Scott, you're ahead of me. I might look over there once a month or so. I like this place a lot more.

Scott, you owe me a keyboard.

Non-aviation!

ROFL!

Hey, Dr. Chein,

I know what it's like to get negative comments for trying to help. They really stick out.

As I guy who's been helped by you in the past, let me once again send along my appreciation.

Thanks,
Matt

I don't know...seems like it would have been more meaningful if he hadn't followed it up with a 'oh and I hope that you guys will now stop bashing me in the other thread' post.

I don't know...seems like it would have been more meaningful if he hadn't followed it up with a 'oh and I hope that you guys will now stop bashing me in the other thread' post.

I think that was his way of crying "UNCLE!!"

With apologies to all here present, I had forgotten about this "other" wonderful forum. :redface:

I'm glad to see Dr. Bruce is here -- he helped me more than he knows on the "other" forum and I was very unhappy that there was such a inappropriate and uncalled for response to the advice offered there.

The offender has offered what seems to be a heartfelt apology, but the damage is done.

Anyway, Dr. Bruce, glad you are here and doing well.

BTW -- I'm good for another 2 -- just got back from the AME to renew my class III -- no sweat B) So I can keep on flyin' :goofy:

I want free advice, that I agree with. Don't bore me with what you know. Just tell me what I want to hear.

Doc, don't sweat it. You've helped so many people on both red and blue boards. I don't think one bad water-retaining apple should ruin the bushel for you.

Regards,

Andrew

Bruce,
Why let one person in one thread cause such a dramatic response? Last straw I suppose. I missed the Nazi reference, must have been deleted before I read it. Going too far certainly, but various people need a bit of basal hyperplasia (acanthosis-inducing) if you get my meaning.

Not many Saints on either of these forums, that I can see ....
Charles.

...au contraire, mon frere, all on PoA are noble, above reproach and (rumor has it) have non-stinky dukie.

...au contraire, mon frere, all on PoA are noble, above reproach and (rumor has it) have non-stinky dukie.
Hmmmm, maybe I should spend more time on the Blue. That was frikkin' hilarious ..... :rofl:

Bruce,
Why let one person in one thread cause such a dramatic response? Last straw I suppose. I missed the Nazi reference, must have been deleted before I read it. Going too far certainly, but various people need a bit of basal hyperplasia (acanthosis-inducing) if you get my meaning.

Not many Saints on either of these forums, that I can see ....
Charles.
Charles, only because you ask:

It's a near bottom board, like Walt A. says. They allow him to peddle his wares there. I thought we weren't allowing that. How would it be if I posted a 1-900 number for advice?

People are NOT civil there. The mods do a good job, but there are no rules for civility. It cannot be enforced. There was ogogog, the C90 controller who wrote, "no tickee, no laundry".

I can't provide the answer to a straight question about depression there without your turning it into a political polemic (and Tony too). Can't I just help a poor guy? It's about certification and a guy posting looking for help- or a pointer to Sport Pilot, it's not about the Federal Air Surgeon- who by the way is making ready to promulgate the new SI....(final comments). 'Course, it's your right to do so- so I left.

Although I enjoy helping out indviduals and everyone agrees it has been quite a few, I don't need to take any s__t for it. This guy ultrabuzzard is this month's moron in the crowd. Having been in the service of this great United States of (business) A, being called a N-zi is just too darn much. 185,000 of us died to put that one to rest. Fair number of Brits, too. I'm just not going to tolerate that. I need a lot more pay before I'm going to do that.

Ask Cap'nRon why he hasn't posted there since 3/2007....

Sorry. You asked.

Last edited:
People are NOT civil there. The mods do a good job, but there are no rules for civility.
This is so very true. It's almost as if there's a competition to see who can get the most creative digs in before the mods step in. That "IBTL" -- in before thread lock -- is a common acronym there speaks volumes. Maybe I'll go back every once in a while, but the red board is off my list as well.

This is so very true. It's almost as if there's a competition to see who can get the most creative digs in before the mods step in. That "IBTL" -- in before thread lock -- is a common acronym there speaks volumes. Maybe I'll go back every once in a while, but the red board is off my list as well.

Me three.

I've said it before. Whenever you post on the red board, it feels like you've just chummed the water and they're starting to circle. You just know that the first ten responses will be an even mix of

1) people telling you how wrong you are
2) smart a** digs.

I'll stay put, thank you very much.

< deleted by poster on grounds of inappropriate references to another forum >

Last edited:
As to the civility issue, I would say that there is some robust talk on both forums and of course much more heated debate here, in the Spin Zone, so I don't agree with you there. But you know my views on that *yawn*
Ah well, that may be. I have Spin Zone on ignore and never go there unless I'm *really* bored.

The Spin Zone is designed to be ignorable, and is not visible to unregistered users. We've tried to set it up so you have to deliberately choose to be a part of that forum, as much as possible.

And we still insist that people treat each other like adult human beings there.

Upon further review...

... folks please remember that we (PoA) are not here to be a platform to use to discuss or simply diss the policies and procedures of other forums.

Talking about the posts that led to Bruce's decision to departure is one thing. Talking about the *posters*, is quite another. And talking about the policies or moderators at AOPA's forums, or AOPA itself, is something we feel is appropriate only for discussion at AOPA's site, not here.

Dr. Bruce's contributions to pilots here and at the AOPA forums are too numerable to count, but regardless, we still need to insist on our "no bashing of other aviation sites" policy and would encourage you to generally steer clear of discussions about how said sites are operated while using this one.

Feel free, however, to bash *our* policies and procedures to your hearts content in the Site Feedback forum.

Fair enough Chuck. Then I will say that this Blue forum functions admirably, from the subject matter moderation point of view. As do many other forums on the internet that I know - but not all. I would say "numerous", rather than "numerable", but I quibble .... :)

Ken: yes, the ignore feature is excellent - not that I've used it myself yet. This is exactly the mode that I would recommend to all internet forums that specialize in particular interests, such as a photography forum, a motorcycle forum, or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back