Broken Yaesu 450 Antenna

Cougar429

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cougar429
Love the radio and with the rechargeable battery far more user friendly than my old Icom A3. I am also able to store programing on my PC.

However, one weakness is the rather fragile antenna. Where the ICOM was virtually indestructible this one snapped the outer casing within a week. I looked into a replacement and the only option so far is another with I'm assuming the same problem.

Since I have no access to an avionics shop to measure SWR, wanted to know if anyone has had the same issue and if tried an ICOM antenna in its place. Don't want to blow out the amp first time I transmit, (or later!).

At some point there was an antenna upgrade. Current antenna for it is a SRA-20A, and about 25$ at several places. You could also convert to almost any aircraft band antenna if you are not using it as a portable.

From their own ads that is identical to what came with it. I use it at our own private airfield and when working airshows and in the latter case am transmitting quite often. For now surrounded the shell with heat shrink and am taking more care with it, but to be honest not a long-term solution. More than a bit disappointed at where they decided to economize on what is an otherwise good transceiver.

I may just be overly critical here, but the only other negative is it came new with the AA battery holder and at the aforementioned airshows would eat through a set in under a day. The LiPo has more capacity and is ready to go overnight.

Last edited:
Love the radio and with the rechargeable battery far more user friendly than my old Icom A3. I am also able to store programing on my PC.

However, one weakness is the rather fragile antenna. Where the ICOM was virtually indestructible this one snapped the outer casing within a week. I looked into a replacement and the only option so far is another with I'm assuming the same problem.

Since I have no access to an avionics shop to measure SWR, wanted to know if anyone has had the same issue and if tried an ICOM antenna in its place. Don't want to blow out the amp first time I transmit, (or later!).
It's just a BNC antenna. I see no reason an icom one wouldn't work, as long as it physically fits. Why are you worried about SWR? It's the same frequency band, any aviation handheld antenna with a BNC connector should work fine.

The rubber coated dummy load isn't particularly picky. I have a 144/440 MHz ham antenna that I stuck on a Sporty's radio that a fellow boardie gave me years ago. It works as well as the real antenna does. I was sititng on the ground floor of my townhouse about 4 miles from Dulles Tower and called CD on it and they answered me up loud and clear.

I am on my second round of heat shrink on the original antenna due to twice cracked casing, works fine.

Thanks. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who had this problem. Ordered the Icom FA-B02AR antenna.

ps. Anyone know how to edit the original post? That spelling error in the title just glares at me.....

Last edited:
Personally, I would look into a Comet or Diamond 2M ham antenna.

Back