Broken vernier throttle

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
My vernier throttle pushbutton broke today. The control cable still works fine. It is in my Lancair experimental; I do not know the manufacturer of the cable. Anyone know if a replacement pushbutton might be available for this type of cable? Am I looking at having to replace the entire cable? Removal of the screw allows the broken pushbutton to be easily removed from the cable.IMG20240118102233.jpgIMG20240118102237.jpg

It's a good idea to replace your engine control cables every century or so anyway. ;)

If you can figure precise dimensions based off the existing remnants you could have a solid model made then 3D printed much cheaper than buying a new assembly if you can't locate the broken 'button'. Also, one could be turned out of aluminum on a lathe easily. I would help but I now longer have my machine tools (would have been cheaper to keep her..LOL).

This really isn't value added but why not.. I work part time at a sim company and we recently got a few of these to test out. Man the quality and feel on these is incredibly. I wish the ones in the planes I have flown felt half as nice!

1705610198439.png

Anyone know if a replacement pushbutton might be available for this type of cable?
Perhaps contact McFarlane and see if they can help locate a button from their offerings? They've helped me in the past with odd-ball cables where I needed individual pieces.

The cables are cheap (for an experimental) and install is pretty straightforward. The internals of the cable get gummed up over time. Not sure why this is even a question.

Find someone with a lathe to turn a new one out of nylon round bar, or aluminum, like Robin says.

The cables are cheap (for an experimental) and install is pretty straightforward. The internals of the cable get gummed up over time. Not sure why this is even a question.
Fair point and I was/am considering changing it entirely as it is old. Getting to the parts of my tight plane under the header tank where this cable is mounted would be a bear of a job. It would be easier of course if I were about 2 feet tall or had a hypermobility disorder.

I considered what @robin ardoin suggested (for this and other projects in the past) but have no idea how to develop a cad file necessary to make the part.

I looked at spruce but failed to find a similar control cable. I did find similar knobs are used on Beechcraft and think I found a replacement pushbutton. If I'm right, it's a 11505-321 beechcraft knob.

Some duct tape will do, jkjk

I was thinking 3D printing would work too, the young guys love to play around with that and they do a good job too.

Retired. Have idle metal lathe & 1 inch dia alum bar. Need dimensions. It is winter here in MN.
Very kind, sir. I have purchased a Beechcraft knob of the part number referenced in my last post. I don't know if it is the correct part. It is similar. It might work. I can let you know if it worked in a week or so. Or, if you would like to tinker with the lathe, I would be happy to cover your costs.
IMG20240119121350.jpgIMG20240119121428.jpgIMG20240119121447.jpgIMG20240119121513.jpgIMG20240119121629.jpgIMG20240119121717.jpgIMG20240119121911.jpgIMG20240119122028.jpg

Back