Broke my iPad - replace with Mini?

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I was getting out of the plane yesterday and had a paper notepad, a stack of documents, and my iPad Air (first generation) in my hands. They slid apart and I was left holding only the paper notepad and picking up the stack of documents and a newly-shattered iPad. So that stinks. The timing is even worse. I was planning to wait for the anticipated iPad Pro updates to get the latest and greatest and add the Pencil and Smart Keyboard for my work uses. I was also hoping that a Mini-sized Pro would be announced so I could use the Pencil with ForeFlight's scratchpad.

I am thinking about hedging my bets that a 2017 iPad Mini update will not include Pencil support and buying an iPad Mini 4 for flying immediately and an iPad Pro ~10" for work when the new crop comes out, probably in early June. But I have not flown with an iPad Mini. For those who have done so, is the screen size a challenge when reading approach plates and airport information?

The full-size iPad covers up my engine gauges a bit when mounted on the yoke and I don't really have a better place to mount it in the Arrow, so the smaller sized iPad Mini is really tempting but not if it makes flying less safe due to, for example, making it hard to read the approach minimums or tower frequency. I'm also open to tips on other places to mount an iPad in a PA-28 cockpit, of course.

You can't find a local shop that replaces the glass? I thing the Zagg kiosk at the local mall does it here.

I have an iPad first generation and two minis. Honestly I don't even know where the big one is since I haven't used it in a couple of years. I prefer the mini size for most things but for flying? My iPhone 7+ works fine for me so I rarely take the mini. Different strokes for different folks. Try a mini and see if it suits you.

The mini fits nicely immediately behind the yoke in my cherokee. I use the Xgrip, best part is I can rotate between portrait/landscape at any time. No problem reading anything, doesn't block nearly the real estate my iPad 2 did.

I use the mini-4 in my RV8A. No room for a big one. I don't have any trouble reading the info as long as I have my glasses on, but I would still need them even if I had the bigger I-pad.

Unless you really need the smaller form factor, I think the iPad 5 is a better deal for what you pay. For airplane use, you'd need to add an anti-reflective film, though.

If you wish to use the excuse to upgrade yes! Do it! A $100 screen replacement fee is a pretty good chunk of a new ipad.

I went from a full size ipad 2 to a mini 4 with no regrets

The Mini is a great size for flying and also just carrying it around. I am on my second mini (4). The rumor I heard, though, is they may not continue to make the Mini. That would be a shame.

For those who have done so, is the screen size a challenge when reading approach plates and airport information?
It's fine for my wife. It's too small for my aging eyes. I'd get the pro for the cockpit, but it is just too big. The regular sized ipad is just right for me.

The Mini is a great size for flying and also just carrying it around. I am on my second mini (4). The rumor I heard, though, is they may not continue to make the Mini. That would be a shame.

The only mini4 for sale now at apple.com is the 128? GB one now.

The only mini4 for sale now at apple.com is the 128? GB one now.
There was supposed to be a big announcement in March/early April and the hope was that a new Mini Pro would be announced, since the Mini is already overdue for replacement, but it is mid April now and nothing yet... I really like the form factor, because it is easy to carry around and actually fits in some of my pockets (cargo shorts and some jackets).

Last month I went from mini to the 9.7 (new one).
If you have the space, it's nice. I made a wood template the ipad dimensions and placed it in the cockpit to experiment with size, location and view.

We don't have local shops that can repair my old iPad Air and the cost doesn't make sense since I was planning to replace it this year anyhow. I was just waiting for the rumored iPad Pro updates to come to fruition and hoping that an iPad Mini with Pencil support would be part of the update. I will get $40 from Gazelle for my iPad Air with the broken screen vs. $105 with an intact screen. So I consider this a $65 mistake that mostly hurts my ego and temporarily deprives me of having an iPad.

The iPad Mini rumors are all over the map. One rumor is for a 7.9" iPad Pro, which makes sense for Pencil support for me but probably not for people who use the Pencil for art and think the 9.7" size is too small, who are probably Apple's primary target market for the Pencil and iPad Pro to begin with. It also makes zero sense at all for a Mini-sized Smart Keyboard unless your hands stopped growing in the first grade. The hype for a March/April iPad announcement that turned out to be a simplification of the non-Pro lines (iPad Air 2 -> iPad and iPad Mini 4 line reduced to the 128GB model) and price drop supports both rumors: either way, they are clearing things out. From where I am sitting, it's just a question of whether they are clearing room for a new model or to end the line altogether. I agree that ending the iPad Mini line would be a shame.

Apple's annual developer conference is scheduled for early June and is the next likely time for big product announcements. I can probably live without an iPad until then, but I'm not sure. At least part of that time, the plane will be in for annual, which will help a bit with my withdrawal symptoms.

Replacement glass and little tool kit is less than $20 on Amazon and there are multitudes of YouTube videos on replacing it. Piece of cake. I've done several at this point.

I've been isn't a mini for years now, it's really the perfect device for flying, just make sure you get a cellular one to get the internal GPS.

Two other options $$ saving too, one is to fix you existing iPad, it's not that hard
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPad

Other is buying a like he's used older mini, in my experience, as long as you don't go updating the iOS all the time the speed difference between a mini/ and a mini4 isn't noticeable, only real feelable difference is the fingerprint reader and the baro sensor in the 4.

If also HIGHLY recommend NOT mounting a iPad to your plane, just use it like a strapless kneeboard, mounting solid things to yokes, or non certified stuff to a panel always makes me shake my head.

The mini on my lap (or stowed somehwere) in a canvas flip case with a small legal pad and pen hoop on the front has worked for me in everything from 172s to turbines.

I find the mini to be perfect on my yoke. I can't imagine putting a full-sized iPad there.

The mini fits nicely immediately behind the yoke in my cherokee. I use the Xgrip, best part is I can rotate between portrait/landscape at any time. No problem reading anything, doesn't block nearly the real estate my iPad 2 did.
iPad Air in portrait orientation also fits; just have to peer around slightly so see the tach.

I've been isn't a mini for years now, it's really the perfect device for flying, just make sure you get a cellular one to get the internal GPS.

If using an ADS-B unit like a Stratus, does one still need the internal GPS?

Agreed this is the way to go...I didn't even realize you could rotate between portrait and landscape by turning it? I will have to check that out when I get out to my plane

No.

I have the Wi-Fi only Mini iPad and use a Stratus 2 with FlyQ EFB. If I need cellular service, I just hot spot my iPhone.

Cheers,
Brian

No, then the cellular is only useful for the cellular connection on the ground.

Wow really? Yea that would be a huge bummer

There was supposed to be a big announcement in March/early April and the hope was that a new Mini Pro would be announced, since the Mini is already overdue for replacement, but it is mid April now and nothing yet...

The March announcement was for the iPad 5. I could be wrong but if we have not heard anything by now then I think that is all there is.

Apple's annual developer conference is scheduled for early June and is the next likely time for big product announcements.

Historically iOS devices have not been announced at WWDC.

The March announcement was for the iPad 5. I could be wrong but if we have not heard anything by now then I think that is all there is.

Historically iOS devices have not been announced at WWDC.
True enough. iOS software is much more likely than hardware. But if Tim Cook's February comments that "exciting things are coming to iPad" really referred only to taking the word "Air" off of the non-Pro iPad, that's pretty disappointing. And it is looking less likely that there will be any big announcements in April.

Are you trying to convince me to order the iPad Mini 4 today? I've got a hair trigger already... :)

As long as you always drag all that stuff out to the plane, and all of it always works, no.

But for flying I wouldn't buy a iPad without GPS.

No. I've been using a Bad Elf GPS that connects with Bluetooth for years. The GPD can be placed on the glare shield for a better signal.

Are you trying to convince me to order the iPad Mini 4 today? I've got a hair trigger already... :)
Wait until the mini is discontinued and buy it on clearance. :)

But a little more seriously, the mini4 is the only portable/mobile device left that's still using the nearly 3 year old Apple A8 CPU (the Apple TV still uses it too). That would make me think twice about buying.

Too soon to say that paper charts don't break when they get dropped?
Break, no, but it's 25G40 right now so they might blow away. Then again, so will an unsecured brick. :)

Wait until the mini is discontinued and buy it on clearance. :)

But a little more seriously, the mini4 is the only portable/mobile device left that's still using the nearly 3 year old Apple A8 CPU (the Apple TV still uses it too). That would make me think twice about buying.
I'm really hoping they breathe new life into the Mini before too long. It's a great form factor for so many uses. But they didn't ask me, so I guess I'll wait until there's an update or discontinuation announced and then buy accordingly. :)

I'm really hoping they breathe new life into the Mini before too long. It's a great form factor for so many uses. But they didn't ask me, so I guess I'll wait until there's an update or discontinuation announced and then buy accordingly. :)

I think Apple would rather you use an iPhone 7 plus or 8 as the size difference is rather small and the phone can do everything the mini iPad can do.

I think Apple would rather you use an iPhone 7 plus or 8 as the size difference is rather small and the phone can do everything the mini iPad can do.
Perhaps but the iPhone 7 Plus is, for me, the stupidest of all possible device sizes. Too big for a pocket and too small for approach plates. The worst of all worlds. I know I'm not alone and have to hold out some hope that Apple at least tries to cater to us.

It already will change screens and zoom as fast as I can ask it to in foreflight, streams perfect, browses as fast as the connection will allow and will run longer than my max (all the way to zero) fuel endurance, what exactly do I need faster/better hardware for?

It already will change screens and zoom as fast as I can ask it to in foreflight, streams perfect, browses as fast as the connection will allow and will run longer than my max (all the way to zero) fuel endurance, what exactly do I need faster/better hardware for?
There is precisely one feature I wish they would add to the Mini: a good stylus with palm rejection that works in ForeFlight scratch pads (Apple Pencil or otherwise). I want to be able to write down an ATIS or clearance or draw on an airport diagram. That's the new life I wish they would breathe into it. Probably won't happen.

No. I've been using a Bad Elf GPS that connects with Bluetooth for years. The GPD can be placed on the glare shield for a better signal.
Concur - though I use a Dual; smaller than half a deck of cards, sits on the glareshield - no cellular (or GPS) feature needed on my iPad.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 7+ and the size isn't even close. The iPad Mini is way bigger. I get that us pilots may be a limited market, but even being a pilot aside, I think the Mini format is a great size. I like a smaller phone, myself.

The CPU determines whether or not you get the latest version of iOS and having a current version of iOS means you get security updates. But if the lack of security doesn't bother you then have at it.

The CPU determines whether or not you get the latest version of iOS and having a current version of iOS means you get security updates. But if the lack of security doesn't bother you then have at it.

Ahh "security" and "saftey".

Frankly never been a issue for me, all I notice from the IOS updates is removal of my jailbreak, stupid emojis, and slower performance.

I love my iPad mini 4 + yoke mount and bad elf GPS. Having said that, I've never owned the full-size iPad and occasionally wish things were bigger.

Let me put in my standard plug for the Apple Refurb store and Gazelle, especially if want a mini. Also, the new full sized iPad starting at $350 seems like a good buy.

Spend the bucks to get a cellular compatible iPad if you can, you'll be glad to have gps without a seperate box.
My first Apple product was a refurbished PowerBook. Big fan of their refurbished stuff. Just have to wait for the right model to be listed.

Back