Broke my back and need HELP.....

Not playing victim but living in reality. I have what I have nothing I can do about it or your anyone else. Saying anything less is playing games.

You know not what you speak when you say CA is not insurmountable. I can tell this comes from a healthy person. One without health issue's. For if you ever been in my shoe's you would know you can not even wipe your own a#s let alone take care of yourself.

Tony

Fasting is the Judeo Christian acceptable way to time your meeting with God on your own terms.

It's still Gods terms, you just pushed his hand is all. He has a place for people like this, and those who tell others to do it.

I love our Lord but Fear him just as much. Keep speaking as you do and you will learn to fear him also.

Tony

It's still Gods terms, you just pushed his hand is all. He has a place for people like this, and those who tell others to do it.

I love our Lord but Fear him just as much. Keep speaking as you do and you will learn to fear him also.

Tony

I do not need to fear God, I get my Comms direct, I don't deal in other's dogma. God really doesn't care much. The prohibition is a cultural one to keep people from making a rash decision to end their living in times of temporary pain and despondence. Fasting is a long, and reversible process to dying, it also creates a great amount of thought. Dealing with high levels of pain is not a sustainable long term situation. Doing so out of fear is just stupidity.

Not playing victim but living in reality. I have what I have nothing I can do about it or your anyone else. Saying anything less is playing games.

You know not what you speak when you say CA is not insurmountable. I can tell this comes from a healthy person. One without health issue's. For if you ever been in my shoe's you would know you can not even wipe your own a#s let alone take care of yourself.

Tony

You have yet to say why California vs. Colorado is. (Not that it's any longer important to know; it was just a starting point for some problem solving.)

Btw, you're making a lot of assumptions about me.

See ya.

You have yet to say why California vs. Colorado is. (Not that it's any longer important to know; it was just a starting point for some problem solving.)

Btw, you're making a lot of assumptions about me.

See ya.

As you me.....

My back surgeon, I thought was in Colorado. He already told me 5 years ago, that I needed to move back to Colorado so he could repair my back. I did not want to move back to Colorado. Not that Colorado is bad or anything, but my family is here not there.

As you me.....

My back surgeon, I thought was in Colorado. He already told me 5 years ago, that I needed to move back to Colorado so he could repair my back. I did not want to move back to Colorado. Not that Colorado is bad or anything, but my family is here not there.
Seems to me that you still have choices, just not the one choice you feel is the best. Personally I'd work out the next best choice and go with that which from my perspective could be anything from the least painful but affordable way to CA, going with a different doctor, living with the pain and all the other undesirable side effects, or exiting this world.

When you post that you've lost all hope, it sounds like you've already chosen but I'm hoping you find a better answer. Losing something you anticipated getting can be emotionally devastating but for some folks that just makes them more determined to find an alternative.

Seems to me that you still have choices, just not the one choice you feel is the best. Personally I'd work out the next best choice and go with that which from my perspective could be anything from the least painful but affordable way to CA, going with a different doctor, living with the pain and all the other undesirable side effects, or exiting this world.

When you post that you've lost all hope, it sounds like you've already chosen but I'm hoping you find a better answer. Losing something you anticipated getting can be emotionally devastating but for some folks that just makes them more determined to find an alternative.

Well said.

And, to that last part, some folks also learn to stop having expectations.

Tony does not really want to get better- he has chosen to ignore sound advice from well intentioned and concerned people on this board, just as he has ignored advice from apparently multiple different health professionals.

He is actually very fortunate- he is 53 years old and receives medicare. He gets all of his health care for essentially nothing, while a lot of people pay $1,000 or more a month for the same coverage. The only circumstances I have seen this combination of young age and Medicare is when people are considered completely disabled and unable to work, which also means that they receive social security income (minimal but still better than living on noting). Free health care, a montly stipend from the government, and still being able to fly aren't too bad. Most people would not trade their current circumstances for this combination, but it does work for some.

Plus, having all of this pain and talk of losing all hope while ignoring sound advice gets Tony a lot of attention, just as all of these circular posts empower his need for attention.

Tony

Why is a trip from Illinois to California any less doable than a trip from Illinois to Vail?

Longer, yes, but not insurmountable.

Why is a trip from Illinois to California any less doable than a trip from Illinois to Vail?

Longer, yes, but not insurmountable.

It's not any longer in a 737. The doc is down the street from KSNA, and he won't need the drive up the mountain from Eagle or Denver.

That California is somehow related to the gates of Hell rather strongly suggests that a solution is not the goal.

Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised that a guy who can't reach for a jack without serious injury can get a 3rd class medical. There are some real obvious potential faults there.

Last edited:
It's not any longer in a 737. The doc is down the street from KSNA, and he won't need the drive up the mountain from Eagle or Denver.

That California is somehow related to the gates of Hell rather strongly suggests that a solution is not the goal.

Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised that a guy who can't reach for a jack without serious injury can get a 3rd class medical. There are some real obvious potential faults there.

California being the gate to Hell isn't far from reality, but it is irrelevant.

You people jump to a lot of conclusions. Just what makes you think I have a third class medical. Not everyone flying has one of these. From all these posts, you people should know this for you all know it all.

Why does one have to drive to Eagle Co. Seems one could just stay at the local hotel. But then again you people should know this for you all believe you know it all.

Tony

Last edited:
I used to be a bit suspicious of pain patients. But after one jaunt through an emergency spinal surgery I am a bit more understanding.

It takes going through something like this to have compassion.

If you do not have an arm ripped off or a bone sticking out most believe you just want attention. But when it happens to them then its a different story.

Our Lord will be coming for those who speak of others who are ill like they do. If you do not believe, just wait, you will be a believer.

Tony

If you do not have anything to contribute to this thread as help..Butt the F##K Out.

Tony

Tony,
For a moment disregard the criticism not commenting on its validity just saying to disregard it for a bit. You have been given several suggestions, including:

1) Travel to CA
2) Contact an organization which helps with low cost or free lodging near a hospital
3) Ask your doc in CA for some referrals to other docs who might be closer to you. (I'd think that getting to CA would be much easier than getting to Vail given the drive times and potential plane switches needed to get to Vail. But that's just my supposition.
4) Research other Spine surgeons in Chicago, St Louis and other places
5) Contact Dr. Bruce for help or a referral.
5) I understand that you don't want to take pain meds but, I might add an option is to take the pain meds so that you are physically able to travel to CA or another spine doc so that you can have any prescribed treatment and then get off the meds.

Do you see any of these suggestions as viable options? If so, and you can narrow it down perhaps some POAers can offer more detailed advice or assistance. Hoping you are pain free in the not to distant future.

You people jump to a lot of conclusions. Just what makes you think I have a third class medical. Not everyone flying has one of these. From all these posts, you people should know this for you all know it all.

Why does one have to drive to Eagle Co. Seems one could just stay at the local hotel. But then again you people should know this for you all believe you know it all.

Tony

I assumed a sport pilot would need to be familiar with 14 CFR 61.53(b), and would not be so stupid as to fly when a bit of turbulence can incapacitate. From what you describe here, you are clearly not able to operate an aircraft in a safe manner under reasonable circumstances, due to the very substantial risk of incapacitating injury.

There is no airport in Vail. You're driving in from somewhere. Whether that's Eagle County or Denver or Illinois, you're getting in a car for at least one mountain drive with your broken back. No such mountain drive is necessary in Orange County. I thought you said you had been there before.

Last edited:
I assumed a sport pilot would need to be familiar with 14 CFR 61.53(b), and would not be so stupid as to fly when a bit of turbulence can incapacitate. From what you describe here, you are clearly not able to operate an aircraft in a safe manner under reasonable circumstances, due to the very substantial risk of incapacitating injury.

He has already grounded himself - see post 5 of his thread here:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74917

Oddly enough you posted the same caution there and he agreed.

Since I'm too geographically distant to lend direct help...

With respect to the underlying medical problem I would suggest some over the counter supplements such as vitamin K2, D, and of course calcium. That doesn't help the immediate problem, but over time they may keep the problem from progressing much further. This page has specific supplement recommendations:

http://www.lef.org/protocols/metabolic_health/osteoporosis_les.htm#AnchorSug

See also http://www.lef.org/protocols/metabolic_health/osteoporosis_05.htm#osteoporosis

He has already grounded himself - see post 5 of his thread here:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74917

Oddly enough you posted the same caution there and he agreed.

He should have grounded himself years ago. I was not referring to this specific instance, but rather the risk that a jolt of normal turbulence might incapacitate him. He said he broke his back when he reached for a jack. Yes, some of those can be pretty heavy, but aren't anywhere near heavy enough to break bones just by reaching for them.

Since I'm too geographically distant to lend direct help...

With respect to the underlying medical problem I would suggest some over the counter supplements such as vitamin K2, D, and of course calcium. That doesn't help the immediate problem, but over time they may keep the problem from progressing much further. This page has specific supplement recommendations:

http://www.lef.org/protocols/metabolic_health/osteoporosis_les.htm#AnchorSug

See also http://www.lef.org/protocols/metabolic_health/osteoporosis_05.htm#osteoporosis

Are you sure you want to be recommending treatment or medications when no one knows exactly the nature of his medical problem? Back pain can represent a lot of things, anywhere from a pulled muscle to a fracture to a malignant tumour or infection. It can also represent referred pain, say from gall bladder stones, kidney stones, a ruptured aneurysm, etc.

Also, vitamin K can be a deadly combination on someone with clotting disorders on coumadin. Just because these things are OTC doesn't mean they might not have significant side effects or counteract other critical drugs.

Without a firm diagnosis (by a provider), and a thorough knowledge of his medications, drug interactions, and potential allergies, it might not be prudent to be giving him advice regarding medications.

There is no airport in Vail. You're driving in from somewhere. Whether that's Eagle County or Denver or Illinois, you're getting in a car for at least one mountain drive with your broken back. No such mountain drive is necessary in Orange County. I thought you said you had been there before.
Geography lesson...EGE is Eagle Vail airport. Short drive from the airport to the medical center faily flat road.

Tony,
For a moment disregard the criticism not commenting on its validity just saying to disregard it for a bit. You have been given several suggestions, including:

1) Travel to CA
2) Contact an organization which helps with low cost or free lodging near a hospital
3) Ask your doc in CA for some referrals to other docs who might be closer to you. (I'd think that getting to CA would be much easier than getting to Vail given the drive times and potential plane switches needed to get to Vail. But that's just my supposition.
4) Research other Spine surgeons in Chicago, St Louis and other places
5) Contact Dr. Bruce for help or a referral.
5) I understand that you don't want to take pain meds but, I might add an option is to take the pain meds so that you are physically able to travel to CA or another spine doc so that you can have any prescribed treatment and then get off the meds.

Do you see any of these suggestions as viable options? If so, and you can narrow it down perhaps some POAers can offer more detailed advice or assistance. Hoping you are pain free in the not to distant future.
And this should end the trolling, good intentions, snide remarks, etc.
Tony, follow #3 and get started on a proactive solution.

H.A.S.
You have a new MRI? You said you "broke your back" but what exactly do you mean? Do you have a compression fracture?

Are you sure you want to be recommending treatment or medications when no one knows exactly the nature of his medical problem? Back pain can represent a lot of things, anywhere from a pulled muscle to a fracture to a malignant tumour or infection. It can also represent referred pain, say from gall bladder stones, kidney stones, a ruptured aneurysm, etc.

Also, vitamin K can be a deadly combination on someone with clotting disorders on coumadin. Just because these things are OTC doesn't mean they might not have significant side effects or counteract other critical drugs.

Without a firm diagnosis (by a provider), and a thorough knowledge of his medications, drug interactions, and potential allergies, it might not be prudent to be giving him advice regarding medications.

Do you really live in that world?

H.A.S.
You have a new MRI? You said you "broke your back" but what exactly do you mean? Do you have a compression fracture?

Yes compression fracture. This keeps happening. I hope I just blew a disc but I felt the vertebrea compress, like all the other times its happened. When it happens it feels like my spine folds over.

I found a Dr. local who is going to help me. He is busy and can not see me for a few weeks. I did see his nurse and she has set up an MRI. The day of the MRI I see the Dr.

He should have grounded himself years ago. I was not referring to this specific instance, but rather the risk that a jolt of normal turbulence might incapacitate him. He said he broke his back when he reached for a jack. Yes, some of those can be pretty heavy, but aren't anywhere near heavy enough to break bones just by reaching for them.

One reason I only fly what I do. The airplane I fly is so small it must be flown like an ultralight or only on calm days in the early morning or late evening.

I make no bones about it that I will NEVER fly a passenger for I can barley take care of my self let alone a passenger if we had an off field landing. But then again I never go but a few miles from my home field.

Tony

Yes compression fracture. This keeps happening. I hope I just blew a disc but I felt the vertebrea compress, like all the other times its happened. When it happens it feels like my spine folds over.

I found a Dr. local who is going to help me. He is busy and can not see me for a few weeks. I did see his nurse and she has set up an MRI. The day of the MRI I see the Dr.

Get a kyphoplasty which im sure you had done before. 15 minutes and done

... I found a Dr. local who is going to help me. He is busy and can not see me for a few weeks. I did see his nurse and she has set up an MRI. The day of the MRI I see the Dr.

great news. :yes:

Had an MRI yesterday.
I was told I need surgery. But the DR wants to give me a local shot in the area and see how that goes.

They found just what I told them they would find and they are doing just what I thought they would do. Put a band-aid on it.

Tony

Anyone that actually cares can look up histrionic personality disorder as an example of a personality disorder as exemplified by the OP.

I have been fighting people like this most my life. They look at me or hear my story and believe they know it all. They then label me. Then after its found I do indeed have the issue's I say I have, they just disappear.

When someone does this, they show they really are not as educated as they believe they are.

But you will never get them to see this for they....Know it all.

Can you tell I am p##sed off about this.

Tony

Had an MRI yesterday.
I was told I need surgery. But the DR wants to give me a local shot in the area and see how that goes.

They found just what I told them they would find and they are doing just what I thought they would do. Put a band-aid on it.

Tony

What you need is your former Dr to write a letter to the new doctor explaining the problem and making sure the new Dr understands that a cortisone shot is useless.

I go in for a consultation tomorrow over this. I am telling them then I am not in favor of doing this. Thirty years ago they where doing this to me, now here I go again.

What a waste of my time and money. I need help and this is not it.

Tony

Here I have a very bad case of Osteoporosis and this doctor wants to send me for a cortisone injection.

I am not a doctor and I know this is not a good idea.

Tony

Tony

A number of us have made very practical suggestions and you apparently ignore each and every one of them.

You don't want a cortisone shot? Then tell the doctor you refuse the shot. They cannot force you.

I repeat - get your previous doctor to write a letter, a fax, an email, whatever to the current doctor explaining the situation. Have him also send you a copy for your records.

Tony

A number of us have made very practical suggestions and you apparently ignore each and every one of them.

You don't want a cortisone shot? Then tell the doctor you refuse the shot. They cannot force you.

I repeat - get your previous doctor to write a letter, a fax, an email, whatever to the current doctor explaining the situation. Have him also send you a copy for your records.

I just made a comment. How do you know I have not already contacted this doctor who did my operation in 2002 and I have not seen since 2005?

I do not need to be a doctor to know sending someone who has osteoporosis for a cortisone injection is not a good idea.

Tony

Just saw this. Has anyone come up with a way to help this man? What are the costs? Who is willing to start a fund?? Let's quit giving him advice about how to do it another way- I will pony up, but can't do it alone...

I have been fighting people like this most my life. They look at me or hear my story and believe they know it all. They then label me. Then after its found I do indeed have the issue's I say I have, they just disappear.

When someone does this, they show they really are not as educated as they believe they are.

But you will never get them to see this for they....Know it all.

Can you tell I am p##sed off about this.

Tony

OK, so how can we here on POA help you?

Back