British Terrorism Plot foiled (Airlines again)

Now no liquids on planes - water, lotions, coffee, etc.

To their credit this plot was foiled this time! I understand that this was Al-Queda linked. More to come?

Armageddon Aviator said:
It was planned by Buddhist monks ? again !!!!

LOL What good can come from living a simple life of goodness and prayer :p

On the good side of this the plan was foiled!

CapeCodJay said:

To their credit this plot was foiled this time! I understand that this was Al-Queda linked. More to come?
The knees are jerking so loud there's a background hum across the whole hemisphere.

At O'Hare they're saying to allow 2 hours to check in and the TV reporters are saying that won't ber nearly enough time. GA is looking better with every new procedure.

Best of all, they are insisting that LAPTOP COMPUTERS have to be in checked baggage. None may be in carry ons. I think they're happily giving out clear plastic bags to hold them. Of course, as always the luggage cannot be locked lest the TSA not be able to search.

In other news, Ryder and U-Haul report a huge influx in demand for van rentals in locations near airports.

In other news, eBay reports a huge influx in for sale listings of nearly new laptop computers.

When asked for comment the Department of Homeland Security refused citing national security reasons.

I'll take Amtrak or fly myself even if it takes me an extra 4 days on each end.

Last edited:
we're getting real close to NO carry on baggage or anything. bring a book, a mag or newspaper maybe, but thats it. next, the terrorists will figure out how to put the bombs in the checked baggage. a little c4 hooked to an altimeter watch. oh man, on tv they're showing a bunch of old fartz getting patted down going through security. it looks quite thorough but it appears if you keep the bomb tucked between your legs they're never find it! nobody searching there! :eek: tc

tom clark said:
we're getting real close to NO carry on baggage or anything. bring a book, a mag or newspaper maybe, but thats it. next, the terrorists will figure out how to put the bombs in the checked baggage. a little c4 hooked to an altimeter watch. oh man, on tv they're showing a bunch of old fartz getting patted down going through security. it looks quite thorough but it appears if you keep the bomb tucked between your legs they're never find it! nobody searching there! :eek: tc
Yeahbut, you'll never get one past if its in your shoes. As long as you only wear shoes we're all set.

mikea said:
The knees are jerking so loud there's a background hum across the whole hemisphere.

Best of all, they are insisting that LAPTOP COMPUTERS have to be in checked baggage. None may be in carry ons. I think they're happily giving out clear plastic bags to hold them. Of course, as always the luggage cannot be locked lest the TSA not be able to search.

Ah, more smelly passengers who can't shower (no soap or shampoo), put on makeup, or brush their teeth (no toothpaste).

The computer issue is a real dilemna. This WILL push more businesses away from commercial since there is confidential company data on a lot of laptops. We should also expect notices of even more data breaches.

I think Bruce may have it right, though, sure sounds like prep for another military action.

wsuffa said:
I think Bruce may have it right, though, sure sounds like prep for another military action.
Geez, I hope not. My wife's over in Afghanistan already as it is. I could see her being diverted somewhere on her way home to maintain C-130's somewhere else. Also, I'll run the chance of getting called back in if our forces are stretched too thin (which they are already.) I'll keep my fingers crossed to keep my uniforms in the boxes in the basement.

Here's me: :no:

Here's the Air Guard: :yes:

Here's me, activated again, on my first stop in Germany: :cheers:

Life could be worse.

CapeCodJay said:

Damn. Wish they would have went one step further and banned the smelly, ethnic food people carry on. It's just as hazardous to travel...:eek:

Greg
182RG

bbchien said:
....so when are the tanks rolling to Teheran? Sigh.

Teheran is a long way inland. Lock down the country. Nothing in, nothing out. Period. No air traffic, no ship traffic, no land traffic. Absolute quarantine of the mad dogs. When they lash out, kill them.

There comes a point.....

Mencken said it better: Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Or, as we used to say, in a sanitized manner - kick bootie and take names.

A reminder that the rules of conduct expressly forbid racist postings. I don't want to delete any more posts. Lets stick to the issues affecting the airlines and not turn this into a spin-zone thread.

W.O'Boogie said:
Teheran is a long way inland. Lock down the country. Nothing in, nothing out. Period. No air traffic, no ship traffic, no land traffic. Absolute quarantine of the mad dogs. When they lash out, kill them.

There comes a point.....

Mencken said it better: Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Or, as we used to say, in a sanitized manner - kick bootie and take names.

It's rapidly getting to that point IMO. Now or later, but later will be harder.

The airlines oughta start buying up eclipse jets or whatever their favorite VLJ is and do business charter with them. It would possibly make them soluble, eliminate threats of GA user fees, and they would quit squawking about how VLJs will destroy the NAS. everyone wins!

there goes the stock market.

I have friends overseas right now, hope they make it home safely.

according to the list, you cannot even take a handbag on board. wow. anyone coming home with wine better drink it in the terminal.

woodstock said:
there goes the stock market.

I have friends overseas right now, hope they make it home safely.

according to the list, you cannot even take a handbag on board. wow. anyone coming home with wine better drink it in the terminal.

cant get on the flight drunk. Sounds like extended vacations.

Have fun next week Nick ! ;)

ggroves said:
Damn. Wish they would have went one step further and banned the smelly, ethnic food people carry on. It's just as hazardous to travel...:eek:

Greg
182RG

Apparantly, some airports are banning carry-on food entirely.

All drinks, even if you bought it on the "security" side of the airport. What's not clear to me is whether the airlines can cater and serve drinks on board.

3 hour flights on any of the airlines are looking worse and worse.

with all these delays now stacking up, even a 172'll get to the point where it will beat the airlines on most all trips time wise at least. So much for UAL posting a profit this quarter, they better enjoy it while it lasts.

Data Current as of: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:34:00 GMT6/5860 (#2)PART 1 OF 4 ... SPECIAL NOTICE ... OPERATIONS TO/FROM THE UNITIED KINGDOM EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THIS NOTICE AMENDS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED FDC NOTAM 2/5319 AND WAIVER 2127. IN ADDITION TO THE REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN 14 CFR PART 99, SECURITY CONTROL OF AIR TRAFFIC, THE FOLLOWING SPECIAL SECURITY REQUIREMENTS ARE IN EFFECT, PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7 SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS. PART I. AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS TO OR FROM EACH OF THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES: ENGLAND, SCOTLAND, WALES, AND NORTHERN IRELAND: A. ALL AIRCRAFT WITH A MAXIMUM CERTIFICATED TAKEOFF GROSS WEIGHT EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN 95,000 POUNDS: ARE AUTHORIZED, IF THEY MEET THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS: 1. FILE AND ARE ON AN ACTIVE FLIGHT PLAN; 2. ARE EQUIPPED WITH AN OPERATIONAL MODE C TRANSPONDER AND CONTINUOUSLY SQUAWK AN ATC ISSUED TRANSPONDER CODE; 3. MAINTAIN TWO-WAY COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC; 4. AIRCRAFT MUST BE OPERATING UNDER THE COMMERCIAL CARGO/CARRIER OPERATIONS THAT MEET OR EXCEED THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATIONS DOMESTIC SECURITY INTEGRATED PROGRAM STANDARDS, AIRCRAFT OPERATOR STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM END PART 1 OF 4 WIE UNTIL UFN
PART 2 OF 4 ... SPECIAL NOTICE ... (AOSSP), DOMESTIC SECURITY INTEGRATION PROGRAM (DSIP), PRIVATE CHARTER STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (PCSSP), ALL-CARGO INTERNATIONAL SECURITY PROCEDURE (ACISP), OR FOREIGN AIR CARRIER MODEL SECURITY PROGRAM OR HAVE APPLIED FOR AND RECEIVED A WRITTEN FAA WAIVER ISSUED ON OR AFTER 10 AUGUST 2006 THROUGH THE SECURITY AUTHORIZATION PROCESS. WAIVERS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED FOR NOTAM 2/5319 OR WAIVER 2127ARE NO LONGER VALID FOR THE DURATION OF THIS NOTAM B. ALL AIRCRAFT WITH A MAXIMUM CERTIFICATED TAKEOFF GROSS WEIGHT LESS THAN 95,000 POUNDS: ARE AUTHORIZED, IF THEY MEET THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS: 1. FILE AND ARE ON AN ACTIVE FLIGHT PLAN; 2. ARE EQUIPPED WITH AN OPERATIONAL MODE C TRANSPONDER AND CONTINUOUSLY SQUAWK AN ATC ISSUED TRANSPONDER CODE; 3. MAINTAIN TWO-WAY COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC; 4. AIRCRAFT MUST HAVE APPLIED FOR AND RECEIVED A WRITTEN FAA WAIVER ISSUED ON OR AFTER 10 AUGUST 2006 THROUGH THE SECURITY AUTHORIZATION PROCESS. WAIVERS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED FOR NOTAM 2/5319 OR WAIVER 2127ARE NO LONGER VALID FOR THE DURATION OF THIS NOTAM END PART 2 OF 4 WIE UNTIL UFN
PART 3 OF 4 ... SPECIAL NOTICE ... PART II - HOW TO OBTAIN A NEW FAA WAIVER: SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR A FAA WAIVER ADVANCE OF PLANNED FLIGHT. GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WAIVER APPLICATIONS FROM THE TSA WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.TSA.GOV/WHAT_WE_DO/GA/GA_WAIVERS.SHTM (CASE SENSITIVE USE LOWER CASE) FOR INFORMATION ON AUTHORIZATION CONTACT THE TSA AT (571) 227-1322 OR (571) 227-1324 DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS. PART III - DEFINITIONS: A. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE OF THE U.S. MEANS THE AIRSPACE OVER THE U.S., ITS TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS AND THE AIRSPACE OVERLYING THE TERRITORIAL WATERS BETWEEN THE U.S. COAST AND TWELVE (12) NAUTICAL MILES FROM THE U.S. COAST. B. "TO OR FROM MEANS ANY FLIGHT ENTERING U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE AFTER DEPARTURE FROM A LOCATION OUTSIDE OF THE U.S. FOR LANDING AT A DESTINATION IN THE U.S. OR EXITING U.S. TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE AFTER DEPARTURE FROM A LOCATION IN THE U.S. C. OVERFLY/OVERFLIGHT MEANS ANY FLIGHT DEPARTING FROM A LOCATION OUTSIDE OF THE U.S., ITS TERRITORIES OR POSSESSIONS, WHICH TRANSITS THE TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE OF THE U.S. ENROUTE TO A LOCATION OUTSIDE THE U.S., ITS TERRITORIES OR POSSESSIONS. D. FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) WAIVER: A GRANT OF END PART 3 OF 4 WIE UNTIL UFN PART 4 OF 4 ... SPECIAL NOTICE ... RELIEF BY THE FAA FROM THE REQUIREMENTS OF SPECIFIC REGULATIONS TO THE DEGREE AND FOR THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED IN THE WAIVER. END PART 4 OF 4 WIE UNTIL UFN

Last edited:
sigh..;..

how long before this affects us tho. I'll bet if they don't get a handle, then we'll start seeing restrictions later this week.

And if they're not lifted by Thursday (when I go get my plane, I already have my ticket), then I'm going to England myself to find the bastards that plotted this.

go to england nick, beat em up. i will fly your plane back to albuquerque :D

I am on travel right now and just saw the news at the hotel. I wonder what the impact will be on GA. Right now like everyone else, nothing I can do about getting home on Friday except wait my turn in the security line. I sure hope they dont take the shoes off to trousers level, glad I brought extra good underware! One never knows, do one?

Lets see how this impacts GA today, you know we are not going to get through this without additional restrictions.

John

John Recine said:
Lets see how this impacts GA today, you know we are not going to get through this without additional restrictions.
John

like what?

wsuffa said:
Apparantly, some airports are banning carry-on food entirely.

All drinks, even if you bought it on the "security" side of the airport. What's not clear to me is whether the airlines can cater and serve drinks on board.

3 hour flights on any of the airlines are looking worse and worse.

I still don't see how carryon versus checked makes it safer. explosives can go anywhere. is checked luggage actually screened more carefully? I'd think carryon would be safer, since you get to look the person in the eye as you screen them, and make them show you the iPod and the coke cans and so on...

It seems that people intended to bring on bomb components separately as liquids and assemble the explosive on board. Thus, checked luggage is OK (or as OK as it was yesterday).

MSmith said:
It seems that people intended to bring on bomb components separately as liquids and assemble the explosive on board. Thus, checked luggage is OK (or as OK as it was yesterday).

ok, that makes sense. for that particular type of explosive anyway.

flights without an Ipod or a book - not to mention the stuff airlines lose that before this you could at least carryon with you! I usually gate check my bag - one bag, take it through screening, and then give it to the loaders at the gate - wonder if that will change too.

AOPA needs to put big ads in major airports that are clearly visible while standing in line at security. Show a nice airplane (SR22, new 182, whatever) cruising along. Something like "No lines, No wait, get your Private Pilots license today" with a number for the nearest Be a Pilot FBO. Needs to be a HUGE banner too or something, hanging on the wall. would me money well spent IMO

It would be just as nice to see AOPA post something this morning on all this. So far there is nothing on the AOPA board that suggests there is a problem, that was the first site I went to after watching the press conference this morning, and nothing on AOPA at all!

John

ya, i emailed phil, will see if i get a response.

John Recine said:
It would be just as nice to see AOPA post something this morning on all this. So far there is nothing on the AOPA board that suggests there is a problem, that was the first site I went to after watching the press conference this morning, and nothing on AOPA at all!

John

AOPA is clueless and powerless. Not sure why I keep sending them
my money.

Back