British guy now flying in Ohio - Hi!

Philip Harris

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ExPatAviator
Hi everyone!

I recently relocated to Cincinnati Ohio having lived in the UK all my life. I got my PPL 19 years ago aged 17. I originally had a full ICAO licence that would have been recognized by the FAA, however after 9/11 the industry took a downturn, so I decided not to pursue aviation professionally and downgraded my licence to the UK LAPL (similar to sport pilot without the weight restrictions) which the FAA does not recognize.

Obviously I want to keep flying, so after some discussion with a local instructor/DPE, we decided to do the 20 hours instruction to learn some of the airspace differences and rules (night is also new to me), and skip the 20 hours solo. So right now I'm flying at 40I - Red Stewart making the best of my 20 hours flying Piper Cubs and their very old, but very nice flying, Cessna 172. They take their grass roots stick and rudder flying seriously and the tail wheel time is a new thing for me. Plus I've got my eyes on renting their Stearman this coming summer ;)

So that's me! I'm looking forward to getting to know more people involved in aviation, perhaps there are even some people on the forums not too far from me?

Merry Christmas!

Welcome aboard, Captain!

I don't know the whole ICAO/FAA thing works. I hope things don't get so complicated that it takes away from the fun of flying.

Sounds like a fun way to get the time! Welcome to the board.

Welcome aboard, Captain!

I don't know the whole ICAO/FAA thing works. I hope things don't get so complicated that it takes away from the fun of flying.

You're right in that is a real pain. That's exactly why I'm going to through the process as if I'm just any other student pilot......except one who already has a load of solo time :) I went and did my 150nm cross country a few weeks ago to at least show the DPE that I'm not just trying to bend the rules, but as my CFI says, there is literally no point in me spending 20 hours beating around the circuit on my own.

You mis-spelled “rescued by” #stiffassedbrit

Ha indeed. I’m not complaining. Flying costs about half as much as I was paying back home. Plus the culture around no landing fees, lots of airfields, more open airspace etc is very refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went and did my 150nm cross country a few weeks ago to at least show the DPE that I'm not just trying to bend the rules, but as my CFI says, there is literally no point in me spending 20 hours beating around the circuit on my own.

The old saying, "You can have 100 hrs of experience, or 1 hour of experience 100 times", contains a lot of wisdom.

WHy did you opt to downgrade your certificate? I’m also unfamiliar with how it works, so perhaps it costs money and time to keep the full ICAO license?

WHy did you opt to downgrade your certificate? I’m also unfamiliar with how it works, so perhaps it costs money and time to keep the full ICAO license?

At the time the currency requirements were simpler, and the medial requirements changed for the full ICAO. At the time I would have had to jump a lot of hoops to get the required class 2 medical. Thankfully all that’s resolved now.

I did consider going home and renewing my old ICAO with a check ride. But when you add up all the costs involved it just wasn’t worth it. Not to mention my FAA ticket would always hang off the CAA ticket and it just seemed like a pain in the ass for the sake of doing my 20 hours here. I fully expected having to do some instruction anyway to get used to flying in to American system, and so far it’s been fun.

You're right in that is a real pain. That's exactly why I'm going to through the process as if I'm just any other student pilot......except one who already has a load of solo time :) I went and did my 150nm cross country a few weeks ago to at least show the DPE that I'm not just trying to bend the rules, but as my CFI says, there is literally no point in me spending 20 hours beating around the circuit on my own.

Yeah we call that shet or get off the pot, or something like that. Welcome! I think you'll enjoy flying around in Ohio, and elsewhere, so git 'er done and get that certificate finished!

Welcome to POA! Glad to have you on this side of the pond. I hope you enjoy our aviation community. Good luck getting your ticket squared away, and we'll see ya at Oshkosh.

Flying costs about half as much as I was paying back home. Plus the culture around no landing fees, lots of airfields, more open airspace etc is very refreshing.

'murica!

But be aware (if not already) that the Dark Side is working around the clock to change that.

Cheers-

I spent many years across the pond trying to justify a trip to Oshkosh. Believe me! I’ll definitely be visiting in 2018.

8545892382b0e19ecb845c35c9abb9db.jpg

c37f18a2d0c1a8fe079a17f73f4c2746.jpg

60c55c2961cbcd68876828c74b30f459.jpg

She’s old but she gets the job done. $100 an hour wet too so happy days.

I spent many years across the pond trying to justify a trip to Oshkosh. Believe me! I’ll definitely be visiting in 2018.

Welcome!

But now that it's winter in Toledo, :eek: you might wish you listened to the Beach Boys and picked a California Girl. :D

You'll find quite a few of us here complain about the "high cost of flying". So your perspective, after escaping that overcrowded island, will be a refreshing change. ;)

Welcome,hoping for some of that dry humor.

The 172 I got my PPL in was painted with Krylon. Paint don't make it fly. Get er' done.

Welcome to POA and Ohio. My wife and I fly out of KBJJ. Holler if you're coming up this way....we live a couple minutes from the airport.

Jim

Welcome to PoA! Happy flying.

Welcome to POA and Ohio. My wife and I fly out of KBJJ. Holler if you're coming up this way....we live a couple minutes from the airport.

Jim
Yah same here except sub 15G about 10 miles north :)

Or maybe I can be arsed to fly 10 miles....

Welcome and Red Stuart is a great place. Got my Tailwheel Endorsement in Emerson’s Champ. Give the Stearman a try for some variety.

Cheers

Just curious, how many months of the year are flyable back there in Ohio? We are kind of spoiled out here in CA.

Hey, it worked! We somehow tricked an immigrant into living in Ohio instead of taking up space in one of the good states! We win! I mean, welcome.

Back