British guy now flying in Ohio - Hi!

Just curious, how many months of the year are flyable back there in Ohio? We are kind of spoiled out here in CA.

I kept my plane at Lawrence County KHTW on the bank of the Ohio River for seven years. I flew every month of the year, but Jan & Feb had the fewest flyable days (icing, low clouds, etc.). August was often tough, too, due to reduced visibility and haze.

Taking off on a breakfast run solo with half tanks when it's 8°F outside gives really amazing performance! But preflight is no fun . . . .

Their kids with be British and American. I think it’s a ploy by the queen to take America back
How could that be?

A child born abroad to US Citizens can get US citizenship, but:
I doubt that the new Princess in town will retain her US citizenship. Just doesn't have the same payoff.
I also doubt that a child born to a Royal would ever denounce British citizenry and all of the entitlements thereof, so therefore no political future here.

Whether the US won the war or not is debatable, but that war is certainly over.

Just curious, how many months of the year are flyable back there in Ohio? We are kind of spoiled out here in CA.
I fly out of CAK in northeast Ohio. I fly year round - but this time of year it is hit / miss on weather. I flew a few days ago and it was beautiful. We had pretty good flying weather for most of December. We have snow / ice and low ceilings now and It looks to be bitter cold for the next week or so. We definitely get fewer flyable days in January and February around here. It’s actually better in south west Ohio were the OP is at. I am in that area for work fairly often and I often drive out of the low ceilings around Columbus and the Dayton / Cincinnati area is flyable.

Welcome!! Im based at I74 just up the road, know the stewarts well!

I fly out of 3I7, and am at Sporty’s about once every 2 months.

Seems like a lot of Ohio POA folks. Need to meet for lunch somewhere around Columbus sometime.

I fly plenty in the winter, but do few trips beyond day trips to neighboring cities. The IR might change that assuming:
1. I do it and
2. I ever get my airplane back from the avionics shop

2. I ever get my airplane back from the avionics shop

Not to hijack but it’s quiet... what are they doing over there?

Handcrafting you a new panel from raw materials from the mines, and hammers? LOL.

Seems like they should have been done months ago.

Not to hijack but it’s quiet... what are they doing over there?

Handcrafting you a new panel from raw materials from the mines, and hammers? LOL.

Seems like they should have been done months ago.
What they're doing is installing a KLN94, a new radio, and a Stratus ADSB transponder. Aircraft was delivered just before Thanksgiving.

What they're doing is installing a KLN94, a new radio, and a Stratus ADSB transponder. Aircraft was delivered just before Thanksgiving.

Hahaha. I don’t think they’re “doing” what they say they’re “doing”, Professor. I hope they get to “doing” it soon though, so you get your ride back.

Just for comparison, our shop is saying they’ll be three weeks for much more work, and that’s with giving anyone who wanted it the time from Christmas to New Years off... or paying them double time if they decide they’d rather work. Thanksgiving to now, is crazy-long for that.

Of course we’ll see if our shop hits their date, too... but I think they’ll win this race...

Wow, man. Did they give you an estimate on the labor hours?

I bet you know the guy who made a video about them "restoring" a B-17 there. :)
Or, is this the shop that is doing Steingar's panel?

No idea about Steingars plane, but yeah. Dewey and I are buddies, I do all the Mx on his aircraft.

Mine is sitting at BJJ waiting for the avionics. I want my Mooney back! I do fly to I74 every so often to get lunch at that great restaurant.

Will we get some of that Brit Pilot Banter on CTAF:

Funny I am also a dual national born in the Northeast of England and always got tagged to be a liaison to the British when deployed...So damn few GA pilots and so expensive to fly there...on the GA side...enjoy it...

We should have a meetup when the WX improves a bit! I love that corridor between Sportys down south up to Toledo, so many airports and so much flying going on. Two weeks ago it was as windy as it was sunny and ATC had me dodging planes, changing altitude, looking outside, GoFasts.jpg it was great fun flying. BTW, according to Garmin Pilot I've flown in every month during the past 24. Once had a guy at I74 (Urbana Grimes) tell me "flying is done for the winter, see you when it warms up." But as many will tell you, this is some of the best flying time there is.

p.s. Yes that's my old 172 doing almost 170 mph GS! :happydance:

Yeah, I'll happily fly all winter. Cold temps make for a happy airplane. But I need an airplane to do it!

Mine is sitting at BJJ waiting for the avionics. I want my Mooney back! I do fly to I74 every so often to get lunch at that great restaurant.

Yeah, I'll happily fly all winter. Cold temps make for a happy airplane. But I need an airplane to do it!

If it will make you feel any better, I'll run over and pet it for you after I finish my coffee :)

We should have a meetup when the WX improves a bit! I love that corridor between Sportys down south up to Toledo, so many airports and so much flying going on. Two weeks ago it was as windy as it was sunny and ATC had me dodging planes, changing altitude, looking outside, View attachment 58827 it was great fun flying. BTW, according to Garmin Pilot I've flown in every month during the past 24. Once had a guy at I74 (Urbana Grimes) tell me "flying is done for the winter, see you when it warms up." But as many will tell you, this is some of the best flying time there is.

p.s. Yes that's my old 172 doing almost 170 mph GS! :happydance:
I am up for a meetup. I would like to see the temperature climb a little bit though.

Welcome Philip to the states and the forum. I have a question for you, when you start take off roll and you look at your airspeed indicator and the needle starts to rotate....do you say anything and if so, what?

<----loaded questions are us.

Welcome Philip to the states and the forum. I have a question for you, when you start take off roll and you look at your airspeed indicator and the needle starts to rotate....do you say anything and if so, what?

<----loaded questions are us.
God save the imperial system?

Back