Bringing HER home...

Skywalker

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Skywalker
OK, after we busied everyone to give us advise about different aspects of buying our plane, we like to thank everyone, who gave input or advise to our questions. :yes:

We also thought, we share some pictures from the flight from Daytona Beach, Florida to Detroit, Michigan.

The weather forecast for the flight was exceptional and for the very first time since weeks, we saw - nothing... No rain, thunderstorm, low clouds, ... in any state along our planned routes and alternative routes. Nothing, but sunshine, low wind and - if any - high clouds! :eek: :yesnod:

Therefore, we decided to do the long tour in three days: Daytona Beach, Florida to New Orleans, Louisana to Glasgow, Kentucky to Dayton, Ohio :)D) and then to Detroit, Michigan. That was a total of 1,300 NM and 15 hours of flight - we enjoyed every single mile / minute.

Here are some picture of day 1: Daytona Beach International (KDAB ) to Slidell (KASD)

The lady at the Cessna Center... ;)
01_DSC03543_S.jpg

Take-off in KDAB with the Daytona Beach Racetrack:
04.jpg

Florida impressions:
07_P1090418_NS.jpg

08.jpg

09_P1090517_NS.jpg

One of the many suburbs along the route (this was taken in Alabama):
11_DSC03646_NS.jpg

Coastline:
12_DSC03676_NS.jpg

The very nice, friendly and supportive FBO in Slidell (KASD) organized a rental car for us, which came in the lady's colours! :yesnod:
IMG_20150430_192818S.jpg

New Orleans - the Riverwalk at night:
IMG_20150430_214809S.jpg

- End of day 1 -

Last edited:
Weather has been pretty good. I flew 1000nm yesterday from Florida to Nebraska with only a slight thunderstorm delay in Nebraska but it all went well.

I've come to appreciate the 48 gallons usable the old 1968 177 came with.

Nice looking airplane and superb pictures!

Re: Bringing HER home... part 2

Now the pictures from day 2: Slidell (KASD) to Glasgow, Kentucky (KGLW)

It was amazing how different the scenery was on short distances. Other times, we saw nothing but forest or swamp land:

02_S.jpg

03_P1090748_NS.jpg

04_S.jpg

Gas stop at Marion County-Rankin Fite Airport (KHAB ) - just shortly before we saw two fighter jets take off at Meridian NAS (NMM). Their perfomance was slightly different than ours... :redface::
05_S.jpg

06_S.jpg

West of Sheffield, Alabama:
08_P1090852_NS.jpg

09_S.jpg

10_P1090933_NS.jpg

North of Nashville, Tennessee:
14_P1100094_S.jpg

15_P1100100_NS.jpg

Again we were supported by an exceptional FBO in Glasgow (KGLW) to get our rental car at the end of this day - even after hours.

- End of day 2 -

Last edited:
Great pictures, congratulations, and glad you are having fun on the way home.

Re: Bringing HER home... part 3

Our last day on our way home to Detroit started in Glasgow. As a welcomed stop, we planned Dayton - Wright Brothers (KMGY) where Tim had organized a fly-in! We only planned to stay for two hours, but ended up to have so much fun and were involved in so many interesting conversations, that we finally took off after around five hours! It was an awesome time at the fly-in and we enjoyed it tremendously! :yes::yesnod:

Here are the pictures from that day:

Just after take-off in Glasgow:
P1100164_NS.jpg

Enroute to KMGY:
P1100360_NS.jpg

P1100445_NS.jpg

Enroute to Detroit:
P1100553_S.jpg

Downtown Toledo:
P1100627_S.jpg

P1100632_S.jpg

Almost there - Detroit Suburbs:
P1100652_S.jpg

P1100658_S.jpg

- End of day 3 -

The lady is now in her hangar. The weekend before last we shoveled 8 yards of gravel to make the hangar nicer. :)

DSC03946_S.jpg

Thank you all for your nice comments. We really like the lady and are proud of our first 'real' plane. The trip was awesome. :yesnod:

Thank you again,
Martina

Congratulations! So I don't have to go to another thread, what year and model?

Thank you!! She is a 1966 172G and has the 6 cylinder Lycoming (upps... :redface:) Continental O-300 with 145 HP.

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

It was great meeting you guys at Dayton!

Thank you! It was great meeting you and all the others. :yesnod: Your plane is a real beauty - I really like her (I shouldn't say that too loudly, otherwise our lady gets jealous... ;))

Beautiful! What a trip, and for such a great mission.

Joy to you!

It was a real pleasure meeting you two at Dayton. You've quite a find, a very nicely equipped Skyhawk. I hope it helps you make numerous fond memories. Congratulations.

OK, after we busied everyone to give us advise about different aspects of buying our plane, we like to thank everyone, who gave input or advise to our questions. :yes:

We also thought, we share some pictures from the flight from Daytona Beach, Florida to Detroit, Michigan.

The weather forecast for the flight was exceptional and for the very first time since weeks, we saw - nothing... No rain, thunderstorm, low clouds, ... in any state along our planned routes and alternative routes. Nothing, but sunshine, low wind and - if any - high clouds! :eek: :yesnod:

Therefore, we decided to do the long tour in three days: Daytona Beach, Florida to New Orleans, Louisana to Glasgow, Kentucky to Dayton, Ohio :)D) and then to Detroit, Michigan. That was a total of 1,300 NM and 15 hours of flight - we enjoyed every single mile / minute.
That sounds like a great trip. I wish I had known you were in Daytona Beach. I'd of loved to have met up with you and the Lady.
Congrats!

Congrats
Great looking plane!
Looks like the plane The 1940 Terminal Museum in Houston is Raffling off.

Congrats on the purchase and a memorable flight home!

Some panel pics would be nice when you get a round tuit.

Congratulations on your new plane, first PoA fly-in, and new home!

Enjoyed meeting you at Tim's, although our time was too brief.
How you're able to make it to Wings! :)

Great looking airplane and beautiful pictures!! What a great first trip with your new lady! :D

Congrats on the new purchase! The O300 is indeed smooth. Now you need to bring her to her second POA flyin The FlyBQ weekend after next!

Have a blast flying her!

That sounds like a great trip. I wish I had known you were in Daytona Beach. I'd of loved to have met up with you and the Lady.
Congrats!

We will let you know, when we will be in the area again. :) We arrived very late in the evening and thought we would be able to leave early in the morning to fly to St. Augustine and meet with the flight school, we made our PPLs at. Because our departure was so delayed (we didn't leave before 1:30 pm), we didn't even make it there...:(

Last edited:
Everyone always wants to see "under the hood" :lol:

:eek::hairraise::yikes::lol:

OK - here are pictures from the panel:

This one is from the ad:
550c4a2e42c16.jpg

This one is the only one, that I took myself. My focus was obviously outside... :D:
P1090727_NS.jpg

Congrats on the new purchase! The O300 is indeed smooth. Now you need to bring her to her second POA flyin The FlyBQ weekend after next!

Have a blast flying her!

Congratulations on your new plane, first PoA fly-in, and new home!

Enjoyed meeting you at Tim's, although our time was too brief.
How you're able to make it to Wings! :)

Thank you, both!

Unfortunately it is quite unlikely that we will fly her to The FlyBQ... :(:frown2::cryin: We definitely plan to be at 6Y9 in September, though. :):yesnod:

Congrats Skywalker. We used to have a 172G. I wish I had kept her.

We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and Oliver. Look forward to 6Y9 in the fall. Hope to get back to Plymouth Mettetal soon. Enjoy that smooth motor and good luck. We too found the manifold pressure interesting.

Martina and I had a great time: During the flight and in particular at the fly-in, meeting all of you. What a great group of people!

[...] Hope to get back to Plymouth Mettetal soon. [...]

Great idea! Let us know when you are planning to come. :yes:

Awesome pictures! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera were you using? Or at least what kind of lense?

Awesome pictures! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera were you using? Or at least what kind of lense?

Thank you for your nice feedback. :) I use a Panasonic FZ150 and a Sony DSC-HX9V. I think, most of the pictures in this thread are made with the Panasonic but the Sony has equally good results. Because some pictures were quite hazy, I used the option 'automatic correction' in Irfanview for those pictures. The result is usually, that the hazyness goes away and the colors are as clear as they have been in reality. :)

She has a manifold pressure gage...that's interesting.

I've never quite understood why but the fixed pitch equipped Cessna 177 do too.

Its almost like they didn't want to leave a blank hole so they just shoved something in it.

Back