Bridges You'd Like to Fly Under - But Won't

The big trouble is, if you succeed, who can you tell?
You tell your grandkids, so they can spill the beans after you die. My grandpa and a friend of his kept a (very illegal to, um, “harvest”) whale jawbone hidden for years. The son of the friend hung it up in his FBO. “The law can’t get either one of them now.”

One of the nice things about most of the POA being on the east coast is that us west coasterners have the first dibs on west coast stuff:

11907152_879932332098898_4277930257923892981_o.jpg

Last edited:
The Perrine Bridge over the Snake River just outside of Twin Falls, Idaho.

Twin-Falls-Banner.jpg

Well I'll be danged, someone did it. I just googled 'bridge coyote' as play on @Tools 's post #35 above and found the pic. It was a play on 'coyote ugly.' There is a Coyote Canyon bridge.
"A very wise scotch drinker once said... “once you’ve seen one woman nekked, you want to see them ALL nekked.”
To answer the question, I want to fly under ALL of these bridges. Every last one, and then some. Then do a touch and go ON them."

Not really a bridge, but an Archway...

87268046_10157687335605169_1920566683072724992_n.jpg

There is a picture of someone flying under this one...with a water skier in tow.

Meridian_Bridge.jpg

How about under a tower? WWII fighter pilot who flew THROUGH the Eiffel Tower dies in Virginia aged 92 | Daily Mail Online

In the spring of 1944, he was following a German aircraft over Paris, with the two planes firing at each other. Overstreet eventually hit the other pilot's engine.

As the German pilot desperately sought to out-maneuver Overstreet, he flew beneath the Eiffel Tower - but the brave American flew directly beneath it and continued to fire.

The German plane crashed and Overstreet was able to escape the city.

The astounding show of skill and bravery lifted the spirits of the French, french dignitary, Bernard Marie, told the Roanoke Times.

article-2533373-1A67496300000578-171_634x508.jpg

Perrine Bridge, Twin Falls, Idaho

There is an apocryphal story that the instructor who taught my dad to fly flew under this in the early 1950's. I suspect he wasn't the only one, it's nearly 500' above the Snake River.

There is a version of that story that says he looped the center span, flying under it twice.

There is a newer bridge there now, the photo shows the one that existed at that time. It's now the busiest year-round base jumping destination in the world, so flying under it would be an especially bad idea today.

lnhMjJX7usd0wsmwIB2SkFkPvkVcmxocm9z4ZkJ1fbpAVsU777ADZPeAeMiVzfkHLdBu0YSmlmO2ETpvOqoVvalrl6Zo8UqwGuqPWImvv2EGpV8DEr_vpxMuLYgdtTOMwHvLVS4FwJx9p_PRvQ503hrPikLq7h5CEO8V5hOzDBVeZA

The Perrine Bridge over the Snake River just outside of Twin Falls, Idaho.

Twin-Falls-Banner.jpg

And for the person who said they need a No Fishing from Bridge sign, when we were there in March there was no such sign. My brother and his wife live in Buhl. When we stopped at the visitor's center there were a number of people prepping for BASE jumping from the bridge. That picture is taken from the view point at the visitor's center.

Under Wire and under bridge flight was a require maneuver for Army Mission training in Germany during the Cold War for helicopters with one exception the bridge at Schwabisch Hall…and not sure why but it was a good one…but was sort of routine at one time in my life…Probably just leave it there..

Flew under Deception Pass many time. Often at north of 400 KTS. Sure, it was in the EA-6B Prowler sim but what the heck.:D

C5M3tTQ.jpg

I know someone who did it in real life…then got the FAA version of a “time out”…

Under Wire and under bridge flight was a require maneuver for Army Mission training in Germany during the Cold War for helicopters with one exception the bridge at Schwabisch Hall…and not sure why but it was a good one…but was sort of routine at one time in my life…Probably just leave it there..

Not a required maneuver post Cold War but we were still authorized to fly under bridges in Germany when I was there. Only requirement was a pre recon prior to conducting said maneuver. Never done it personally but knew those that had.

1. Given the cars are about 15’ in length, her height is over 100’, not 50’ as advertised.
2. Where does a woman 100’ tall shop for clothes?
3. I don’t like angry 5’ women…a 100’ …forget about it.

Are bridges specifically illegal or does it fall under the generic minimum safe altitude rule?

As I read it once it’s the 500’ thing... so if ya could find a 510 footer...

Not that I was looking for a loophole...

As I read it once it’s the 500’ thing... so if ya could find a 510 footer...

Not that I was looking for a loophole...
There are seven bridges in the US where you can do that.

Bridge is very close to my family’s home in Barnard Castle for many years…beautiful Northeast English town.

Are there any bridges it is legal to fly under?

As I previously stated, 7 of them don't violate FAA min altitude rules.

Royal Gorge Bridge
Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge
New River Gorge Bridge
Foresthill Bridge
Glen Canyon Dam Bridge
Phil G. McDonald Bridge (Glade Creek Bridge)
Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

Royal Gorge Bridge
Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge
New River Gorge Bridge
Foresthill Bridge
Glen Canyon Dam Bridge
Phil G. McDonald Bridge (Glade Creek Bridge)
Rio Grande Gorge Bridge
Hasn't the FAA considered bridges to be congested areas in some cases?

Hasn't the FAA considered bridges to be congested areas in some cases?

The FAA has probably considered unpopulated open fields congested areas in some cases just to hang someone.

For the bridges, and if they aren't hellbent on revocation, it would probably be based on the number of cars on the bridge at the time.

I think it was wording about structures. 91.119.c

that natural bridge is probably fine.

...Glen Canyon Dam Bridge
Do you mean this one? If so, the dam would create a little obstacle.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 09.05.01.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 09.09.36.png

Helicopter solves the problem.
But helicopters solve the regulation problem for many bridges. I've seen them under the Golden Gate. I think @EdFred meant you could fly under this bridge legally in an airplane because it's high enough to make the clearance restrictions moot.

How congested it is ain't really the issue. All it takes is one person, vessel or vehicle to invoke the 500' thang

Back