Breitling and Sponsorships

A quick thread drift type of question...

How many of you believe you are impacted by sponsorships or celebrity advertising? Do you buy a particular product because of who endorses it or what activities the corporation sponsors?

An expensive watch is jewelry folks. How do you justify jewelry? You can't - really. It just makes you feel good.

For some people that feeling is worth the money. For others it's not.

Fun discussion. Surprised at their revenue. Damn. Anyone want to start a watch company with me? :)

How many of you believe you are impacted by sponsorships or celebrity advertising? Do you buy a particular product because of who endorses it or what activities the corporation sponsors?

I don't think I'm swayed by this. Though I will say it probably brings brands to my attention that I wouldn't have otherwise known / thought about. It definitely works though. A friend of mine saw my watch and said, "Thought you'd have a, what is it.. Breitling?" Interesting. But I definitely don't buy because so-and-so did a commercial.

When I was 17 I came to understand the power of advertising. I was working as a lot attendant at a car dealership (best job ever!) and wanted a snack. I went to the vending machine and saw a Snickers and thought, "Oh, that really satisfies" and bought it. So advertising does work, and I always think about that story when I'm buying something. "Is this something I really want? Or am I having a Snickers moment?"

Who the eff wears a watch anymore? Seriously. Do,som people watching. Literally. It's rare to see a wrist watch anymore, cept in the hood where they gots fake ass Fo-lex stuff they got at the swap meet or from the rent-A-wheel shop.

I don't ever get into a plane without an old fashioned watch.
I have a 30+ year old, self-winding, Seiko chronograph, no battery, no electronics, keeps perfect time and has time, elapsed time, hours, minutes and seconds.
With a watch, a ruler, and a map and a pencil, you can navigate to anywhere from anywhere.
I've had planes jammed full of technology that crapped out on me. My watch has never failed.
You can even determine direction using a watch, should your compass fail.

I just don't understand why you would need such an expensive watch. My $100.00 Timex tells time just as good. It's lasted 10 years and if I loose it I wouldn't feel the need to file an insurance claim.

Wow... rich man..!!!:lol:

My 19.95 Walmart special just died after 5 years. Going to be hard to replace that one.

I have my dads watch, the one he bought at a PX around 1972. It is one of those that you shake to wind up. It still works, but I don't use it because I don't want to take a chance on damaging it.

Not me. In fact I'll sometimes NOT buy something because some jerk is featured in an ad.

Cheers

My $10,000 rolex tells time worse than your timex. But it's a rolex and I bought it to signify a special moment in my life. Timex doesn't really do that the same way.

The day you became $10,000 poorer? ;)

I'm not impacted by advertising in any way, but I did just save a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico.

I have tried desperately to like Red Bull, because of their continued sponsorship of aviation. I did the same thing with Red Baron Pizza, back when they were sponsoring a flight team.

Unforunately, both products suck hind teat so badly that I can't (and couldn't) choke them down. Advertising and sponsorships can only help so much.

I am not enamoured with any musical artist, movie star, athlete, or politician. I don't care what product they're peddling, I don't buy products based off of celebrity approval. I may think a commercial is cool, or funny, or terrible. My purchase of a product is based off of need/want, and what will satisfy me for the least amount of expenditure.

I can't see myself owning any watch as exorbitant as a Rolex or Breitling, but I do think some models are attractive as jewelry. I only wear a wrist watch when I'm dressed up in a suit, which is only a couple of times a year. Otherwise I don't bother with a watch at all. There are clocks on every electronic device in my house it seems, and several on the walls.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I

I think you mean it can display a picture that looks like the face of a Rolex. That's not the same thing as emulating a Rolex.
Actually, it goes well beyond showing a picture. The 3D animations showing moving gears, second hands, etc, are really quite amazing and wonderful.

There's people on this board that actually have disposable income left over to spend on things other than flying planes? :eek:
Unimaginable :D

[the only thing I have ever seen in a Breitling commercial that I want to own is the P-51]

Love Patek, was a tough call between picking up a 5164A and my current AP. Although now that I'm getting divorced it'll be much easier to justify it to myself lol

Which AP do you wear now? I love my 15202...
Had a Safari and 15400ST before the Jumbo. Never been a big fan of the "sporty" Pateks (heck, I don't even like 5711!)

I like the large faced watches. I've always wanted a Breitling but always had other priorities in watches. I have a Rolex, a Bell&Ross, a U-boat, and Omega. Some day I'll own a Breitling. By the way, always buy second hand. Retail is for suckers.

I only buy new, because I can't afford second hand prices. I do make nice additional income by selling watches that I've bought new from AD though...

Which AP do you wear now? I love my 15202...
Had a Safari and 15400ST before the Jumbo. Never been a big fan of the "sporty" Pateks (heck, I don't even like 5711!)

Rocking a diver, upgrading to a panda shortly. Ultimately looking to get into a ceramic ROO.

The day I got the ATP certificate. The type rating got me a big paycheck so technically spending 10k was still making lots of money.
No it wasn't. You were still spending money, you just had more money to spend. The watch did not make you money.

I love peanut m&ms but can't bring my self to buy them with them sponsoring Kyle Busch.

No it wasn't. You were still spending money, you just had more money to spend. The watch did not make you money.
Well you're right, I could have worded it different. I still netted piles of money even though I spent a small pile on the GMT Master II BLNR

Well you're right, I could have worded it different. I still netted piles of money even though I spent a small pile on the GMT Master II BLNR

Batman is one of those watches that won't really depreciate either, so your money is "safe" there...

Batman is one of those watches that won't really depreciate either, so your money is "safe" there...
I agree. I didn't get Batman for an investment purpose. But I think it's going to be very safe like you say. If takes a loss in value over time it won't bother me either.

I'd like to see you do that in an airplane, in instrument conditions, in turbulence.

If you are in IMC and turbulence, without instruments, you have a host of other problems to solve before you need to know what direction you are going.

Back