Bourbon

And now I must confess...

I shouldn't criticize my buddy, because although I haven't done this in years I can tell you that Jack and Diet Dew is really good.

I occasionally enjoy a bourbon and Coke, when I have an inexpensive bourbon in the house. I'd never mix one of the better bourbons with soda.

I occasionally enjoy a bourbon and Coke, when I have an inexpensive bourbon in the house. I'd never mix one of the better bourbons with soda.

My wife always grabs some nice small batch or single barrel to mix with Coke. I try to guide her towards the Four Roses yellow or Even Williams white for mixing, but I get the "Oh, so the good stuff is for you to drink and not for my mixed drinks???"

:rolleyes:

My wife always grabs some nice small batch or single barrel to mix with Coke. I try to guide her towards the Four Roses yellow or Even Williams white for mixing, but I get the "Oh, so the good stuff is for you to drink and not for my mixed drinks???"

:rolleyes:

To which my reply would be, "Damn skippy!" It also irks me when people think good bourbon should be consumed from a shot glass.

I thought it came in a glass.
My MIL will be over to "educate" you soon. Like she did me that time I poured her some white wine in a red wine glass. :hairraise:

There are all kinds of glasses. Shot glasses are too small. I'd have to tell my wife I had 10 glasses of (VodBourScotc). With a 12oz water glass, I can truthfully tell her I only had one (or two) glasses of (VodBourScotch)

For a while there I was thinking maybe I was drinking too much. Then I saw this thread... I'm fine.

I have to admit I like Kentucky Mules better than Moscow Mules (Bourbon rather than vodka). My recipe:

1 1/2 oz of Bourbon (usually Makers because I drink the others neat).
1/2 oz of Domain de Canton Ginger Liquor
Shot of ginger bitters.
1/2 oz of lime juice

Throw all that in a copper mug with ice and enough ginger beer (Goslings usually) to top it off.

I have to admit I like Kentucky Mules better than Moscow Mules (Bourbon rather than vodka). My recipe:

1 1/2 oz of Bourbon (usually Makers because I drink the others neat).
1/2 oz of Domain de Canton Ginger Liquor
Shot of ginger bitters.
1/2 oz of lime juice

Throw all that in a copper mug with ice and enough ginger beer (Goslings usually) to top it off.
Does the copper mug actually add anything that I wouldn't get from my water glass?

The copper itself isn't that important, but much with mint juleps, a metal cup enhances the experience in the way that glass (or, shudder, plastic). You stir the thing up to chill the cup.

Besides, my bar is stocked with the variety of vessels so no need to use the wrong one: Copper mugs, mint julep cups, rocks glasses, highballs, martinis, pint glasses, beer mugs, pilsners, Irish coffee mugs, and a variety of different wine glasses.

My MIL will be over to "educate" you soon. Like she did me that time I poured her some white wine in a red wine glass. :hairraise:

There are all kinds of glasses. Shot glasses are too small. I'd have to tell my wife I had 10 glasses of (VodBourScotc). With a 12oz water glass, I can truthfully tell her I only had one (or two) glasses of (VodBourScotch)

I have a few tulip-shaped Whiskey glasses that I got when I joined the Irish Whiskey Society. They're pretty close to what the Bourbon guys gave us for higher end tastings as well.

However, most of the time I use a rocks glass with one large ice sphere in it.

Besides, my bar is stocked with the variety of vessels so no need to use the wrong one: Copper mugs, mint julep cups, rocks glasses, highballs, martinis, pint glasses, beer mugs, pilsners, Irish coffee mugs, and a variety of different wine glasses.

Wow... I have a glass for all those as well.!! :lol::lol:

il_340x270.3290992221_56ue.jpg

I do also have two pint glases, one the Wendt's On The Lake 75th anniversary and one from Big Ass Fans (when I bought my hangar fans).

I also have 20 years or so of Vintage showplane mugs from Oshkosh.

Costco seems to have a rotating supply of Angel's Envy, Basil Hayden and Woodford Reserve these days.

That makes me very happy.

When the wife isn't home, the dishwasher gets full and then you HAVE to drink from the bottle.
That would take a while for me. There are three dishwashers in the house including one in the bar that I've modified the bottom rack to hold 25 drink glasses at a time.

That would take a while for me. There are three dishwashers in the house including one in the bar that I've modified the bottom rack to hold 25 drink glasses at a time.

Are you the one who came up with the brilliant idea of having two dishwashers in the kitchen and thus never having to put away the dishes?

Are you the one who came up with the brilliant idea of having two dishwashers in the kitchen and thus never having to put away the dishes?

That's Nobel Prize material right there.

The only time I mix something into my bourbon is when I'm enjoying a good Old Fashioned.

That has been my plan for years. But it keeps getting vetoed (by the same woman that complains that men "run" everything).

Alas, they're not anywhere near each other. Technically, we have three kitchens (two of which are indoors and have dishwashers, an odd artifact of how we built the house). The third dishwasher is in my bar (which while it has a sink, dishwasher, a fridge, freezer, and ice maker, it lacks a cooking device so it isn't technically a kitchen).

Whatever you do, don't get a Fisher-Paykel dish drawer set. It seemed like a good idea a the time in the last house, but it was nothing but a royal pain in the rear. It limits you to what you can load in it and the things are a reliability nightmare. My sister also put a pair in her house (makes my house look like a cottage) and one of them has never functioned.

Alas, they're not anywhere near each other.

OK, so not you, but someone on this board did install two in the kitchen. Take dishware from the clean, eat/drink, place in the dirty washer, clean, reverse. One never has to put the dishes in a cabinet or take them back out.

Brilliant!

OK, so not you, but someone on this board did install two in the kitchen. Take dishware from the clean, eat/drink, place in the dirty washer, clean, reverse. One never has to put the dishes in a cabinet or take them back out.

Brilliant!
My in-laws have that setup. It really comes in handy when the whole family comes over for dinner though.

I have not but I have heard it’s pretty good.
How about "Old Monk"? Hands down the best rum I ever had, but that's not saying too much, I haven't tried too many.

Yes but it has been a few years. I do not recall seeing it in the NC ABC stores.
And, you won't. It's not on the state's approved list (and many things that ARE on the state list like Pappy Van WInkle, you'll never find in the stores).

I see it for sale in NJ and DC.

And, you won't. It's not on the state's approved list (and many things that ARE on the state list like Pappy Van WInkle, you'll never find in the stores).
NC is a pretty decent state overall, but their liquor laws suck major donkey dong. I need to remember to go shopping next time I am somewhere else.

NC is a pretty decent state overall, but their liquor laws suck major donkey dong. I need to remember to go shopping next time I am somewhere else.
While it's technically illegal, I make a run down to SC (I'm north of Charlotte) to get stuff. Unfortunately, SC is a pretty small market and doesn't get decent inventory either. If you're in a major metropolis (NY or nearby CT/NJ) or DC or whatever, you have an easier time.

While it's technically illegal, I make a run down to SC (I'm north of Charlotte) to get stuff. Unfortunately, SC is a pretty small market and doesn't get decent inventory either. If you're in a major metropolis (NY or nearby CT/NJ) or DC or whatever, you have an easier time.
Aren’t you allowed to bring a certain amount across state lines?

Back