Bourbon

My collection...
b80b4876b6ee0eb82885adbc8056feca.jpg

That looks like part of a deleted clip from Dr Strangelove. Is that all American Whiskey? Asking because not only don't I see anything like gin, rum, etc., I don't see anything I recognize as Canadian or Irish.

Would someone kindly explain the difference between bourbon and American whiskey? The reason I ask is my favorite is called an American whiskey. It's Triple Smoke (can't remember the distillery name). The only Scotch I ever really loved isn't made any more. I'm hoarding a bottle, to be broken out at the next pilot get together I make it to.

On the whole, though, I'm a vodka person, so I don't go through a lot of whiskey (for that matter, I don't go through a lot of vodka, either). But I do like it once in awhile.

My collection...

Quite impressive. I was curious, is this man just a showman, or a true drinker? Then I spotted the handle of black label Jack with a low level on the bottom right. Nice everyday choice in an economical size. Carry on.

Would someone kindly explain the difference between bourbon and American whiskey? The reason I ask is my favorite is called an American whiskey. It's Triple Smoke (can't remember the distillery name).

All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon. Whiskey is made from fermented grain and then aged in barrels. Bourbon is a whiskey that must be made from a mash consisting of at least 51% corn and then aged in new charred oak barrels. If it is aged for at least two years, it is Straight Bourbon. If all of the spirits in the bottle come from a single distillery, it is a Single Malt, like your Triple Smoke Whiskey.

Would someone kindly explain the difference between bourbon and American whiskey? The reason I ask is my favorite is called an American whiskey. It's Triple Smoke (can't remember the distillery name). The only Scotch I ever really loved isn't made any more. I'm hoarding a bottle, to be broken out at the next pilot get together I make it to.

On the whole, though, I'm a vodka person, so I don't go through a lot of whiskey (for that matter, I don't go through a lot of vodka, either). But I do like it once in awhile.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/bourbon-vs-whiskey/

A good example is Mitchner’s. They produce a bourbon and an American whiskey. My understanding is they reuse the bourbon barrels to age their whiskey. I like the whiskey better than their bourbon.

My collection...
b80b4876b6ee0eb82885adbc8056feca.jpg

I counted 21 bottles that were less than full, so clearly an active source of drinks.

With respect to the difference between Bourbon, and whiskey, Bourbon was originally a Kentucky only product, with Tennessee added later. Now, to get the real thing, you need to look for "Kentucky Bourbon" on the label. No product may be sold as Bourbon, in the USA, unless it was produced in the USA, by Federal statute.

Indiana is the third largest producer of Bourbon, with just one distillery.

I visited a friend who had a supply about one quarter that size, all in clear glass containers, and no labels. I refrained from asking whether he produced it, or his neighbors did. He claimed that the variation of color was related to what used barrels were used for aging, and whether the barrels were burred while aging. Modern amateurs' are more inventive than the old timers. Tractors with front end loaders make such hidden storage easy.

I think at 18 anything wet and alcoholic tasted good.... Hell I use to steal my grandma's beer... Schaffer... lmao

“The one beer to have, when you are having more than one”! Anyone else remember that jingle?

I counted 21 bottles that were less than full, so clearly an active source of drinks.

With respect to the difference between Bourbon, and whiskey, Bourbon was originally a Kentucky only product, with Tennessee added later. Now, to get the real thing, you need to look for "Kentucky Bourbon" on the label. No product may be sold as Bourbon, in the USA, unless it was produced in the USA, by Federal statute.

Indiana is the third largest producer of Bourbon, with just one distillery.

I visited a friend who had a supply about one quarter that size, all in clear glass containers, and no labels. I refrained from asking whether he produced it, or his neighbors did. He claimed that the variation of color was related to what used barrels were used for aging, and whether the barrels were burred while aging. Modern amateurs' are more inventive than the old timers. Tractors with front end loaders make such hidden storage easy.
Don't forget, to be "Bourbon" it has to be made from at least 50% corn! Second grain is usually rye, or now wheat with the latter being "wheated" bourbons like your Makers Mark, Weller, Pappy VW, etc.

Let’s clarify this in pilot terms... to be “Bourbon” it merely has to be produced using the Bourbon TCDS.

Trivia. The original beer TCDS, the Reinheitsgebot purity law of 1516, only specifies three of the four known ingredients for beer... which one was originally omitted and why?

Yeast was omitted, because it wasn't yet known in 1516. The beer fermented with wild yeast, which tended to be everywhere in the breweries anyway.

I believe some of the Belgian beers still ferment without addition of yeast; over the centuries, the right strains of wild yeast came to dominate in the breweries and they find their way into the wort.

Is there a sugar free bourbon.??

Oh wait.... it took a long 0.75 seconds to search....

And the answer is....

Let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby to have ourselves a treat.!! (advertisement)

True bourbon—that is, bourbon with no flavorings or sweetener—contains virtually no sugar. The USDA nutrition facts for whiskey register 0 grams of sugar in a 1.5 oz serving. Avoid any sweet, dessert or fortified wines — like sherry — they all come with extra carbs. Go for straight-up spirits — Spirits like bourbon, gin, rum, scotch, tequila, vodka and whiskey all have zero carbs, but they DO have calories which all come from alcohol.

That looks like part of a deleted clip from Dr Strangelove. Is that all American Whiskey? Asking because not only don't I see anything like gin, rum, etc., I don't see anything I recognize as Canadian or Irish.

It’s a good collection, and not all American. There’s a bottle each of Port, Belvedere Vodka or Gin (Vodka, I think) sweet and dry vermouth, and Benedictine.

I took my son and one of his childhood friends flying last night. My son enlisted as a Marine in 2011 and is now a USN officer. His friend enlisted in 2012 as a Marine. The friend had never been in a small plane. We took a 2 hour sightseeing ride over the city and I got 4 night landings to keep my currency.

This afternoon he brought this by the house. I've never heard of this, but seems interesting.
Milam n Greene.jpg

Side question, this does not qualify as compensation right?

Clearly off topic, but while on the subject of booze TCDS... a friend of mine likes scotch but won’t drink it because it’s not American made...

a relatively new product in the craft distillery world, American made 100% barley malt whiskey... even American oak barrel aged. Basically American made scotch.

Opinions forthcoming still. My guess is it’s closest to a highland. Didn’t say whether peat moss or some form of smoking was used during the malt drying process. Interesting for sure.

To be compensation, it would have to be something of value. That is bourbon, so no.

- says the rum drinker, while ducking and running for cover.

Like bourbon because a very drinkable bourbon can be had for a price that will only buy completely rotgut Scotch.

Clearly off topic, but while on the subject of booze TCDS... a friend of mine likes scotch but won’t drink it because it’s not American made...

a relatively new product in the craft distillery world, American made 100% barley malt whiskey... even American oak barrel aged. Basically American made scotch.

Opinions forthcoming still. My guess is it’s closest to a highland. Didn’t say whether peat moss or some form of smoking was used during the malt drying process. Interesting for sure.

There are a number of American single malt whiskies nowadays. Some of them are quite good. I particularly like Hudson Whisky Single Malt (alas, no longer available) from upstate NY and Sons of Liberty Uprising from Rhode Island. They do have a distinctive taste compared to Scotch. Hudson's technique is to age the whisky in tiny barrels, on the theory that the aging is based on the whisky's interaction with the air through the porous wooden barrel. A smaller barrel has more surface area per unit volume, so the aging proceeds faster.

For the bourbon guys, Hudson also makes a "Baby Bourbon" that is supposed to be quite good.

At the moment I'm sipping a Silver Seal single malt Scotch in lieu of cough syrup for my sore throat...

So.... anyone here know what GI Gin is?

So there I was... a plebe. Went to sick call, got some colorless odorless cough syrup...

GASP!!

Closer inspection revealed it to be nearly 40 proof! NASTY stuff. Was talking to dad who served in the 60s, “ya son, we called that GI Gin”.

Purely for medicinal reasons, of course... :lol:

Of course!

So.... anyone here know what GI Gin is?

So there I was... a plebe. Went to sick call, got some colorless odorless cough syrup...

GASP!!

Closer inspection revealed it to be nearly 40 proof! NASTY stuff. Was talking to dad who served in the 60s, “ya son, we called that GI Gin”.

A friend who is a vet used to buy "Military" branded liquor at the PX. I tried the Military Scotch. It was... vile.

Perfect timing. I started reading this thread with a dram sitting next to me. :)

I’ve been exploring different whiskey and bourbons for a few years now. I missed an opportunity to go to a Whiskey Feast on a business trip and I’m still kicking myself for missing.

too many great options to try

You ever tried diplomatico ? It has become my favorite rum lately.

Just for kicks I looked up one of their expensive bottles, Ambassador. Sells for over $300. The distiller's website recommends:
BEST SERVED
Enjoy it neat.

I thought that was funny. I can't imagine spending over $300 and drowning it with Coca Cola.

Just for kicks I looked up one of their expensive bottles, Ambassador. Sells for over $300. The distiller's website recommends:
BEST SERVED
Enjoy it neat.

I thought that was funny. I can't imagine spending over $300 and drowning it with Coca Cola.
This is the one I like. Readily available and under 100. I like it just fine.

343076E1-011C-4C8B-AB02-C73B8D08D63B.jpeg

BEST SERVED
Enjoy it neat.

I clicked on one of those "click bait" things recently. "10 things bartenders hate".
One of them was "Anything" and Coke.
I drink almost everything neat, unless you count the olive and water off the shaken ice in a vodka Martini. Sometimes I put in a drop of vermouth, but it's not really worth the trouble.

Funny thing though. for years (decades) I have been a Scotch Snob and told people that if Scotch isn't your favorite whiskey, you are drinking cheap Scotch. But in the past year, with a little effort, I seem to have ruined my palate to the point that I now prefer certain bourbons. Saving a few bucks is just a side benefit.

edit: I know that Martini Snobs say James Bond was wrong. "Shaken not Stirred" is wrong they say. It must be stirred. But I agree with Bond. I like my martinis shaken.

Last edited:
opened in paint, rotated 90*. boom.
Noooo, the thread-creator was thinking of all those guys that did already spend an evening drinking... now I have to get sober again to enjoy your work

Have to agree with hating whiskey and coke. Horrible. It makes the soda flat, and it makes the whiskey taste terrible. Pick one or the other.

You haven't seen the worst of it. A friend of mine drinks bourbon and Dr. Pepper.

ONLY Bulleit bourbon, And ONLY Dr. Pepper, not Pibb, not a store brand. If you don't have Bulleit and Dr. Pepper, he'll bring his own.

Yeah, that does sound worse. Now I'm wondering if he bought $200 of different kinds of bourbon just to find one he liked mixed with Dr. Pepper. Or if he was locked in a cabin for a weekend, and that's all there was to drink...

And ONLY Dr. Pepper, not Pibb, not a store brand.
Dude didn't even get his degree.

I detest Pepper/Pibb/etc... The Bourbon could only improve it, though I doubt they do anything for the Bourbon.

You haven't seen the worst of it. A friend of mine drinks bourbon and Dr. Pepper.

ONLY Bulleit bourbon, And ONLY Dr. Pepper, not Pibb, not a store brand. If you don't have Bulleit and Dr. Pepper, he'll bring his own.

My ex-mother-in-law, who was from Texas, introduced me to bourbon and Dr Pepper. I haven't had it in a long time, but I was surprised it was as good as it was. Not horrible, as I expected. I took it to a horrible-foods potluck once, and it was a hit. (If you've never heard of a horrible-foods potluck, the idea is to bring something you secretly really like that you think others will hate. It was a pretty interesting dinner. The one thing that stuck out was spaghetti made with liver, which truly was horrible. A lot of raw cookie dough, which is not horrible at all.)

Back