Boulder/Superior sue Rocky Mountain Metro Airport over "100LL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace66

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ace66
Obviously it's about the noise, but they cite the leaded fuel. Of course the media doesn't do any research that would have included the hidden study that the town of Superior did on lead levels. I don't know how to link another thread but its detailed in "Hidden good news..." thread. The mayor of Superior, Mark Lacis, is a lawyer from New Jersey and ignorant of tolerance and the Western culture....

https://kdvr.com/news/local/superio...ad-fueled-planes-at-jefferson-county-airport/

They might complain about noise pollution. But a plane even if it's making laps in the pattern, the noise is something you can talk over for the 5 seconds the noise is there until it comes around 3 minutes later. Meanwhile Karen's husband will go 8 hours power washing the house, driveway, and pool. Then the leaf blowers with the 2 stroke motors. No problems there!

Deep down the problem really isn't the noise. It really isn't the lead. The problem is people just want something to complain about. When they tear down an airport and build row houses, they'll complain about the construction and the mud on the road. Then the houses themselves because they no longer have a view. Then they'll complain about the neighbors themselves. The problem is people. And if I ever win the lottery I'm buying enough land where there won't be people...unless you want to fly in on the grass strip I'll have. Then we can have a few drinks in my saloon and have this conversation over some whisky.

yup, it's why we hate our tract-hell setup so much, but it's all we can afford at this juncture of our work lives/circumstances/economy. [rural] Low population density is the only measure of affluence I care for anymore. With 8 billion apes on this rock, that ship has sailed I'm afraid. *kicks rocks*

Humans are like everything in life... only good in moderation. :fingerwag:

Sounds about right. We need a POA airport and hangars too.

And if I ever win the lottery I'm buying enough land where there won't be people...unless you want to fly in on the grass strip I'll have. Then we can have a few drinks in my saloon and have this conversation over some whisky.
When you do that, let me know and we’ll talk. Maybe you’ll let me build a hangar there!

How many signs in Omaha warn of lead? None.

"The Omaha Lead Superfund Site is comprised of residential properties, child-care centers, and other residential-type properties in the city of Omaha, Nebraska, where the surface soil is contaminated as a result of deposition of air emissions from historic lead smelting and refining operations. The health-based limit for lead in surface soil at residential locations is 400 parts per million (ppm). The site boundary encompasses 27 square miles and is centered on downtown Omaha, where two former lead-processing facilities operated."
1710329831651.png

When you do that, let me know and we’ll talk. Maybe you’ll let me build a hangar there!
Two people there? I’ll pass, thanks. Pretty soon there will be three or even four of you. I only like to enjoy my solitude in solitude.

There are enough people who dislike being around people to ensure that anywhere you can comfortably live without people around ends up having too many people in it. We like to blame Californians for doing this to places like Missoula, but the truth is that California is no less a victim than it is a perpetrator. I would love to live in California…as long as I could be the only person there.

The important thing is to keep fighting for leaded fuel - if we went to unleaded then the NIMBYs would have one less reason to complain and one less weapon to use against airports. Who would want that?

Keep arguing that the lead isn't "that bad". Ignore the fact that that ship has sailed. A long time ago. Keep up the good fight... just like Don Quixote...

The state of Colorado is an outlier in relation to the rest of the country in a couple ways:

1) The state does not have ANY funding involvement in airport improvement projects.
2) Seaplanes are banned.
Seaplanes - not completely. There are 2 seaplane bases (charted, too!) on private land. Twice a year there are splash-ins. But the airplanes must land at a nearby airport to be inspected for invasive species being transferred between water sources.

Obviously it's about the noise, but they cite the leaded fuel. Of course the media doesn't do any research that would have included the hidden study that the town of Superior did on lead levels. I don't know how to link another thread but its detailed in "Hidden good news..." thread. The mayor of Superior, Mark Lacis, is a lawyer from New Jersey and ignorant of tolerance and the Western culture....

https://kdvr.com/news/local/superio...ad-fueled-planes-at-jefferson-county-airport/
New Jersey.., say no more

Heres an outside the box idea.

Colorado hates aviation, let's shut it down. Let them see the economic and social impact of zero aviation in their state.
Like a day of action? Everyone pick a runway to land at KDEN then have a flat tire?

But you also have to shut down DEN while at it.

Yep, DEN too. I'm sure Nebraska would love to have a major hub out west.

Like a day of action? Everyone pick a runway to land at KDEN then have a flat tire?

Not a day, bulldoze them all, Daley style. Any and all aviation businesses pack it up and move to aviation friendly states. Better move the AF Academy too.

The state of Colorado is an outlier in relation to the rest of the country in a couple ways:

1) The state does not have ANY funding involvement in airport improvement projects.
2) Seaplanes are banned.
Colorado Aeronautics has a very robust grant program that not only matches 5% on an AIP grant, but they also fund 90% of the cost on many other projects. One of the non-NPIAS airports that I work with in Northern Colorado is set to be the recipient of several million dollars from CDOT Aeronautics to reconstruct their runway in 2025.

There are two designated seaplane bases in Colorado, one at Kenney Reservoir by Rangely and one at Lake Meredith east of Pueblo.

Colorado Aeronautics has a very robust grant program that not only matches 5% on an AIP grant, but they also fund 90% of the cost on many other projects. One of the non-NPIAS airports that I work with in Northern Colorado is set to be the recipient of several million dollars from CDOT Aeronautics to reconstruct their runway in 2025.

There are two designated seaplane bases in Colorado, one at Kenney Reservoir by Rangely and one at Lake Meredith east of Pueblo.
Thanks for the correction regarding funding. I was mistaken.

But you also have to shut down DEN while at it.
Please do. Colorado (aka Colofornia) is not the problem; Denver is the problem. The rest of us in Colorado have zero say in what happens in the state. They even want to tell us who we can vote for. Wishing eastern Oregon luck in wanting to become part of Idaho; maybe we can follow suit. I'm about ready to head back to Montana or Idaho.

Please do. Colorado (aka Colofornia) is not the problem; Denver is the problem. The rest of us in Colorado have zero say in what happens in the state. They even want to tell us who we can vote for. Wishing eastern Oregon luck in wanting to become part of Idaho; maybe we can follow suit. I'm about ready to head back to Montana or Idaho.

That is the case in a lot of states these days. The population is centered in one or two metro areas with vastly different political ideas than the rest of the state. That is truly what decides if a state is red or blue, where the 51+% live.

Same thing in California. Most of the state’s population is in six counties, and they control the remaining 52 counties. My brother-in-law’s activities on his 1800 ranch in the Central Valley, 15 minutes from the nearest small town and half an hour from a real city, are regulated by people who live in junkie and gang-infested metropolises and don’t have any concept that you can live in a home that doesn’t have a letter appended to the address number.

That is the case in a lot of states these days. The population is centered in one or two metro areas with vastly different political ideas than the rest of the state. That is truly what decides if a state is red or blue, where the 51+% live.

Same thing in California. Most of the state’s population is in six counties, and they control the remaining 52 counties. My brother-in-law’s activities on his 1800 ranch in the Central Valley, 15 minutes from the nearest small town and half an hour from a real city, are regulated by people who live in junkie and gang-infested metropolises and don’t have any concept that you can live in a home that doesn’t have a letter appended to the address number.

Agreed, but sad. I guess that is the price to pay for living in a rural area. I'll pay it. It will be worse if they are able to do away with the electoral college. Enough politics; I'm going for a walk on my seven acres.

Ditto in Washington State. Three western counties dictate over the other 36.

Maybe we need an electoral college at the state level. :D

MD is the same as others, metro areas dominate the voting.

The complaint about supposed disenfranchisement has nothing to do with geographic aggregation; it's still just a boilerplate anti-democratic (little d, not big D) gripe. aka voting minorities don't like popular democracy, especially in a first-past-the-post system. Shocker.

The poster a few posts back had it right when he correctly implied (when stating "counties don't vote") that only in the more anti-democratic systems (senate, electoral college) does geographic aggregation has any consequence. At the state level in the US, which is the source of the complaint, that gripe is moot because again, red uniparty states display the exact same dynamic as the blue uniparty states maligned on here.

This is to say, political-minority voters in red uniparty states have the exact same "disenfranchisement grievance" claim as political-minority voters in blue uniparty states. The constant grievance on here about places like CO/CA is somehow stipulated, but the second you highlight the same "injustice" in TX or TN, that's all of a sudden blasphemy.

That blind spot is why we don't like living in uniparty states of either flavor. Unfortunately geography and jobs rules the roost of our relative household scarcity, so we've been economic-shoved into places we rather not live in. As such, we've grown really fond of "purple" states within our desired time zone as we eyeball retirement. To each their own of course.

Ranked-choice voting would largely depressurize this issue across the Country imo. Wish in one hand, crap on the other see which one fills up first type of thing.

BL, I don't think further balkanization into blue/red uniparty states is healthy for the Nation, much as the natural reflex for people is to self-segregate in multi-ethnic/cultural Countries like the US. A dynamic author Bill Bishop described in his self-titled book The Big Sort.

Ditto in Washington State. Three western counties dictate over the other 36.

That is the truth!

Maybe we need an electoral college at the state level. :D

MD is the same as others, metro areas dominate the voting.

To get an electoral college would require a constitutional amendment. And the chance of that happening in a state is somewhere between 0 and non-existant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back