Bonanza F33A IO-520BB prop hub seal?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
1987 F33A, IO-520BB ... Our prop hub seal has failed. We have a new one; McCauley part # A1633-3. Google shows that it has been replaced by A-1633-3. I was told "See the dash? Makes our part invalid." Two different A&Ps, when asked, know nothing about this. “It’s ALWAYS been an A16…” (no dash), they say.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Thoughts?
And there are probably several more alternate P/Ns for the same o-ring. The dash could be a different mfg'r version. The MM or an email to McCauley support should give you the complete list of alternates.

so by "alternatives" that would imply "ok to use the original" or are the nay-sayers correct in that the older version is obsolete?

whatever McCauley sez....is good. Unless an AD is issued an older part is fine.

so by "alternatives" that would imply "ok to use the original"
Yes. The nay-sayers are full of it. I checked 4 different vendors, all reference A-16 replaces the A16 which only means the A16 is no longer manufactured--not that you can't use it.

Yes. The nay-sayers are full of it. I checked 4 different vendors, all reference A-16 replaces the A16 which only means the A16 is no longer manufactured--not that you can't use it.

Thanks. One point that took me down a rabbit trail is a number of google hits on the A-16* o-ring were showing up on Cessna/McCauley specific bulletins and references ... which led to other bunny trail thoughts.

I called McCauley, Tech services. A(dash) is a nomenclature change only. No seal change. An A16… will be older, but that is not significant. Shelf life is L-O-N-G.

Thanks for the confirmations and discussion. :)

Back