Boeing 737 Landing Speed

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
Yesterday I was on a business trip with all the aviation toys I can bring on the airplane. Garmin Pilot on Ipad Mini, LiveATC on Iphone, Flight tracker on Surface pro Laptop.

I was watching my Garmin Pilot during our 60 mile approach to the airport and on final our Airspeed was approximately 140 - 150 KTS. Is this the normal approach speed to landing for a 737. It seems fast or maybe not. :dunno:

Second Part Question. Am I sick "obsessive" person having all these toys on a flight. :hairraise:

Last edited:
I'm not a 737 pilot (by a long shot), but that doesn't seem fast at all to me for an airliner.

The Asiana 777 stalled at 115.

It's a function of weight and balance.

This is one of my favorite youtube 737 landing videos, at night into LAX with the HUD. You can see the airspeed on the left column.

Airspeed was approximately 140 - 150 KTS. Is this the normal approach speed to landing for a 737.
Perfectly normal actually.

Second Part Question. Am I sick "obsessive" person having all these toys on a flight. :hairraise:
If you are, so am I. I was using Avare on a commercial flight to LAS last month.

Technically and legally all that stuff is supposed to be powered off for takeoff and landing and below 10,000 feet.

Seems right on. Done plenty of ASR approaches for C-17s and C-141s and they were usually around 140-150 GS as well. One time had a C-17 doing 100 kts on final with a particularly good headwind.

This is one of my favorite youtube 737 landing videos, at night into LAX with the HUD. You can see the airspeed on the left column.

Where's the ILS CDI and glideslope on that thing? Are those the two circles in the middle?

I would guess that the GS is on the lower right, to the left of the DME, and the CDI is in the center of the heading indicator.

I'm not sure what you mean. My garmin pilot has ASI, ALT, Heading, Airspeed.

You do know the difference between airspeed and ground speed? GPS measures ground speed. Not sure there's any way for it to know airspeed without some sort of pitot tube sensor.

The Next Gen 737's are some of the fastest landing passenger aircraft Boeing builds. The -900 has very high Ref speeds. And keep in mind it only has one set of axles for braking unlike the multi-wheeled trucks on the wide bodies. 777 and 787 land much slower. I would not want to think of the landing speed of 737-900 no flap - it's too scary.

Yeah, I had a dude threaten to turn me in to the FAA because his GPS said I was doing 281 knots below 10,000'. :mad2:

Where's the ILS CDI and glideslope on that thing? Are those the two circles in the middle?

ILS glideslope is on the right. 5 dots and an arrow. In the middle is the velocity vector.

You do know the difference between airspeed and ground speed? GPS measures ground speed. Not sure there's any way for it to know airspeed without some sort of pitot tube sensor.

Yes I know the difference. I wasn't thinking. I did not know what the wind direction or speed was.

Last edited:
What airport and what was the temperature?

Not anymore? Or am I missing something?

They can be left powered up if they have an airplane mode. If there isn't an airplane mode available, they are supposed to be turned off. Unless you are an entitled pilot, then you can do whatever you want.

Awesome video! My dad is going to training on the 737 this week for Delta. I'll make sure to have him take pics of the sim and HUD

That would be a good indication.

BTW, Captain or First Officer? I hope to go to Captain School on the 737 at United sometime this Fall/Winter.

That would be a good indication.

BTW, Captain or First Officer? I hope to go to Captain School on the 737 at United sometime this Fall/Winter.
Captain. He finished his last trip as an FO in the 767-400 to Venice last week. Apparently Delta is upgrading a lot of pilots to Captain on the 737 and also putting a lot of new hires on it as well. What are you flying now?

Boeing 777. For the last 17 years. Time for a change.

Just think - you'll always be flying with your favorite Captain! :D

Congrats on the upgrade. I know it's been a long time coming.

Congrats on the promotions! I would think after the new factor of flying a huge jet war off it would get semi boring. Long hours in the air and only so many destinations that I would imagine would also get old after 17 years.

Congrats on the promotions! I would think after the new factor of flying a huge jet war off it would get semi boring. Long hours in the air and only so many destinations that I would imagine would also get old after 17 years.

Semi boring ? Compared to what ?

Back