Boeing 737 Landing Speed

Can't be worse than a no flap CRJ200, I've heard those are stupid fast too

Don't know about the CRJ200.
Heavy weight in the B-1 with flaps and slats is about 210kias. Normal light landing weights about 140-150. But loose the flaps and your back up to 200+ even at a light weight.

Don't know about the CRJ200.
Heavy weight in the B-1 with flaps and slats is about 210kias. Normal light landing weights about 140-150. But loose the flaps and your back up to 200+ even at a light weight.

How many sets of brakes you got on the Bone ?

David,
I wonder if people around you would get a little nervous if you pulled out a Stratus 2 with a suction cup holder and attached it to the window. Hit the button and the green light comes on.

Yesterday I was on a business trip with all the aviation toys I can bring on the airplane. Garmin Pilot on Ipad Mini, LiveATC on Iphone, Flight tracker on Surface pro Laptop.

I was watching my Garmin Pilot during our 60 mile approach to the airport and on final our Airspeed was approximately 140 - 150 KTS. Is this the normal approach speed to landing for a 737. It seems fast or maybe not. :dunno:

Second Part Question. Am I sick "obsessive" person having all these toys on a flight. :hairraise:

David,
I wonder if people around you would get a little nervous if you pulled out a Stratus 2 with a suction cup holder and attached it to the window. Hit the button and the green light comes on.

LOL

Yes but I want airspeed as well. I need a portable Pitot tube and hang it out the door connected to my Ipod Mini. LOL:rofl:.

LOL

Yes but I want airspeed as well. I need a portable Pitot tube and hang it out the door connected to my Ipod Mini. LOL:rofl:.

I see a possible new produce to sell. A Pitot Tube suction cup to the outside with a wireless Bluetooth link to your iPad.

The Next Gen 737's are some of the fastest landing passenger aircraft Boeing builds. The -900 has very high Ref speeds. And keep in mind it only has one set of axles for braking unlike the multi-wheeled trucks on the wide bodies. 777 and 787 land much slower. I would not want to think of the landing speed of 737-900 no flap - it's too scary.

I did a zero trailing edge flap landing in a -700 a few years ago. We were fairly heavy, and the ref speed was 172 kts. :yikes:

We used max autobrake, and the deceleration felt normal, until I looked at the AS and what I felt should be about 80kts, was about 120!

Brake cooling was a factor..... ;) They were smoking for about an hour after landing. I had to run interference between the FD and MX, because the FD wanted to spray them down with water based on the smoke and the temp readings they were getting with one type of thermometer. The MX Sup went about apoplectic when i told him that they wanted to spray them. They got a different type of thermometer and those readings were good enough apparently, so the FD didn't spray them.

FWIW, the NG does real nice landings with zero flaps, but it does roll a while!!

As for the OP's question, 140ish kts on approach is not unusual at all for a 737, heck, before we got fancy with a computer for landing data, and used cards that based the speed on the weight, 140 was more or less the standard approach speed, depending on who you were flying with.

Oh, and congrats to the soon to be newly minted 737 Capts! I've got about 14k in them, and overall, other than the cramped cockpit and VNAV (might be my company's software) it's a great airplane.

Last edited:
Where's the ILS CDI and glideslope on that thing? Are those the two circles in the middle?

The bigger circle with the little wings on it is the flight path indicator. It shows what the aircraft is doing. The little circle is the Flight Director. Flying the aircraft on approach if you keep the little circle centered in the flight path indicator you fly a perfect approach.

On the right side of the hud there is a little pointer that has several dots arranged vertically, that is the GS indicator. The CDI at the bottom displays course. It also looks like the heading tape on the top may have had a LOC indicator incorporated into it. Not sure about that though.

kphx. The time was 7:10 pm yesterday Southwest flight 610 KTPA to KPHX. I didn't pay attention to Temp.

The headwind was 6 knots, but with the temp of 29 C, the density altitude would result in a TAS about 6 knots higher than IAS. Those effects would cancel each other out so your GPS groundspeed readout was probably pretty close to the indicated airspeed on your flight, at least close to the ground anyway.

I'll bet it has brakes on all 8 wheels. The DC-10 has brakes on all 10 of the mains.

Yes, with temperature sensors that readout in the aft cockpit. Always check the brake temps on any landing. Do not taxi if brake temps get beyond a certain limit.

Back