Boeing’s on a streak...

It’s been my experience people don’t know if they’re on a jet or a turboprop…

Pretty sure IF they can figure out the kind of jet they’re on (by taking some app’s word for it) they ain’t NOT gonna go the minute they realize they gotta gate check a bag, sit in a middle seat, or spend a nickel more.
Maybe, maybe not.

This guy can definitely figure it out, and he has a pretty strong opinion on it.

Airbus has the same "type" of issues except you just don't hear about them. Plus they've had some very significant issues over the years that eclipsed the MCAS issue in my opinion. What Airbus doesn't have to deal with is the same "free" press and vindictive mentally that Boeing has to deal with. Did Boeing bring some of this on themselves? Sure. But just has people have the azz for all things Airbus it never raises to the same public levels as Boeing has to deal with.
Which issues has Airbus had that you consider to be of comparable type? And which very significant issues has Airbus had that you think eclipse Boeing's MCAS fiasco?

How is a panel that includes the brother of an ET302 crash victim considered ‘independent”?

While it doesn’t answer your question directly, the brother apprently holds a PhD in Aerospace Engineering from MIT and also lectures there. Appears his work is more in the ‘space’ part of aerospace, though.

Which issues has Airbus had that you consider to be of comparable type? And which very significant issues has Airbus had that you think eclipse Boeing's MCAS fiasco?
Keep in mind that not everyone assigns 100% of the responsibility for MCAS to Boeing. That being said, there were those who attributed the AF447 crash to Airbus' A330 human factors and handling qualities, even pointing out the perceived superiority of Boeing's control schema. Looking farther back, many still insist the A320 crash at Mulhouse-Habsheim was due to a flight control problem that was then covered up by Airbus. These don't necessarily eclipse the MAX issues, but they do point out the judgement based on rumor and innuendo despite facts and the public's short memory.

Nauga,
ebbing and flowing

While it doesn’t answer your question directly, the brother apprently holds a PhD in Aerospace Engineering from MIT and also lectures there. Appears his work is more in the ‘space’ part of aerospace, though.
MIT has lecturers and doctoral graduates that actually work in areas relevant to the panel, why didn't they choose one of them?

Nauga,
and his dog and pony

Keep in mind that not everyone assigns 100% of the responsibility for MCAS to Boeing. That being said, there were those who attributed the AF447 crash to Airbus' A330 human factors and handling qualities, even pointing out the perceived superiority of Boeing's control schema. Looking farther back, many still insist the A320 crash at Mulhouse-Habsheim was due to a flight control problem that was then covered up by Airbus. These don't necessarily eclipse the MAX issues, but they do point out the judgement based on rumor and innuendo despite facts and the public's short memory.

Nauga,
ebbing and flowing
Yes, many prefer flights of fancy to an icy plunge into a pool of cold hard facts. I'm not certain how that relates to Bell206's post.

Boeing has just been given 90 days to come up with a "quality action" plan; originally they had 180 days, but someone thought better of that.
Think of one of their obvious problems: the fuselage subcontractor was so bad that subcontractor employees were "stationed" at Boeing. That's exactly the opposite of what I've seen in industry, where if a major sub was having QA issues, the prime contractor would have their people at the source to prevent issues, rather than band-aid them after the fact.

Boeing has just been given 90 days to come up with a "quality action" plan; originally they had 180 days, but someone thought better of that.
Think of one of their obvious problems: the fuselage subcontractor was so bad that subcontractor employees were "stationed" at Boeing. That's exactly the opposite of what I've seen in industry, where if a major sub was having QA issues, the prime contractor would have their people at the source to prevent issues, rather than band-aid them after the fact.
Someone in a cubicle probably had a spreadsheet showing it was cheaper to have the sub on site to fix.

Boeing's org structure and culture are fatally flawed, and no "Quality Action Plan" is going to reorganize the company. Stonecipher accomplished his goal:

When people say I changed the culture of Boeing, that was the intent, so it's run like a business rather than a great engineering firm.”​
-Harry Stonecipher, former CEO of Boeing​

So today airlines are flying planes that are no longer built by a great engineering firm, and this is what you get. The change that is needed would require replacing the BOD and an army of executives and actually hiring and empowering a chief engineer with some backbone. The way employees view themselves, their jobs, and the company needs to change. Instead, they're essentially rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The restoration of Boeing will take years if not a decade, and it should have begun back in 2019. It didn't, and it still hasn't.

I can't speak to fixing corporate culture, except that to me it sounds unlikely to happen. I'm basing that on the field I work in, 'computer stuff', where technical change normally comes from new companies looking at things in completely different ways, not existing companies evolving. Getting to the specifics of a particular piece of software, for example, it's often the case that the way to fix it is to just create a new one from scratch.

So for Boeing, what would it take to create a new structure, new company, and gradually transfer the intellectual property, tooling, and trained technical personnel from Boeing to the new company? Looking as a company that needs to be rebuilt as something from scratch, not something to be fixed.

I know, there will be the general reaction that this isn't legally possible, or isn't "fair" to the company, but I think those views are a bit short-sighted, and that really Boeing has done this to themselves. They don't have any rights that are self-evident to me, it's just a thing that exists on paper, and the effect of the problem affects the US economy and national security.

Maybe it wouldn't be that big of a lift. Sort out what each manufacturing line does, and build a new infrastructure on top of that to tie it together.

Or we can just sit around and talk about it, and 30 years from now wonder why we have to buy fighter aircraft from France, like we did in WW1, because we don't have an aviation industry anymore.

Or we can just sit around and talk about it, and 30 years from now wonder why we have to buy fighter aircraft from France, like we did in WW1, because we don't have an aviation industry anymore.

Nah, you’ll be able to buy fighters from Lockheed Martin. Buying airliners will be the problem.

When people say I changed the culture of Boeing, that was the intent, so it's run like a business rather than a great engineering firm.
-Harry Stonecipher, former CEO of Boeing​
From NYT: “When people say I changed the culture of Boeing, that was the intent, so it’s run like a business rather than a great engineering firm,” Mr. Stonecipher said in 2004. “It is a great engineering firm, but people invest in a company because they want to make money.”

Even in context it's an incredible statement. Not optimistic a balance will be found in this generation between short term gain and long term benefit. Something something late state capitalism. Not my monkeys, not my circus.

Last edited:
You have to remember that it’s Boeing in name only. The Management that ruined McDonnell Douglas became the Management that has ruined Boeing. Basically McDonnell Douglas bought Boeing using Boeing’s money.

Yep, McBoeing, rotting from the top.
One of the most toxic aviation corporate cultures in existance, well exposed in the MCAS investigation, and with no indication of improvement. Every executive there that came from McD should be let go.
Joe Sutter must be spinning in his grave.

You have to remember that it’s Boeing in name only. The Management that ruined McDonnell Douglas became the Management that has ruined Boeing. Basically McDonnell Douglas bought Boeing using Boeing’s money.

And those managers were disciples of Jack Welch. Welch’s disastrous legacy goes on and on.....

What's the saying....McDonnell Douglas bought Boeing with Boeing's money?

A really good and sort of unknown movie that came out last year was "Blackberry". Founder was an engineering wiz with a disdain for electronics made in China. He gets convinced to outsource to China in the name of speed and profit to compete with the iPhone. First shipment came in and they ate it. Similar moral to the Boeing story.

Last edited:

Nauga,
ebbing and flowing
anybody that knows the airbus control system knows that is total bs

Looks like the lawyers are at work again...I always thought one must suffer damages to be sued for damages..

I think it falls under the legal theory of, "This was an unusual event and someone freaked out, so it MUST be worth some insane amount of money!!!!!!11!!!!1!!"

Which issues has Airbus had that you consider to be of comparable type?
The A380 production issues are one. And for the same reasons as Boeing is being accused for. Yet it never became global headline like Boeing. Helps when the media is “controlled” to limit any impact felt by the EU’s principal baby.

However, for the 380 it still didn’t matter as it didn’t last but 14 years before production being cancelled. The 737 on the other hand is still selling today.
And which very significant issues has Airbus had that you think eclipse Boeing's MCAS fiasco?
The alpha floor issues for one. Even though Airbus has said they have fixed the problem(s)… some say their fix was to simply inhibit the alpha floor protection trigger points to reduce the potential for inflight upsets. And even when there were human factors involved in those upsets as with the MCAS incidents, the Airbus side never gets hammered in the same manner as Boeing.

Same on the Airbus Helicopter side as well. They had one of their most popular models lose the entire top of the main transmission/MR blade assy not once but twice due to epicyclic failures along with a loss of life. Same story different department.

Regardless, the Airbus corporate culture is just as bad as Boeing and in some cases even worse. And if Airbus had to deal with 50% of the media scrutiny that Boeing does they wouldn’t survive the year.

I thought the "judgement based on rumor and innuendo despite facts" part was sort of an important part of the post you quoted. ;)

Nauga,
sharp at both ends

The A380 production issues are one. And for the same reasons as Boeing is being accused for. Yet it never became global headline like Boeing. Helps when the media is “controlled” to limit any impact felt by the EU’s principal baby.

However, for the 380 it still didn’t matter as it didn’t last but 14 years before production being cancelled. The 737 on the other hand is still selling today.

The alpha floor issues for one. Even though Airbus has said they have fixed the problem(s)… some say their fix was to simply inhibit the alpha floor protection trigger points to reduce the potential for inflight upsets. And even when there were human factors involved in those upsets as with the MCAS incidents, the Airbus side never gets hammered in the same manner as Boeing.

Same on the Airbus Helicopter side as well. They had one of their most popular models lose the entire top of the main transmission/MR blade assy not once but twice due to epicyclic failures along with a loss of life. Same story different department.

Regardless, the Airbus corporate culture is just as bad as Boeing and in some cases even worse. And if Airbus had to deal with 50% of the media scrutiny that Boeing does they wouldn’t survive the year.
Airbus has certainly engaged in plenty of bribery and corruption, but those sins, as I understand them, are related to selling airplanes and not designing and certificating them. I'd like to learn more.

Since these issues never became global headlines, perhaps you can point me toward a good source of information that describes exactly which issues that you refer to, and just how Airbus schemed to deceive certification authorities, customers, and pilots the way that Boeing did with MCAS. The A380 program encountered quite a number of setbacks, but I don't recall any design/engineering shenanigans that might be considered scandalous. A Google search using the terms Airbus, alpha floor, upset, and trigger point turned up nothing relevant, at least in the first two pages of search results.

Any links that might enlighten an interested observer would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know either control system. But just read the accident report on AF447 and the part about the two pilots putting opposite inputs into their side sticks and cancelling each other out kinda freaked me out. Doesn't seem like a sensible setup.

I don't know either control system. But just read the accident report on AF447 and the part about the two pilots putting opposite inputs into their side sticks and cancelling each other out kinda freaked me out. Doesn't seem like a sensible setup.
It has always impressed me that the size of an organization does not prevent it from forking up some very simple things. In some perverse way, the blinders get bigger.

i dont know the version of software in that plane, but in that situation now the plane will be saying "DUAL INPUT" also if one person holds the disconnect button down, it disables the other side stick.

Boeing (and their 767 control scheme) say hi.

On the 767 (and probably others as well), if the two pilots apply opposite pitch commands beyond a certain force, a pin will shear, allowing them to move independently. At that point, Captain's pitch input drives the LH side horizontal stabilizer, and the FO's drive the R/H side. No annunciation is provided in the cockpit when that happens. See Egypt Air 990.

On the 767 (and probably others as well), if the two pilots apply opposite pitch commands beyond a certain force, a pin will shear, allowing them to move independently. At that point, Captain's pitch input drives the LH side horizontal stabilizer, and the FO's drive the R/H side. No annunciation is provided in the cockpit when that happens. See Egypt Air 990.
Wonder what full opposite stabilizer deflections would do in cruise flight?

It's been a while, but my recollection is that it would cause a decent amount of roll at cruise speeds. Similar to about 25 degrees of inboard aileron deflection.

Wonder what full opposite stabilizer deflections would do in cruise flight?
In the case of Egypt Air 990, it caused them to crash and die. But according to the NTSB, that was a suicide, with the Co-Pilot and Captain fighting for the controls. Whereas with Air France 447, they were unaware they were cancelling each other out.

Whereas with Air France 447, they were unaware they were cancelling each other out.

Because of the chaotic situation. However, the plane was still telling them they were both using inputs on the controls at the same time. "Dual input" was heard several times on the CVR. By then it was too late anyhow.

This is what happened with the Atlas crash into trinity bay as well. CA and FO fighting over the controls.

Airbus has certainly engaged in plenty of bribery and corruption, but those sins, as I understand them, are related to selling airplanes and not designing and certificating them.
Wasn’t really referring to the bribe/corruption side as that is more of SOP on that side of the pond. But was nice to see Airbus get called out for a few nickels. Too bad they can’t catch their helicopter guys doing the same.
The A380 program encountered quite a number of setbacks, but I don't recall any design/engineering shenanigans that might be considered scandalous.
While I don’t know what you mean by “scandalous,” but I think having a yard full of A380 front and aft fuselage sections that can’t be assembled because the wiring was too short and had to be completely rewired as “scandalous.” Or maybe the loss of $33B from the 380 program could be considered scandalous since the entire design/production program was developed from mostly taxpayer fund loans with repayments based on delivery performance. No deliveries, no payments. Imagine the headlines if Boeing did that.;)
A Google search using the terms Airbus, alpha floor, upset, and trigger point turned up nothing relevant, at least in the first two pages of search results.
Definitely need to use the advance search functions with Google as it can be very “shallow” in its search and biases in the first 5-10 pages. Or perhaps go to the EASA website and search for reports? Most of the reports I saw and used were via specialized search engines.

However, 2 alpha floor incidents come to mind: one had the alpha floor trigger in cruise flight causing loss of 4000 ft before the crew caught it; and one where they were test flying a 320 and the alpha floor failed to engage and the crew lost control and crashed. I believe with that one the AOAs were compromised causing signal issues. Hmm, sounds similar to the Lion 610 flight?

Wasn’t really referring to the bribe/corruption side as that is more of SOP on that side of the pond. But was nice to see Airbus get called out for a few nickels. Too bad they can’t catch their helicopter guys doing the same.

While I don’t know what you mean by “scandalous,” but I think having a yard full of A380 front and aft fuselage sections that can’t be assembled because the wiring was too short and had to be completely rewired as “scandalous.” Or maybe the loss of $33B from the 380 program could be considered scandalous since the entire design/production program was developed from mostly taxpayer fund loans with repayments based on delivery performance. No deliveries, no payments. Imagine the headlines if Boeing did that.;)

Definitely need to use the advance search functions with Google as it can be very “shallow” in its search and biases in the first 5-10 pages. Or perhaps go to the EASA website and search for reports? Most of the reports I saw and used were via specialized search engines.

However, 2 alpha floor incidents come to mind: one had the alpha floor trigger in cruise flight causing loss of 4000 ft before the crew caught it; and one where they were test flying a 320 and the alpha floor failed to engage and the crew lost control and crashed. I believe with that one the AOAs were compromised causing signal issues. Hmm, sounds similar to the Lion 610 flight?
You alleged that Airbus has committed acts of malfeasance comparable to Boeing's MCAS scandal, and further, that Airbus aircraft were subject to some sort of alpha floor problem that was even more egregious than MCAS. I asked for specifics; you replied with generalities. I asked for links to reports/documents/findings that might support your claim that Airbus has committed acts of deceit equivalent to Boeing's MCAS debacle; you suggested that I learn how to use a search engine.

We agreee that the A380 program suffered some serious setbacks and was a financial failure. Yet, it does not appear that Airbus intentionally mislead customers and regulators regarding the design and certification of the aircraft.

You mention two incidents in which alpha floor protection may have been a causal factor, but you did not provide any specific reference to those incidents. Based on what you wrote, I'm guessing that you are referring to 1). a hull loss incurred during an acceptance test flight involving an A320 owned by Air New Zealand; and 2). possibly an upset involving an A320 that was mishandled during a momentary overspeed at F380, and was subsequently recovered to normal operation. If those are indeed the two "alpha floor incidents" that you referred to, alpha floor protection was not found to be a causal or contributing factor (if my memory is correct, which it rarely is).

You also claim that media coverage of Airbus' problems has been “controlled” to protect Airbus despite the company's misdeeds, whereas Boeing has been subjected to intense media scrutiny in the wake of the two MCAS accidents. You may be correct, but I have no way to verify that claim. However, you know the old adage regarding the news media: if it bleeds, it leads. So far, no A380 has crashed due to production issues or financial losses. No Airbus (that I'm aware of) has crashed due to a failure of alpha floor protection. Meanwhile, over at Boeing, there is a reckoning to be had for 346 fatalities. If it bleeds...

Wasn’t really referring to the bribe/corruption side as that is more of SOP on that side of the pond.

Yeah, no bribes or corruption when military contracts are awarded etc.
It's the same both sides of the pond and everywhere else too.

You alleged that Airbus has committed acts of malfeasance comparable to Boeing's MCAS scandal,
No ”allege” about it. I merely shared my personal experiences on the topic. Whether you believe those experiences or not is totally on you. And will I spend my time and effort to recreate “reports/documents/findings” given to me by others to convince you? Not hardly.

However, I did give you the basic premise of my point along with several examples to start your research into the matter, if it is important to you. But, yes, based on my years of researching aviation topics you will need to look beyond the first 2 pages on Google to get your "relevant" answers.
Meanwhile, over at Boeing, there is a reckoning to be had for 346 fatalities. If it bleeds...
Nor am I going to rehash the MCAS here. There are a number of threads on PoA where my opinion and views on the matter are well stated. But it's suffice to say, if your theory was correct, then the Lion flight should have crashed on the previous day. But it didn’t. And so on.

Back