Bob Hoover???

Have heard this too. Imagine all that he did and made it to 94 what a life. One of my greatest aviation moments watching him fly in 1991 (he was 69) smooth as butter.
BHfulton911_zpsas1cnt8t.jpg

BHfulton913_zpszd3uduvj.jpg

BHfulton912_zpsi8ykivto.jpg

Just heard this as well. A true aviation legend. RIP :(

I hope not! My favorite aviator. I have read his book at least ten times and it is just as good every time. I have great memories of seeing him fly and getting to meet him at Oshkosh when I was but a wee lad. Great person, great character, great life and a great ambassador for aviation. One of the last if not the last great American hero. The country would be a better place if there were more people like Bob for the kids to look up to and admire. May he rest in eternal peace and I for one will surely miss him.

All people die, some leave an impression on society while they are here.

Wish I could have met him.

WOW.. That's kind of a gut punch.. Sadly Yeager is getting up there in years too.

Dang. We all knew it had to happen sometime pretty soon, but it's still sad when it happens. What an extraordinary man and an extraordinary life. May he rest in peace.

Arnie & Bob this year. Two legends that will be greatly missed.

Bob getting it done in the OV-10.

I got a chance to shake his hand as a youngster, and help him push his yellow P-51 around at an early 80's airshow @ KPAE. A memory I will always cherish. What a Legengd!
R.I.P. Mr. Hoover

I enjoyed that he did his airshow flying in a suit and at least a tie.

Seems like the airshow pilots of today consider their most important piece of equipment is a mirror.

WOW.. That's kind of a gut punch.. Sadly Yeager is getting up there in years too.

Yeager's a mixed bag, and I'll leave it at that, lest I be tar and feathered for going against the social convention of senior-worshiping. To each their own.

Yeager's a mixed bag, and I'll leave it at that, lest I be tar and feathered for going against the social convention of senior-worshiping. To each their own.

I completely agree with this, however, we cannot look the other way to his contributions to aviation.

It's a sad day for the aviation community, Bob Hoover was a great pilot and a great performer. He made it to 94 and seemed to be in pretty good health for most of his life, which is all anyone us can ask for. He had a great run and made the most of his time on earth, well done Bob!

I enjoyed that he did his airshow flying in a suit and at least a tie.

Seems like the airshow pilots of today consider their most important piece of equipment is a mirror.

Bob switched to Nomex after he nearly burnt. There is an interview where he discussed making that decision.

The suit in the Shrike was mainly a gimmick because he was selling a business aircraft. The theory was all those businessmen would see themselves getting out of that airplane and if it could do an airshow like that, it could certainly fly them to Iowa to visit their vendor.

But Bob wasn't averse to wearing safety gear when it was called for.

As far as today's airshow pilots, depends on the pilot of course, but a lot of that image is just that, image. They're often fairly humble hard working folks under all that flash for the cameras. Count up the number of them who don't have a "day job" that actually pays the bills when not flying the airshow circuit. It isn't as glamorous as it might appear at first glance.

Back to Hoover... I found it interesting that a few folks have gone out and attempted what he could do in the Shrike at altitude in hopes of doing a "tribute" show or similar -- and so far, none have ever made it to the stage where they were willing (after attempting it up high and "safe" with a hairy eyeball on the altimeter and airspeed to see if they had reasonable margins) to apply for a low level waiver to do it.

That just speaks volumes about his smoothness and accuracy when his peers have given it a shot and said, "nope, I can't do that safely". And these are way better than average pilots.

I feel privileged to have known Bob Hoover for a long time.
He was good friends with my father.
He was a wonderful story teller and had a remarkable life in aviation.
He helped me to get my medical and was always very generous with his time and knowledge.
I don’t have the words to describe the loss I feel.

Several sites are reporting Bob Hoover has died....

I saw him perform when I was a kid at Oshkosh...he put on a fantastic show, and when he got out of the plane, I couldn't believe how old he was...that was in, like, 1980.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/10/bob-hoover-one-of-nations-greatest-pilots-dead-at-94/

o_O 1980 was 36 years ago so he would have only been 58 at the time. As someone who is 58, I can assure you that is not old.

I agree though that he did put on a fantastic show. I met him several years ago at TOA. By then he was old but still had a youthful twinkle in his eye. There are not too many people that I have ever been in awe of but he was one.

Back