Blue Angel crash

talk about coincidence!!

ATCS

wow not a good day

Yeah, they're saying one killed now. RIP.

And a TBird in CO after AFA Graduation flyover. Pilot eject and safe.

Goes to show even the safest, well trained, most disciplined pilots with the highest level of maintenance possible cant stop a crash.

Sad.

Damn sorry to hear that Tom. Saw the flooding in Lubbock earlier on Weather channel.

Yeah bad day,,, we just lost 6 troops at Ft Hood Tx. crossing a swollen creek. yeah bad day.
Been watching this story develop, so tragic. Now they're saying 3 soldiers rescued, 3 soldiers dead, 6 are still missing. We can only hope they find them safe.

Been watching this story develop, so tragic. Now they're saying 3 soldiers dead, 6 are still missing. We can only hope they find them safe.
hopefully.!

Blue Angels #6 is the same number that went down in the 2007 crash

Rumor has it, he rode it in to avoid ejecting and leaving it plowing through an apartment complex. Obviously speculation, but it's being put out there..

Rumor has it, he rode it in to avoid ejecting and leaving it plowing through an apartment complex. Obviously speculation, but it's being put out there..

Any time a pilot augers in without hitting houses/objects/etc. that's the same conclusion everyone comes to. However, it could've just been a coincidence.

Any time a pilot augers in without hitting houses/objects/etc. that's the same conclusion everyone comes to. However, it could've just been a coincidence.

Yes, that is a very common conclusion that the public and news comes to with these sort of accidents and I tend to believe it is rarely the truth. More than likely in these cases the pilot either thought he could save the airplane, thought he had more time or could not get out. But if someone wants to have such an optimistic outlook on things, let them. It does no harm and who knows, they could be right in some cases.

Yes, that is a very common conclusion that the public and news comes to with these sort of accidents and I tend to believe it is rarely the truth. More than likely in these cases the pilot either thought he could save the airplane, thought he had more time or could not get out. But if someone wants to have such an optimistic outlook on things, let them. It does no harm and who knows, they could be right in some cases.
Yeah, no disrespect to the pilot, he may well have decided to steer away from a populated area, but I agree that's rarely true. Even in the aviation community we say that though.

I had a friend who crashed and at his funeral, they said he turned at the last minute to avoid a house full of kids. Sounds nice, and he was a nice guy, but he was also turning toward his runway.

As someone who has been in two crashes, I can tell you your mind goes to saving your own bacon. If you avoid something, it's most likely because hitting it is going to hurt. It does sound good though...

Looks like the pilot did a good job,may he rest in peace.

RIP... What a horrible summer! I have seen the Blue Angels numerous times (and the Thunderbirds - my first airshow as a kid!), and I have tix to next weekend's show here in Syracuse. But I am extremely doubtful they will be performing now. Which sucks for several reasons, not the least of which is that this is the first show we've had in 10 years. I guess that sounds self-centered, not what I meant. Thoughts and prayers for Captain Jeff Kuss' family and the other BA Pilots...

Just came across this at my parents house. This is from my pops commissioning, seems fitting..

RIP Capt. Kuss..

61cfe373ccd16dd6503863bb3e1ff3f9.jpg

Updated video and cause of the accident.

Do YouTube publishers get paid by the minute? That was about 1 minute of content packed into 8 minutes of cheezy soundtrack.

As for the accident itself, blindingly obvious what happened. Too low and too fast into a Split S = accelerated stall on pullout. And no way he "rode it in to avoid an apartment complex." He had about 3 seconds to recognize he might not make it, and he spent that cranking on the stick trying to miss the ground.

The report was released in 2016, what's changed now?

As for the accident itself, blindingly obvious what happened. Too low and too fast into a Split S = accelerated stall on pullout. And no way he "rode it in to avoid an apartment complex." He had about 3 seconds to recognize he might not make it, and he spent that cranking on the stick trying to miss the ground.
According to the Navy report (issued in 2016, not on YouTube) he was below AOA for CLmax for the entire maneuver (so no stall), left the burners plugged from the start of the maneuver to impact, and initiated ejection far out of the ejection envelope just prior to impact. It doesn't read at all like an accelerated stall, it reads like (and is attributed to) loss of SA, out of parameters, and way too much energy with the nose buried.

Nauga,
who likes his energy maneuverable

What does CLmax mean in this context?
Maximum lift coefficient and therefore below what passes for stall in the Hornet.

Nauga,
and a freight train over the canopy

Yes, I know the report has already been released. I attached the vid because the footage of the accident with audio had not been released yet.
Thanks. I read 'updated video and cause' as updated video and updated cause.

Nauga,
misparsed

Yes, I know the report has already been released. I attached the vid because the footage of the accident with audio had not been released yet.
Turned the audio off and read the report as it scrolled. Noted the rescueman standing in the area with a sad expression on his face. Nobody to rescue.

Brought to mind that old demon wolf, lurking at the edge of the herd looking to pick off the weakest. Worse for single pilot ops. And especially when it’s “show time”.

The report was released in 2016, what's changed now?

According to the Navy report (issued in 2016, not on YouTube) he was below AOA for CLmax for the entire maneuver (so no stall), left the burners plugged from the start of the maneuver to impact, and initiated ejection far out of the ejection envelope just prior to impact. It doesn't read at all like an accelerated stall, it reads like (and is attributed to) loss of SA, out of parameters, and way too much energy with the nose buried.

Nauga,
who likes his energy maneuverable

Last edited:
I guess you really have to know your stuff.

It was simply a brain fart that’s a term we affectionately give it to such a situation. There was a cloud deck involved. He had a distraction. He initiated the half roll to inverted too low to fast and with the AB engaged.
If you're referring to the BA Hornet mishap your assessment differs significantly from the (publicly available) JAGMAN report. Do you disagree with the conclusions in that report?

Nauga,
and everything but the "TUMBLEWEED" call

Back