Blacks in Aviation

Nut Tree Airport is in Vacaville and Duncan opens up his hangars every Sunday. He has a bunch of historic planes and he is there, with a bunch of his friends, to greet people. Definately a great mission for a Sunday flight.
I remember when Nut Tree was my favorite lunch destination but I believe the restaurant has been closed for a long time. Glad to see there is still something going on there.

Nut Tree Airport is in Vacaville and Duncan opens up his hangars every Sunday. He has a bunch of historic planes and he is there, with a bunch of his friends, to greet people. Definately a great mission for a Sunday flight.

I'm sorry - wasn't the pilot named "Jim Warren"? Who is Duncan?

On this note, Redtail - if you ever find yourself at SFO - for business, vacation, or whatever - and I find most do at some point in their lives - send me a PM and I would love to take you for a flight. Just went tonight (spur of the moment after a checkout in a new aircraft) and I will NEVER tire of the beauty of flying over the Golden Gate Bridge, the coast line, downtown, Alcatraz, etc. In this 180hp beast it only took 1.2 hours and believe me we took our time! We even landed at an extra airport "just because I felt like it." So you and I (and your wife) could easily do the whole thing in an hour or less.

Thanks Kimberly, I would love to see the Golden Gate in real life! I'll definately keep that in mind if i ever make it to the west coast...lol. My only flights in that area have been on MSFS & Flight Unlimted II(used to love that one). I'm sure it's a beautiful scenic flight. I have a sister that moved to LA a few years ago but I've never been out there.

I fly around Manhattan a lot and love the view. So many tour helicopters down low in the Class B exclusion so I request the "Skyline Route" in Class-B with La Guadia tower. They usually keep me between 1500 & 2000 over the Hudson & East rivers. Just before reaching the lady(Statue of Liberty), they hand me off to Newark tower who handles that section of the route. It's my favorite scenic/leisure flight:). If you ever visit NYC let me know, you wouldn't want to go back home without seeing Manhattan from a bird's eye view. Crossing over Central park from the East River back out to the Hudson is one of the most memorable sights I've ever had!!!

Did you get checked out in a 180hp Skyhawk? That's what I fly now. I sure notice the difference an extra 20hp makes on takeoff:lol: But I've only ever flown 160hp Skyhawks before. In your case, coming from a 150, the extra power must feel like a jet:rofl:

Last edited:
Thanks Kimberly, I would love to see the Golden Gate in real life! I'll definately keep that in mind if i ever make it to the west coast...lol. My only flights in that area have been on MSFS & Flight Unlimted II(used to love that one). I'm sure it's a beautiful scenic flight. I have a sister that moved to LA a few years ago but I've never been out there.

I fly around Manhattan a lot and love the view. So many tour helicopters down low in the Class B exclusion so I request the "Skyline Route" in Class-B with La Guadia tower. They usually keep me between 1500 & 2000 over the Hudson & East rivers. Just before reaching the lady(Statue of Liberty), they hand me off to Newark tower who handles that section of the route. It's my favorite scenic/leisure flight:). If you ever visit NYC let me know, you wouldn't want to go back home without seeing Manhattan from a bird's eye view. Crossing over Central park from the East River back out to the Hudson is one of the most memorable sights I've ever had!!!

Did you get checked out in a 180hp Skyhawk? That's what I fly now. I sure notice the difference an extra 20hp makes on takeoff:lol: But I've only ever flown 160hp Skyhawks before. In your case, coming from a 150, the extra power must feel like a jet:rofl:

Count me in for this one too! And hes right Kimberly. I was lucky enough to get vectors over Times Square one night in a 172 at 3000. Ill never froget that! You'll also want to take a ride up the Hudson River Valley.

yeah that's true. well if I ever get re-married, one of my requirements will be she must love aviation:lol:

My lady loves flying. The first time I took her up I told her the night before that we would be going along the beach so she went down there before she met me at the airport and wrote me a message in the sand. Among other flights we went on she came on a Cloud Nine mission with me and is extremely supportive of my career. And shes gorgeous too! Im a lucky man!

My lady loves flying. The first time I took her up I told her the night before that we would be going along the beach so she went down there before she met me at the airport and wrote me a message in the sand. Among other flights we went on she came on a Cloud Nine mission with me and is extremely supportive of my career. And shes gorgeous too! Im a lucky man!

yes you are:).
Hudson Valley, yes. You just reminded me that I need to do that again. I've only gone up to Stewart a couple of times from KTEB but that was years ago. How far up did you go? and what's a Cloud Nine mission?

Last edited:
yes you are:).
Hudson Valley, yes. You just reminded me that I need to do that again. I've only gone up to Stewart a couple of times from KTEB but that was years ago. How far up did you go?

I used to take it up tp ALB. Where in TEB did you do your training? I did mine at Millionair. My first solo x country was to Stewart. My instructor told me that if i couldn't find that big slab of concrete that i shouldn't be flying. One of my favorite places is Piseco. It's in the middle of nowhere about 100nm north of ALB. Nobody around for miles. The controllers don't even know of it too well.

I used to take it up tp ALB. Where in TEB did you do your training? I did mine at Millionair. My first solo x country was to Stewart. My instructor told me that if i couldn't find that big slab of concrete that i shouldn't be flying. One of my favorite places is Piseco. It's in the middle of nowhere about 100nm north of ALB. Nobody around for miles. The controllers don't even know of it too well.

Dude! We have to get together! I did my training at Millionair also... 1998. My first CFI was a kid ten years younger than I, he was 23. His name was Josh. He was the guy I levitated on my first stall recovery when I agressively pushed both yoke & throttle to the firewall:lol:.

My first solo XC was to KPNE (North East Philadelphia). We flew into Stewart a couple of times and I'll never forget how impressed I was at the size of the main runway! I had never seen anything like that before from the cockpit of my little Skyhawk.

Last edited:
Plus, she's a really nice lady, Grant. Sometimes, we guys get lucky.

And, having met her mom at OSH, you have to believe you'll get old a lot sooner than she, too (a curse we share - my wife Grandmother's 105th birthday is in a couple of weeks).

(Aside: that night at OSH was one of the pleasantest evenings, ever)
I admit, I totally lucked out, and, on top of that, it's really nice having a MIL I can really get along with, and who's "hot", too! :^) She and I closed down a bar in Key West while Leslie was back in the motel "worrying" about us! LOL!

And your G'Ma is GREAT! I know she was still driving just a few years ago. Is she still driving?

I think the best pilots are of a "bookish" nature.

I read. (I dunno if I would really count as one of the BEST though, maybe in trainer-type piston singles... I can Lazy-8 and Steep Spiral like a boss..)

<---<^>--->

I admit, I totally lucked out, and, on top of that, it's really nice having a MIL I can really get along with, and who's "hot", too! :^) She and I closed down a bar in Key West while Leslie was back in the motel "worrying" about us! LOL!

You have the absolute best in-laws of anyone I know.

How many of these guys in aviation?

Attachments

• bele and loki.jpg
    bele and loki.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 5
Back