Blacks in Aviation

I was thinking from a top down approach reaching out to populations that might have the brains, guts, and dollars to be pilots but expend their energy elsewhere. Your right though, the first thought that come to mind from the word role-model shouldn't be some celebrity. [Prays to John Travolta for forgiveness] ;)

<---<^>--->
Continuing that top down appraoch, what of Bill Cosby? He is educated and well known. And he is a member of the class. But he is less respected amongst certain groups. I just don't know what to make of that other than to think, Is adherence to the problem more beneficial than heeding the advice of this man?

I'm just an outsider looking in.

Continuing that top down appraoch, what of Bill Cosby? He is educated and well known. And he is a member of the class. But he is less respected amongst certain groups. I just don't know what to make of that other than to think, Is adherence to the problem more beneficial than heeding the advice of this man?

Why is it so surprising that "the group" does not have one mind and that there are differences of opinion between members? I could say, "Men all think alike," or even narrow it down to, "All white men think alike." But we know just from POA that it is not true. :rofl:

Who were their role models? Maybe instead of looking to celebrities one should find their role models in the man playing catch with his kids, or the man a few doors down, or the woman at work, or the kid at the FBO from the broken home.
Heck, I'm not looking for any exemplary role models out there, just someone that a young person may know and be able to say "yeah, my friend Jenny's mom is a pilot" or "Uncle Jerome talked about how he flies at the last family reunion!" So I think we're in agreement there. Yeah, someone "famous" can impact a greater number of people due to their visibility. I think it's more impactful, though, if it's someone that you can relate to, like a friend or relative.

Can anyone relate to Morgan Freeman?

Haha. That reminds me of this...

4b94241c-2263-83e5.jpg

Bill Cosby is the man. He has a nice Pilatus with "Billy" enscribed on the tail. Comes into KHFD on occasion.

<---<^>--->

Hi, Grant. Thanks for your comments. But let's back up. WHY is xxxx even important? Is it that unusual for an individual to stand up and declare to kith and kin and the whole world, This is what I am doing!
Important to whom?

Using aviation as the obvious case example, it's important to those of us on this board and those already in aviation because either we've discovered a passion for it (and who can say why that is) or because we've chosen to make it a career. And many of us do proclaim that passion loudly. Many of us got into it not by watching a movie or reading a book, but because someone we knew was already involved in it. And if it was because of a book or movie, describe the pilot therein. I will lay significant odds that it was a white male. If I recall the statistics from one of the links I posted earlier, that accounts for 92% of pilots today!

For many of those groups underrepresented in aviation (blacks, hispanics, women, asians, native americans, et al), I contend that it has little mindshare within the group, so people in those groups don't even think about wanting to be in aviation. They never had someone describe to them what flight is like, or offer to take them up for a ride. There is no exposure!

Now, clearly exposure is not sufficient to turn someone onto aviation, but I think it is a prerequisite.

I really don't think that the question of blacks in aviation is any different than the other groups I mentioned with the slight exception of white females, who at least may have had a friend or family member who flew and told them about it.

Are there exceptions to these admitted stereotypes? You bet there are. I'm married to one, though, growing up on air force bases, she was at least regularly exposed to aviation.

Important to whom?

Using aviation as the obvious case example, it's important to those of us on this board and those already in aviation because either we've discovered a passion for it (and who can say why that is) or because we've chosen to make it a career. And many of us do proclaim that passion loudly. Many of us got into it not by watching a movie or reading a book, but because someone we knew was already involved in it. And if it was because of a book or movie, describe the pilot therein. I will lay significant odds that it was a white male. If I recall the statistics from one of the links I posted earlier, that accounts for 92% of pilots today!

For many of those groups underrepresented in aviation (blacks, hispanics, women, asians, native americans, et al), I contend that it has little mindshare within the group, so people in those groups don't even think about wanting to be in aviation. They never had someone describe to them what flight is like, or offer to take them up for a ride. There is no exposure!

Now, clearly exposure is not sufficient to turn someone onto aviation, but I think it is a prerequisite.

I really don't think that the question of blacks in aviation is any different than the other groups I mentioned with the slight exception of white females, who at least may have had a friend or family member who flew and told them about it.

Are there exceptions to these admitted stereotypes? You bet there are. I'm married to one, though, growing up on air force bases, she was at least regularly exposed to aviation.

I agree with this especially the statement on exposure to aviation. I grew up in the city of Newark,NJ in the 70's/80's and had absolutely zero exposure to GA until I started taking lessons at age 33 (1998). I had a burning desire to fly an airplane from the very first time I saw them in the sky! I was fortunate enough to have a father that would take me and my siblings down to Newark airport on occasion to watch the planes. There were no youth aviation programs back then that we knew of. Dad felt really bad that he couldn't afford to send me to flight school but he always encouraged me and told me that I could do it. So I just played with all the toy and paper airplanes that I could get my hands on and even made a few. (couldn't afford RC either...lol). Read aviation books/magazines and at the age of 16, bought my very first computer, a Commodore-64.
Got MS-FlightSim and I was in heaven:goofy:
As far as role models and encouragement, there was my dad(who knew nothing about aviation) and myself. That's it. My desire to become a pilot was strong and sufficient. Would have been nice to have friends, family and other blacks in general involved (even now) but overall, it didn't really matter that much to me.
Sure wish Dad were alive when I finally did it:sad:

Last edited:
Total self starter, and I had no clue that I could move forward until I had a long talk with a colleague who was a pilot. You just can't underestimate the importance of such interactions.

I agree with this especially the statement on exposure to aviation. I grew up in the city of Newark,NJ in the 70's/80's and had absolutely zero exposure to GA until I started taking lessons at age 33 (1998). I had a burning desire to fly an airplane from the very first time I saw them in the sky! I was fortunate enough to have a father that would take me and my siblings down to Newark airport on occasion to watch the planes. There were no youth aviation programs back then that we knew of. Dad felt really bad that he couldn't afford to send me to flight school but he always encouraged me and told me that I could do it. So I just played with all the toy and paper airplanes that I could get my hands on and even made a few. (couldn't afford RC either...lol). Read aviation books/magazines and at the age of 16, bought my very first computer, a Commodore-64.
Got MS-FlightSim and I was in heaven:goofy:
As far as role models and encouragement, there was my dad(who knew nothing about aviation) and myself. That's it. My desire to become a pilot was strong and sufficient. Would have been nice to have friends, family and other blacks in general involved (even now) but overall, it didn't really matter that much to me.
Sure wish Dad were alive when I finally did it:sad:

You are setting a great example for your family and others. Black, white, etc. You are an aviator first, paper airplanes and all. Your dad would be proud. ;)

I made tons of paper airplanes and would throw them out the second story window of our house. I used to make powered airplanes with rubber bands. The rich kids had store both ones. Graduated to rockets and other IEDs after I started working at the age of 12. ;)

Last edited:
I agree with this especially the statement on exposure to aviation. I grew up in the city of Newark,NJ in the 70's/80's and had absolutely zero exposure to GA until I started taking lessons at age 33 (1998). I had a burning desire to fly an airplane from the very first time I saw them in the sky! I was fortunate enough to have a father that would take me and my siblings down to Newark airport on occasion to watch the planes.
I grew up about 15 miles from Newark Airport in the 1960s and 70s. Geographically the neighborhood was positioned to that airplanes often went directly overhead. I remember my dad pointing them out to me as a little kid. He was interested in airplanes and I think he wanted to learn although he never did. I didn't really start thinking about taking lessons until late in HS and ended up taking them in college. I didn't know any other pilots personally, GA or otherwise. Even when I started I didn't know what would come of it as it was just something to try. My CFI (who was a white guy) encouraged me to go on with it but I just shrugged and laughed. Who knew?

I am a caucasian male. Not being black I cannot say I know what it is to be black, no matter how many black friends I have, no matter how many intelligent discussions we have, no matter how well I listen. The same can be said for women issues. But being a human being I can say what that's like. I can say I understand we all have issues and we need to get past them. What it takes for an individual or a group of individuals with a shared background to get past there burdens is for them to decide. I think by holding on to such a thing, by making it part of tradition, by institutionalizing it, such a person has developed an affinity for that thing. If it is not in their best interest why hang on to it?

Even if you can't fully understand, I think the fact that you are listening goes a long way. It's what's missing a lot of the time. I will never be a woman, (unless something REALLY crazy happens) but if I want to see things from a woman's perspective, I won't go to one of my guy friends. I blame the media for much of the confusion and misunderstanding going around. I remember the first picture I saw of a sunny day in Russia. During the Cold War there was so much propaganda about that it took me by surprise because I had never seen that before. Then after thinking about it for a second it made sense that the sun shines there too. I had just never seen it. The same goes for the first beautiful Russian woman I saw. Now if I had traveled there or had Russian friends as a kid, this would have been different.

Growing up I attended several different schools. I did my high school years in an inner city, 90% black high school in an area of low socioeconomic demographics. I'm not black, but it's fair to say I have had exposure to the conditions that face inner city black kids and I understand the mentality.

Among my friends and other students at the high school, who were obviously almost all black, very few had a technical field like engineering or science as a career goal, and probably none even considered aviation (which I consider a related technical field.) Typically, the relatively small percentage of kids that had the means and went in to further education from this high school typically pursued sports or education fields. They envisioned themselves as a great sports star, or MLK type educator when they achieved their career goals.

I think lack of exposure to aviation (and engineering) is part of it but not all of it. They were aware of pilots, engineer and scientists, but the predominant attitude was "why would anyone want to do that" vs. "those fields are too tough for me but they sound cool."

What do we need to correct the situation? Does it really need "correction?" Interest is interest. People that are strongly interested in aviation will find a way to get in to it one way or the other. Same with engineering and science.

I grew up about 15 miles from Newark Airport in the 1960s and 70s. Geographically the neighborhood was positioned to that airplanes often went directly overhead. I remember my dad pointing them out to me as a little kid. He was interested in airplanes and I think he wanted to learn although he never did. I didn't really start thinking about taking lessons until late in HS and ended up taking them in college. I didn't know any other pilots personally, GA or otherwise. Even when I started I didn't know what would come of it as it was just something to try. My CFI (who was a white guy) encouraged me to go on with it but I just shrugged and laughed. Who knew?

That's awesome! wow, we grew up in the same general area. Do you ever visit? I fly out of Republic now,on Long Island. If you come up, give a shout. I enjoy meeting other pilots.

You are setting a great example for your family and others. Black, white, etc. You are an aviator first, paper airplanes and all. Your dad would be proud. ;)

I made tons of paper airplanes and would throw them out the second story window of our house. I used to make powered airplanes with rubber bands. The rich kids had store both ones. Graduated to rockets and other IEDs after I started working at the age of 12. ;)

Thanks. Yes paper and Styrofoam from the meat packaging:)
My brother and I used to go to the 5 & dime store and buy the rubber band ones, we loved those things! I guess we were rich afterall:D

BTW, here is Greg Brown's blog entry. It has a link to the article I mentioned earlier.

Where are the minority pilots?

“Black people don’t fly.” That’s what DeAndre Jamison heard, when as a little boy he inquired about becoming a pilot.

Growing up I attended several different schools. I did my high school years in an inner city, 90% black high school in an area of low socioeconomic demographics. I'm not black, but it's fair to say I have had exposure to the conditions that face inner city black kids and I understand the mentality.

Among my friends and other students at the high school, who were obviously almost all black, very few had a technical field like engineering or science as a career goal, and probably none even considered aviation (which I consider a related technical field.) Typically, the relatively small percentage of kids that had the means and went in to further education from this high school typically pursued sports or education fields. They envisioned themselves as a great sports star, or MLK type educator when they achieved their career goals.

I think lack of exposure to aviation (and engineering) is part of it but not all of it. They were aware of pilots, engineer and scientists, but the predominant attitude was "why would anyone want to do that" vs. "those fields are too tough for me but they sound cool."

What do we need to correct the situation? Does it really need "correction?" Interest is interest. People that are strongly interested in aviation will find a way to get in to it one way or the other. Same with engineering and science.

You make some really good points. I guess I was just strange & different:lol:
My entire life I could care less about sports. Don't know the difference between a touchdown and a (what do you call it in basketball?). That's probably part of the reason I was a loner as a kid (still am, pretty much). I was in my lab(attic) building electronic kits, shortwave radios(picking up Radio Moscow, the BBC from London, Canada, South America, etc), playing with anything that I could make fly, and reading all things aviation. Got a computer and my world opened even more. Started learning to program (in BASIC), etc. Like you said, Interest is interest. I do think that exposing inner city kids to aviation and other forms of science and engineering would go a long way toward making a better society. If all they see are successful ball players and rappers, many of them will think that's their ticket to success. So although I saw no black role models, I was fortunate enough to have been self motivated to achieve my goals.

I think lack of exposure to aviation (and engineering) is part of it but not all of it. They were aware of pilots, engineer and scientists, but the predominant attitude was &quot;why would anyone want to do that&quot; vs. &quot;those fields are too tough for me but they sound cool.&quot;

What do we need to correct the situation? Does it really need &quot;correction?&quot; Interest is interest. People that are strongly interested in aviation will find a way to get in to it one way or the other. Same with engineering and science.

Much like redtail I too was strange and different. At 39 I still engage in activities that make people think I'm strange. :) I was set in my ways of becoming a pilot at a very early age. I don't even know when or where I was first impressed by it. For all I know I always was born that way. This has been both a curse and a blessing. There are many people my age who still don't have any idea what makes them happy where as I always knew. The down side was that this was the only option for me. Do or die. Maybe if I didn't have that I would have been more influenced by others. A lot of inner city kids see sports as a way out and teaching as a way to make a difference in the community. While there are many successful African American business men and women, it isn't nearly as highly publicized. As you said, many inner city kids don't have the resources for further education, so sports is a means to obtaining that There is a saying in Kenya which is known for its runners. "How do you get out of Kenya? You run". I think it's a matter of exposure.

Last edited:
That's awesome! wow, we grew up in the same general area. Do you ever visit? I fly out of Republic now,on Long Island. If you come up, give a shout. I enjoy meeting other pilots.
I moved away from NJ right after HS and I lost touch with everyone there, although I did go to a HS reunion a couple years ago. Of course no one suspected that I would become a pilot. I think they thought of me as more the bookish type back then. We occasionally get out to the east on trips (although I've never been to Republic) so I'll keep you in mind!

I don't really have any theories but I'll admit one thing. In my experience with friends and family, I haven't found many blacks that are interested in aviation. They admire me for pursuing my dream but that's about it. I'm kind of an oddball around them when I start talking aviation and trying to get them interested. Frustrating at times. For the most part, I find myself flying solo.

I know for myself, the only thing that held me back so long was the expense. I make a decent living as an electrician/technician so I have a little money to fly but it took me awhile to get there. I didn't start lessons until I was 33, got my certificate a year later.

So I'd say lack of interest and lack of money are the top two reasons.

That's too bad. I thought I'd be flying solo a lot too but people have come out of the woodwork. One of the very first people I invited (actually I wanted him to be my first passenger) was a friend of mine who happens to be black but he wasn't free for several months. After over a year now posting to Facebook etc about flying and photos and what not, he just left a comment on my page "OK OK I'll fly with you!" when last year he was nervous in texts with things like "Don't kill us." I think lots of people, regardless of race, react to how you approach things. For example, instead of pilot talk, if you mention to them you can go somewhere farther than a car can take you, or you can sight see, they might be interested. All my friends and family for the most part hate my pilotey talk so I have to tailor it to my audience.

Ah I think you see her at the breakfast table every morning.:wink2:

On this board we have your lovely wife and Red Tail. Where I learned to fly at PNE there was a black pilots group that used to use one of the meeting rooms at the FBO. I took my neighbor who is black to my flight school for an intro flight. He liked it a lot but had two kids in private school and was just about to put one into college so he never went forward with lessons.

Who knows I guess its just ago old button holing. Same reason that until the late 80s men weren't in nursing perhaps. Lord knows we can use some boost to the pilot population so I'd hope that folks like Leslie and Red Tail and others would inspire black aviators.

Then again its all in the passion because I've never met a pilot who did't always dream of flying.

I never once thought of aircraft until last January and rarely travelled or went on commercial airliners. Literally. Then I bought a plane ride after watching a TV show and I was hooked. Nothing like it on Earth.

That's too bad. I thought I'd be flying solo a lot too but people have come out of the woodwork. One of the very first people I invited (actually I wanted him to be my first passenger) was a friend of mine who happens to be black but he wasn't free for several months. After over a year now posting to Facebook etc about flying and photos and what not, he just left a comment on my page "OK OK I'll fly with you!" when last year he was nervous in texts with things like "Don't kill us." I think lots of people, regardless of race, react to how you approach things. For example, instead of pilot talk, if you mention to them you can go somewhere farther than a car can take you, or you can sight see, they might be interested. All my friends and family for the most part hate my pilotey talk so I have to tailor it to my audience.

:lol: good point. I have been known to be a little obsessive in my passion and pilot talk with non-pilots. Wife says she thinks I have Asperger syndrome:confused:

"People with Asperger syndrome often display behavior, interests, and activities that are restricted and repetitive and are sometimes abnormally intense or focused. They may stick to inflexible routines, move in stereotyped and repetitive ways, or preoccupy themselves with parts of objects.
Pursuit of specific and narrow areas of interest is one of the most striking features of AS"

oh well:rofl:

Last edited:
Bill Cosby is the man. He has a nice Pilatus with "Billy" enscribed on the tail. Comes into KHFD on occasion.

<---<^>--->
But he isn't the pilot. He hires pilots, at least according to this article:
http://www.themaineedge.com/content/20332/Laughing_is_a_beautiful_look/ said:
It seems like he has a good relationship with air travel, from his pilots ("I tell them 'You fly, I do the jokes. I don't fly, you don't do the jokes.') to the freedom it affords him ("I just really enjoy being able to manage my time.").

:lol: good point. I have been known to be a little obsessive in my passion and pilot talk with non-pilots. Wife says she thinks I have Asperger syndrome:confused:

"People with Asperger syndrome often display behavior, interests, and activities that are restricted and repetitive and are sometimes abnormally intense or focused. They may stick to inflexible routines, move in stereotyped and repetitive ways, or preoccupy themselves with parts of objects.
Pursuit of specific and narrow areas of interest is one of the most striking features of AS"

oh well:rofl:

If that was true, a lot of us would be defined as having it. Again, it is all about your audience! Too bad your wife doesn't enjoy aviation like you do, though I hear that is a common problem shared with many of your fellow married male pilots.

If that was true, a lot of us would be defined as having it. Again, it is all about your audience! Too bad your wife doesn't enjoy aviation like you do, though I hear that is a common problem shared with many of your fellow married male pilots.
All I can say is that I'm very lucky being married to someone who fits into SO MANY minority categories:

• African-American/Native-American (.02 of pilots)
  • Female (.06 of pilots)
  • Private Pilot (about 600,000 total)
  • Instrument Rated (???)
When you think about it, the total number of people matching that description is way less than 500 in the US! In fact, the total number of African American female pilots in the US of any rating is about 720. And that's VERY sad.

Based on US statistics, there are almost 2 million African-American women 18 years of age or older. And about 720 of them are pilots of any sort (600,000 (pilot population)*.06 (pct female pilots)*.02 (pct Black pilots)=720). There is something wrong here. That is, for statistical purposes, ZERO!

Last edited:

yeah that's true. well if I ever get re-married, one of my requirements will be she must love aviation:lol:

yeah that's true. well if I ever get re-married, one of my requirements will be she must love aviation:lol:
Red tail you might single for a long time! If you ever get to Michigan look me up always enjoy meeting other pilots and we have a Great FBO run by a Russian, kind of a mixing pot of people at his FBO and I love hanging out there. Everyone is smiling and talking aviation.

Mike

Sounds like a good plan - you won't get flak about buying pilot gear and toys, just be ready to share them :D

Red tail you might single for a long time! If you ever get to Michigan look me up always enjoy meeting other pilots and we have a Great FBO run by a Russian, kind of a mixing pot of people at his FBO and I love hanging out there. Everyone is smiling and talking aviation.

Mike

sounds good, I'll keep that in mind if I ever come back to Michigan. I was in Detroit over 20 years ago for a convention(non-aviation).

I just got invited to take part in a career fair. A chance to spread the word.

All interesting comments. Looks like I’m a little late to the conversation, but better late than never ....

I think putting down that ‘crap’ about slavery would be a wonderful idea – unfortunately, it takes two to tango, and the other party doesn’t seem to be willing to dance just yet….When you look at the media in this country (haven’t explored the media elsewhere, so can’t speak to that), it’s interesting how the black angle is what’s so newsworthy, so unique, so ‘wow – I didn’t know they could do that!!’
All the hoopla over Tiger Woods breaking barriers in golf because he was black? Um, technically, he’s just as much asian as black…. But that doesn’t make the news...
Barack Obama – the nation’s first black president! Um, technically, you could also say he’s the nation’s 44th white president too…. But that doesn’t make the news….
George Lucas on interviews, talking about how he had to put up so much of his money to make Red Tails because the major studios didn’t want to gamble on a movie with an all-black cast….. gotta wonder when’s the last time somebody told George ‘No’ when he came knocking with a movie idea.

While slavery technically ended many years ago, seems like we, as a nation still have a hangover. ( I say that being at least 5th generation in this country myself; my Native American ancestors were, of course, native :D)

When it comes to aviation, I will agree that what keeps you progressing to become a pilot is passion, discipline and money. But it’s a lot harder to get started if you have near-zero visibility on any role models, and your family’s experience with aviation has been an exclusionary, or at best, uncomfortable one. Why spend your money (or your parent’s money, if you started younger; and now you’re dealing with not just your perceptions, but theirs too) and free time in a place where people’s actions and eyes say “you don’t belong here” when you walk on to the ramp for your preflight?

Wish I could say that those experiences are all in past history, but when Grant and I are flying x-country, and we both exit the airplane, that air still exists in some places; I see it both in being black and in being female. Changing those experiences and attitudes, as well as making sure prospective pilots can see that flying is an achievable dream for everyone, will go a long way towards increasing the pilot population overall.

Well written Leslie

Current Generation Germans are not responsible for the Holocaust, yet they are paying reparations. There are taxpayer funded Holocaust museums in several major cities in America, yet America fought against German brutality. See the inequality in the illustration?

With all due respect not a great comparison.

Even if you can't fully understand, I think the fact that you are listening goes a long way. It's what's missing a lot of the time. I will never be a woman, (unless something REALLY crazy happens) but if I want to see things from a woman's perspective, I won't go to one of my guy friends. I blame the media for much of the confusion and misunderstanding going around. I remember the first picture I saw of a sunny day in Russia. During the Cold War there was so much propaganda about that it took me by surprise because I had never seen that before. Then after thinking about it for a second it made sense that the sun shines there too. I had just never seen it. The same goes for the first beautiful Russian woman I saw. Now if I had traveled there or had Russian friends as a kid, this would have been different.

Great example I recall the same exact thoughts about Russia and great call on the media perpetuation.

All I can say is that I'm very lucky being married to someone who fits into SO MANY minority categories:

• African-American/Native-American (.02 of pilots)
  • Female (.06 of pilots)
  • Private Pilot (about 600,000 total)
  • Instrument Rated (???)
When you think about it, the total number of people matching that description is way less than 500 in the US! In fact, the total number of African American female pilots in the US of any rating is about 720. And that's VERY sad.

Based on US statistics, there are almost 2 million African-American women 18 years of age or older. And about 720 of them are pilots of any sort (600,000 (pilot population)*.06 (pct female pilots)*.02 (pct Black pilots)=720). There is something wrong here. That is, for statistical purposes, ZERO!

Plus, she's a really nice lady, Grant. Sometimes, we guys get lucky.

And, having met her mom at OSH, you have to believe you'll get old a lot sooner than she, too (a curse we share - my wife Grandmother's 105th birthday is in a couple of weeks).

(Aside: that night at OSH was one of the pleasantest evenings, ever)

Mike

On this note, Redtail - if you ever find yourself at SFO - for business, vacation, or whatever - and I find most do at some point in their lives - send me a PM and I would love to take you for a flight. Just went tonight (spur of the moment after a checkout in a new aircraft) and I will NEVER tire of the beauty of flying over the Golden Gate Bridge, the coast line, downtown, Alcatraz, etc. In this 180hp beast it only took 1.2 hours and believe me we took our time! We even landed at an extra airport "just because I felt like it." So you and I (and your wife) could easily do the whole thing in an hour or less.

If you can get me in touch with him I could do it for you. Vacaville is only a few hours drive away.
Nut Tree Airport is in Vacaville and Duncan opens up his hangars every Sunday. He has a bunch of historic planes and he is there, with a bunch of his friends, to greet people. Definately a great mission for a Sunday flight.

Back