Bill Elliott's Lancair IV Turboprop for Sale

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
I'm told it has about 400 hours on it.

I'm told it's priced at about $450,000.

Reason for selling: He bought another one.

It's sitting at LaFayette, GA.

There...now you know as much as I do.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That hidden tail number is N746LG...IIRC.

Attachments

• IMG_20151013_111505428.jpg
    IMG_20151013_111505428.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_20151013_111525273.jpg
    IMG_20151013_111525273.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 482
I've beat myself up silly over maybe getting a Glasair II taildragger.

Something about twice as fast as the skywagon.

I'll bet this one for sale is a screaming eagle. New York to LA in a relatively easy day. That turbine fuel burn though ... that's a real kick in the nads. If you gotta ask, you can't afford it.

Is that 200MPH plastic wrapping the plane?

I take it you're at Gann aviation? He's got some good toys in his hanger. Met Bill up here before as well. Just flew in on his CJ. Super nice guy.

You just found the new engine for your classic 182, Tim. Just install a tow hook and cable release!

A Lancair was sitting on the ramp at DTO yesterday... Boy they look like speed demons.

I take it its at least pressurized, still doesn't look like it is FIKI which really clips its wings, seems like a fun conversation / ramp appeal piece.

If you want to go that route, you can get a turbine thunder mustang for 300k, or if you want function a turbine conversion pressurized FIKI 210.

Last edited:
Too fast for me,need time to think things over when flying.

That's a turbine. Probably the Walter 750. My brother has one and they definitely ARE speed demons.

Why would someone make a machine like that and not have FIKI?

I hear even a coating of _bugs_ on the wing of a IV-P makes it fly poorly....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take it you're at Gann aviation? He's got some good toys in his hanger.

Really? :goofy:

And that ain't nearly all of 'em...hell he's got at least three hangars full of toys!

Attachments

• IMG_4966.jpg
    IMG_4966.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4969.jpg
    IMG_4969.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4967.jpg
    IMG_4967.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4973.jpg
    IMG_4973.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4963.jpg
    IMG_4963.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4964.jpg
    IMG_4964.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 83
:D He's got a nice Bo too. At least he used to.

Really? :goofy:

And that ain't nearly all of 'em...hell he's got at least three hangars full of toys!

Yep, very nice man. Flew his EMB-120 Brasilia years ago (1998) out of his private strip that he had for another race team he and Dan Marino owned. One flight I let Bill fly (I know his plane) it and he did great. I think at the time he had a helicopter, a Citation, C421, maybe a C182, maybe an Extra 300, and a few others I'm sure. It was cool checking out his race shop and his brother Ernie's engine shop. Very nice folks, the Elliots.

Last edited:
First off, the Lancair isn't ever FIKI. The best you can have is non-certified de-ice. I think the only option is the Kelly electrical setup, which I would want.

Yes, its wings are clipped somewhat that way, but keep in mind you're flying a 300ish knot airplane with ridiculous climb rates that gets to the flight levels in no time. Basically, you climb up really fast (and are passing through potential icing altitudes at rates better than some jets) and then are on top. Depending on your type of flying, you might not even see much for ice. A lot of people with high-altitude birds still don't fly them in icing.

And I think he has a 441, which is what I'd be flying.

:D He's got a nice Bo too. At least he used to.

He still does! But it doesn't have an engine in it right now. Somebody made him an offer he couldn't refuse for his engine...so he sold it to them! I thought that was pretty damn funny.

Too bad they have a bad rep and a glide ratio like a brick is why insurance companies hate 'em.

When I mentioned maybe getting a Glasair to my insurance rep he started talking a lot. :rolleyes:

Edit in: Glasair's would be a good candidate for BRS because of insurance and just because. If I got one, I'd want a tail dragger so that I get a break on the insurance and have heavier gear I don't have to think about. Tail dragger is almost as fast as retractable.

Last edited:
Too bad they have a bad rep and a glide ratio like a brick is why insurance companies hate 'em.

It has the performance and glide ratio of a jet with no type rating required, a piston engine (for most), and is built in someone's garage. What's not to like from an insurance side? :rofl:

Seriously, the IV-P is the only piston single I really want. It's probably a good thing I stick to twins.

Fast as hell, but crazy dangerous in the wrong (and maybe even in the right) hands. There was a lengthy thread on BT a few weeks ago about them. The insurance guys chimed in and said insurance is insane on them, if/when you can get it.

I've ridden in a IV-P, and I remember 2 things in particular: it was crazy fast in cruise, and it crossed the fence at like 110kts.

It has the performance and glide ratio of a jet with no type rating required, a piston engine (for most), and is built in someone's garage. What's not to like from an insurance side? :rofl:

Seriously, the IV-P is the only piston single I really want. It's probably a good thing I stick to twins.

That's funny, good one. :lol:

The IV-P is the closet thing in a single to a jet without the jet price tag.

I'd settle for a GII taildragger like I said without A/C because I figure with a climb rate like that I'll be cool enough soon enough. Put the biggest honking engine we can cram in there mated to a MT prop and burn a hot hole in the sky. No pressurization, no retractable gear, no A/C, just keep it simple, light, fast, and insurable.

Last edited:

When I mentioned maybe getting a Glasair to my insurance rep he started talking a lot. :rolleyes:

Edit in: Glasair's would be a good candidate for BRS because of insurance and just because. If I got one, I'd want a tail dragger so that I get a break on the insurance and have heavier gear I don't have to think about. Tail dragger is almost as fast as retractable.

I pay about $1,000 annually for insurance on my Glasair. Full coverage and I think a 40K hull.

We can go fly my Pitts fast if you buy gas. We can go 215mph on 46 gallons per hour :)

Damn man, you make the 310 look like a Prius. I can do that speed on a bit over half the fuel burn.

I can do it on about 7 gph in the Lancair.:D

Yeah, but a 2 seater that gets half the MPG as a 6-seater twin makes me feel good. :D

(your Lancair is the other single I want ;) )

That's not bad at all, but what about zero hours in type?

Well they probably won't even touch you til you hit 10 hrs in type. Once I hit 10 I applied. Think I started at $1,200 for full coverage. Now I'm down to just below $1,000 with around 300 hrs in type.

They wanted $3,000 a year for the Velocity. Too rich for me, so I only keep liability on that one. Maybe next year I'll go back to full coverage if the rates go down.

Good luck getting insurance for that ! Don't believe me - go ahead make a couple phone calls and see for yourself.

Good luck getting insurance for that ! Don't believe me - go ahead make a couple phone calls and see for yourself.

You know...

If you can afford the airplane...I doubt you'll be too concerned about the cost of insurance, or even the availability for that matter because...

If you can afford the airplane...you can afford lawyers that can effectively shelter the rest of your assets from the liability of this one.

Quit thinking like a poor man when evaluating a rich man's toys! :goofy:

You know...

If you can afford the airplane...I doubt you'll be too concerned about the cost of insurance, or even the availability for that matter because...

If you can afford the airplane...you can afford lawyers that can effectively shelter the rest of your assets from the liability of this one.

Quit thinking like a poor man when evaluating a rich man's toys! :goofy:

Not necessarily, I had a Glasair I tail dragger spotted in Amarillo that was a mid time engine and he was asking around $27K for it. It was a clean plane but it was a GI with a four cylinder.

The used ones with the smaller engines are cheap. It's the GII's, GIII's and IV-P's and Lance's and Evolutions with the big mills that run into some scratch.

$25K (what I think he would have settled for) is tiddly winks money in our hobby. I know guys who spend that on golf or dear hunting. The little plane had an incredible speed for the mill and a great mile to gallon ratio. Very attainable for anyone with a license and a TW endorsement. So I guess I don't buy the aviation is dying because it's expensive argument. I just think we've raised a generation or two of wussies or something, hell I don't know. :redface:

All very true...but I was referring specifically to the $450,000 airplane that started this thread.

Back