Bill Elliott's Lancair IV Turboprop for Sale

I would be so far behind that plane that I would only catch up when it hit the ground.

A lot of people are worried about being behind the plane. It's really just a mental game to make your brain work faster. This is why having an instructor along for the first however many hours is a good idea. I've transitioned students into much faster planes than they'd been in, and once they learned to turn up the clock speed on their brains, it was easy.

After that first step (for most people it's in the 110 kt range to 150 kt range), it becomes easy. I went from 170 kt planes to a 270 kt plane and never felt behind.

Good luck getting insurance for that ! Don't believe me - go ahead make a couple phone calls and see for yourself.

Right! A turbine Lancair is very difficult to get insurance for and has all sorts of requirements including annual dual refreshers. My brother flies halfway across the country for that and the only insurance he has is liability. It's a beautiful airplane, but very unforgiving.

Right! A turbine Lancair is very difficult to get insurance for and has all sorts of requirements including annual dual refreshers. My brother flies halfway across the country for that and the only insurance he has is liability. It's a beautiful airplane, but very unforgiving.

Is there a reason the turbine version is harder to insure than the piston one? The piston version has a dismal reliability record...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a reason the turbine version is harder to insure than the piston one? The piston version has a dismal reliability record...

Faster and more power can let you get yourself into a tighter situation quicker. It's not just engine reliability that will kill you.

I flew into Bill Elliots airport when I sold my old 235. A narrow strip, but beautiful.

Back