Big big airplane

Last edited:
Imagine how much fuel it takes to get one of those off the ground!

I saw it at an airshow.
It was years ago.

I recall them saying it burned off 40 pounds of rubber off the tires every time it lands

Yes, a few times at Moffett Field, CA, it would come to pick up a satellite(s) from Lockheed to deliver to launch area.

No, that's a 124 rather than a 225. Notice it only has four engines.

It's still very big.

It used to be parked continuously near Hangar 2 or the Tower. Haven't looked in a bit.

Last edited:
WE get the 124 here at LAX frequently. I've never driven over during loading/unloading to see what the cargo is. Lots of vodka and caviar :)

Those fans:rofl:
That seems to be a Russian thing. The An-2 biplane I flew in last year had them, too.

GOPR0773.jpg

Those fans:rofl:

Years ago I got to tour the AN-124 when it was on the ground at Boeing Field to drop off some 777 engines. The fans were hilarious, as were the steps leading up to the upper deck - no handrails! Clearly the lawyers haven't run roughshod over Russia yet. :)

Other interesting facts: only one man on the flight deck spoke any English. He'd speak to ATC and relay the commands forward to the guys in the pilot seats. The crew had an Englishman as a handler - he's the one I started chatting up at the FBO (Clay Lacy) and gave me the tour. Since the crew spoke little to no English, his job was to handle hotels, rental cars, the FBO, and so on during the overnights.

Makes me wonder how much of the airplane is pressurized ,if at all.

Only the flight deck up top and the crew rest/sleeping areas immediately behind the flight deck are pressurized.

The An-225 is pretty darn big. Compared to it, the Ruslan is a little baby. I saw the Ruslan in person as a kid. I could believe for a while that there could be anything bigger that can get off the ground. :)

I saw the AN-225 Mriya (Dream) parked on the north ramp at McCarran in the 90's. It's just flippin' huge.

It has fourteen main gear trucks with twenty eight wheels and tires along with two nose gear assemblies containing four wheels and tires. The nose gear assembly 'kneels' so the aircraft can be more easily loaded.

I suppose most people know it was actually built to haul the USSR's Buran space shuttle.

I like this photo of the load deck. :D

1416416592932.png

I used to see one of these - not sure if it was the 124 or the 225 - parked at KIAH all the time. When it flies it looks like it's going as slow as a Cessna 152.

Years ago I got to tour the AN-124 when it was on the ground at Boeing Field to drop off some 777 engines. The fans were hilarious, as were the steps leading up to the upper deck - no handrails! Clearly the lawyers haven't run roughshod over Russia yet. :)

Other interesting facts: only one man on the flight deck spoke any English. He'd speak to ATC and relay the commands forward to the guys in the pilot seats. The crew had an Englishman as a handler - he's the one I started chatting up at the FBO (Clay Lacy) and gave me the tour. Since the crew spoke little to no English, his job was to handle hotels, rental cars, the FBO, and so on during the overnights.

Only the flight deck up top and the crew rest/sleeping areas immediately behind the flight deck are pressurized.
Yea I've heard this as well. Pretty interesting stuff.

No, that's a 124 rather than a 225. Notice it only has four engines.

It's still very big.

It used to be parked continuously near Hangar 2 or the Tower. Haven't looked in a bit.

I saw the 124 at ORD. Very long TO run; hung in the sky apparently moving too slow to fly as it slowly gained altitude. The optical illusion of very big planes made it appear close to stationary as it climbed out on those turbojets.

-Skip

I've seen the 225 land at IAH. As someone else said, it looks like it should fall out of the sky... looks slower than a Cessna 150.

Saw a 124 landing at IAH on the 9th.

Back