BFR requirements

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Yeah B:mad::). Anyway, there aren't any required flight maneuvers, I think. Maybe there should be. I'm thinking go arounds.

I think most CFI's ask for a series of maneuvers to verify currency. Mine asks for slow flight, steep turns, emergency procedures, 3 touch and goes,
rudder and aileron back and forth keeping the nose straight, stalls and such,,,

I guess my last one was steep turns (my instructor says he can tell more from a steep turn than anything), slow flight to first indication of a stall (warning light), then a full stall, and 3 landings and one go around.

Yeah B:mad::). Anyway, there aren't any required flight maneuvers, I think. Maybe there should be. I'm thinking go arounds.

They just aren't specified, they're left to the discretion of the instructor, of course some maneuvers are required.
It all depends on the what the pilot may need and/or want, and what the instructor wants to see to evaluate the pilot.

Take a look at the FAA guide to flight review. It’s a good resource on what’s expected or what’s supposed to be expected. I typically have students do power on/off stalls and steep turns at the minimum for maneuvers.

Some will ask you what you want practice with. After the regular maneuvers, we did emergency descents and landing on grass.

I let him have the plane to demonstrate racing a last skydiver back to the field descent...holy crap!!

The flight reviews I give I first ask what level cert they have, and we chit chat about what they should know they can and can't do with that cert. Get a feel for what they need to work on in the air. Then we talk airspace, weather, systems, and I dig out a paper (yep, paper) sectional. Ask em what sh-...uh crap is on the chart. Hit some weird things like "what are the black rings around these airports." After I figure they didn't just memorize answers for their written, we go fly. I do an abbreviated check ride with them and tailor it towards their weak spots. If not, it might go something like this:
Take off normally, climb to xxxx.
"Close your eyes, I have the plane."
"Hey, I want a good look at that barn from all sides."
"I want a 180 degree turn, and I want us 1000ft higher (or lower) when we roll out of it."
Meanwhile we are meandering towards another airport doing slow flight, heading changes, climbs descents, stalls, I pull the power.
"Ran out of fuel what do you do?"
Hopefully they land on the runway.
Taxi back, "Half the runway was lost in an earthquake, we can't stay here."
Head back to the previous airport (maybe).
"flaps are bound up, all the troubleshooting in the world won't get them down"
"holy crap there's a moose on the runway, what do you do?"
Do some more maneuvers on the way back. Maybe commercial maneuver intro if they are private.
"When you land keep the nose wheel off until I say so"

That usually chews up an hour plus in the air.

Shoot it, clean it, tell the CFI I’ll be back to pick him up.

Only because the CFI weighs 300 lbs and that's a VERY NICE trade out. Of course if he hasn't already signed you off, get it right then as you have no intention of actually returning to pick him up;)

Last edited:
It’s a flight review. They will ask you to do stuff but it’s also your opportunity to say I would like to do x, y and z. I actually just did my flight review today in conjunction with an HP endorsement and 182 checkout. Two flights due to the new airplane. I’ve only had a total of two flight reviews and both asked for no flap landings, power off stalls and steep turns. With the 182 we were at 10k descending and I asked for a demonstration of an emergency descent in that aircraft. My CFI set it up and took it half way then turned it over to me to finish. Use the experience as a learning/practice opportunity.

The flight reviews I give I first ask what level cert they have, and we chit chat about what they should know they can and can't do with that cert. Get a feel for what they need to work on in the air. Then we talk airspace, weather, systems, and I dig out a paper (yep, paper) sectional. Ask em what sh-...uh crap is on the chart. Hit some weird things like "what are the black rings around these airports." After I figure they didn't just memorize answers for their written, we go fly. I do an abbreviated check ride with them and tailor it towards their weak spots. If not, it might go something like this:
Take off normally, climb to xxxx.
"Close your eyes, I have the plane."
"Hey, I want a good look at that barn from all sides."
"I want a 180 degree turn, and I want us 1000ft higher (or lower) when we roll out of it."
Meanwhile we are meandering towards another airport doing slow flight, heading changes, climbs descents, stalls, I pull the power.
"Ran out of fuel what do you do?"
Hopefully they land on the runway.
Taxi back, "Half the runway was lost in an earthquake, we can't stay here."
Head back to the previous airport (maybe).
"flaps are bound up, all the troubleshooting in the world won't get them down"
"holy crap there's a moose on the runway, what do you do?"
Do some more maneuvers on the way back. Maybe commercial maneuver intro if they are private.
"When you land keep the nose wheel off until I say so"

That usually chews up an hour plus in the air.
Sounds like you are administering some sort of check ride.

Back