Best way to study logbook endorsements?

The frustrating part of these exercises is getting differing answers as to what is required from different DPEs and FSDOs. As much as the FAA *thinks* they have everything spelled out, in reality it's sometimes not the case.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-65E_CHG_1.pdf
Is referencing that not good enough? I memorized the big ones but had that out and went through it quickly explaining scenarios when each relevant one was used. I highlighted and had tabs on important pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:yes:

Any CFI candidate that shows up without a copy of 61.65E is probably going to go home hurting.

On my CFI oral, as soon as the FSDO inspector said "I'd like to talk about endorsements"...I reached into my bag 'o books and pulled out my copy of 61.65E. He smiled and said "Let's move on".

:D

Sent from my ancient Gateway desktop using my fingers

The frustrating part of these exercises is getting differing answers as to what is required from different DPEs and FSDOs. As much as the FAA *thinks* they have everything spelled out, in reality it's sometimes not the case.

Agreed, somewhat. I don't find it to be frustrating, but more as a bit of a challenge to prep each student based on the examination style of each examiner. Always within the PTS, but varying in the way asked or demonstrated.

I still believe the OP had other issues for his bust beyond a knowledge of endorsements.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-65E_CHG_1.pdf
Is referencing that not good enough? I memorized the big ones but had that out and went through it quickly explaining scenarios when each relevant one was used. I highlighted and had tabs on important pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured that my copy of advisory circular 61.65E had all the information I needed but it did not or at least not in a useful way.
My ASA log book did not fill in the gaps.
That was the reason for my original post.
I am looking for that magic list of required endorsements rather than the endorsements themselves.
It appears I need to make my own list.

A DPE friend of mine told me that either I met the practical standards or I didn’t.
What I found is many of the “standards” in the instructor practical test are idiosyncratic.
I feel confident I can manage this; I am just looking for the easiest most direct path to success.

Now I'm curious. This list in the AC not have the one you missed? Page 24-27 in reader. Here is a screenshot of the first page.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 15
Now I'm curious. This list in the AC not have the one you missed? Page 24-27 in reader. Here is a screenshot of the first page.

Flight proficiency/practical test was the one I missed.
At the examiners suggestion I was paraphrasing the names of the endorsements and I got became confused.
I essentially confused the Aeronautical knowledge test with Flight proficiency/practical test endorsement.
I had the Aeronautical Knowledge test down twice under different names so I thought I had the correct number of endorsements.
I will not do that again; I will only use the correct names for the endorsements.

I took the oral part of my retest for gyroplane CFI yesterday; Wednesday at SMX in four hours. Thunder storms kept us on the ground.
Today; Thursday we had more thunderstorms, low ceilings and shifting winds.
The designated examiner (Terry) had to leave Friday at 2:00 so things were looking bleak with fog expected to last till 11:00 Friday and the thunderstorms to last through the night.
Today we found ways to work around the weather and accomplish the tasks of demonstration and teaching for the flying portion of the retest.
Terry did a great job of emulating a recalcitrant student.
I have now successfully met the practical test standards for Flight Instructor, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane.
Thank you for your support and encouragement.
I learn a lot on the Pilot’s Of America message Board.

Thank you Brad, Jordan and Mike.

I feel elated.

Becoming a CFI was more challenging than I anticipated.

I found it a very rewarding adventure and continue to learn from the generous pilots that surround me.

Awesome! I've been following your journey to that rating for a while now. Your persistence/tenacity in the face of adversity is unequaled. I think all your students should consider themselves lucky.

Awesome! I've been following your journey to that rating for a while now. Your persistence/tenacity in the face of adversity is unequaled. I think all your students should consider themselves lucky.

Thank you for the kind words.

It has been a wonderfully challenging adventure.

I love sharing the joy I find flying.

I find it very special that people will trust me with their lives and want me to guide them on what may well be one of life’s great adventures. That has already led to some very nice friendships.

I am going to be the best CFI I can be.

Thank you for the kind words.

It has been a wonderfully challenging adventure.

I love sharing the joy I find flying.

I find it very special that people will trust me with their lives and want me to guide them on what may well be one of life’s great adventures. That has already led to some very nice friendships.

I am going to be the best CFI I can be.

I notice this part on the Rotary Forum:
On one landing where Terry had the controls he flared too high and pulled the power back. Without touching the controls I talked Terry through lowering the nose and adding power. It turned into his best landing.

That's what I mean about lucky students! :)

Back