Best way to buy oil

From the local distributed,pick up a few cases at a time. I have purchased oil at sun n fun from she'll ,when I had a twin. Also have gone with a group and purchased part of a pallet.
A _few_ cases? One case lasts me about 4 years. I might not live long enough to use a few cases.

So your local commercial piston plane operator where to go.

Always buy by the case.

A _few_ cases? One case lasts me about 4 years. I might not live long enough to use a few cases.

I use 7 quarts of the 12 in each case at every 50 hour oil change. And another 2-3 quarts added between each change.

How do you get 4 years out of a case? One quart every 4 months seems unrealistically low.

When I needed some, rather than pay Spruce $18/case shipping charge, I just flew there. Picked up two cases and a few other things, had lunch. This obviously won't work for everyone, that's where the big fly ins come into play.

Last edited:
Here in Austin we have a lubricant wholesaler who sells all the common brands of aviation oil by the case.

From waiting at the loading dock for my case of Aeroshell to appear it looks like a lot of their customers are operators of fleets of trucks and construction equipment.

I bet if you were to stop by your friendly neighbor concrete company, utility company, or aircraft fleet operator where they buy their lubricants you'd find a similar outfit in your area.

I use 7 quarts of the 12 in each case at every 50 hour oil change. And another 2-3 quarts added between each change.

How do you get 4 years out of a case? One quart every 4 months seems unrealistically low.
Just under three quarts per oil change once a year. Typically none added in between.

I just went into my local NAPA store and talked to the manager. They now always have a couple of cases of Aeroshell on the shelf.

Fly to sun n fun in a couple of weeks. You can stock up there for a nice price. :wink2:

Exxon usually has an online sale with free shipping during Sun&Fun and Oshkosh weeks.

www.EliteEtc.com

That has been my oil source for the last few years.

I know this is an old thread but does anyone have a source for purchasing Phillips oil in Michigan? I got some from a distributor north of Grand Rapids a couple years ago but cant remember the name.

Thanks

I have grown tired of buying engine oil thru AS and paying the hazmet shipping. The local FBO is no bargain either. Is there an economical way to buy aircraft oil?
Best way if you have the room is to have it delivered to your RV at Sun/Fun or Oshkosh. Cheapest way also.
I used to buy it from a local distributor until they stopped carrying 15/50 aeroshell.
Now I mostly buy it from aircraft spruce to get my orders over the min to get free shipping. I just got 2 6qt cases this week from them and there was no hazmat or extra cost for oil. I got free shipping.

Sun%20and%20Fun%202019%20176.jpg

Last edited:
Last couple of cases I purchased were at Oshkosh..... Phillips even delivered it to my car. ;)

I bought a couple cases of Phillips at Sun’n’Fun. Next year I’m going to pony up for four to six cases, maybe even more. Six cases next year will cost less than that same amount bought one case at a time over the next few years.

Of course they price a case just below the 99 for free shipping. They still beat ACS. Thanks

At first I wondered why a single quart was so expensive ($17.21) while a case was so cheap ($87.34). Then I realized you need to add +1 quart to get free shipping. And no tax to WA state.
Then it turns out to be the same price as from Amazon or Spruce, yet for 13 quarts instead of 12. Buy 12 cases, get one free!

@cowman put me onto these guys not long ago. Cheap, and local pickup FTW.

Nauga,
slick

Thanks for the link. They were the cheapest including shipping.
PSC seems to be affiliated with another company very close to them that offers another pricing model; it may even be the same company. With that company you get a lower price but pay for shipping. You can cut shipping costs by having them put several cases of oil into one large box. You have to price it both ways to get the best price.

Back