Best way to buy oil

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I have grown tired of buying engine oil thru AS and paying the hazmet shipping. The local FBO is no bargain either. Is there an economical way to buy aircraft oil?

I have grown tired of buying engine oil thru AS and paying the hazmet shipping. The local FBO is no bargain either. Is there an economical way to buy aircraft oil?

Find an oil distributor and by a 55 gallon drum.

bulk has no hazmat.

@ $832.70 per 220Qts brings it out to $3.78 per qt.

Last edited:
My local FBO will sell me a case of oil for whatever the price on Spruce is before shipping.

If you buy it by the quart it's like at least twice the price.

I buy Aeroshell at the local distributor (which is Quarles for the greate DC area). They used to give out free country music cassettes as they seem to deal primarily with truckers.

I go down to the port and get it from the regional distributor. You can go direct to your regional supplier and buy it by the case for typically half the price of getting it through aviation channels.

Last edited:
I've head people say this for years. Never seen it. Where does one find this mythical unicorn of aviation oil? In the Anchorage Sams Club?

Some do, some don't, if it's there, it's with the oil in automotive from what I've seen, just ask the customer service desk when you walk in, if there's anyone there.:lol:

I've head people say this for years. Never seen it. Where does one find this mythical unicorn of aviation oil? In the Anchorage Sams Club?

The local SAMs here used to carry Aeroshell W100. That ended about 10 years ago.

The local SAMs here used to carry Aeroshell W100. That ended about 10 years ago.

The Sam's club in Idaho Falls Idaho had it a while back.... I was with a fellow pilot and he bought several cases.... I don't run it.. I use Amsoil 20-50 racing synthetic.....

best I could do online was.... aviationoiloutlet.com

all others I was killed with shipping. (2) cases ($20 shipping) seemed to be the most economical purchase.

My local FBO will sell me a case of oil for whatever the price on Spruce is before shipping.

If you buy it by the quart it's like at least twice the price.

Shell Oil distributor on Cornhusker sells it also.

Join your local EAA chapter. The one out here makes a large order (many cases) a couple times a year to the local distributor. He even delivers it to the airport.

Local distributor can get it and shipping is usually free (or at least not more if they order oil on a consistent basis). My friend is a distributor so I asked him if he could get aviation oil. He asked the place he buys from and they said sure and threw 2 cases the pallet for his next delivery. He sold it to me at his cost.

My boss used to buy it (Phillips XC) by the multiple caseload from some oil distributer in town. I don't know what kind of deal he was getting. That was a long time ago and my job was to pick it up in the old Brady Bunch wagon.

My boss used to buy it (Phillips XC) by the multiple caseload from some oil distributer in town. I don't know what kind of deal he was getting. That was a long time ago and my job was to pick it up in the old Brady Bunch wagon.

:needpics::needpics:.......:D

I have bought AeroShell by the case from kellerheartt.com with good results.
A better price and delivered quickly to my door.
Local distributor is a 15 mile drive and more expensive.

I needed some oil last fall. The weather was nice, I'd been working too much and flying too little. So I went to Falcon Field, Spruce picked me up and delivered me, the wife, 2 cases of oil and assorted goodies back to the plane. Then then nice FBO loaned me a car with directions to several nearby restaurants for lunch.

Shipping would have been $18/case. Flying was worth it, under the Bravo shelf, kind of like visiting Lunken Field for lunch in the old terminal except with nicer Gerogia weather.
I've heard about using local distributors, but right now have no need. I'll keep the link anyway, thanks for that.

Anchorage Sam's Club, Costco, and WalMart all sell Aeroshell oils. Most of us just go to Stoddards, Reeve AiMotive, Aero, Floats Alaska, or any of several other dealers in town who stock Phillips aviation oil.

Anchorage Sam's Club, Costco, and WalMart all sell Aeroshell oils. Most of us just go to Stoddards, Reeve AiMotive, Aero, Floats Alaska, or any of several other dealers in town who stock Phillips aviation oil.

Now that would make sense. I doubt the box retailers in the lower 48 would sell anywhere near enough to justify the shelf space.

Watch Exxon - they have made it clear that the best way to buy oil is to let other folks find it and then buy it in the ground once it's been de-risked. As always, YMWV.

local distributor , I have saved lots over the FBO

I know this isn't the Brady Bunch but the wagon looked just like this.

earliest-crossover-vehicles-2.jpg

When I drove it people used to tease me about needing a bunch of kids to go along with the car. :eek:

I know this isn't the Brady Bunch but the wagon looked just like this.

earliest-crossover-vehicles-2.jpg

When I drove it people used to tease me about needing a bunch of kids to go along with the car. :eek:

I LOVE it.....

My first thought when seeing the blondes in the back window was....
Marsha, Marsha, Marsha....:D:D

I've bought from Amazon.com

I was just looking for Aeroshell on Amazon today. They were selling a quart of w100 for something like $21. :eek:

I was too lazy to look at all the options so I ended up comparing Spruce and Sporty's. Sporty's beat Spruce by about $15 for a case after shipping.

I'll be looking for a better source for my next case.

Don't buy from Aircraft Spruce except will call. Don't buy from FBOs unless they are willing to acknowledge you as a regular customer (based there) and extending to you some sort of discount.

My very best purchases for oil were from those pilots who were selling their aircraft and no longer needed that particular grade of oil. My most recent purchase was two cases at least than $2.00/qt. Yes, gotten out of the hanger of a pilot upgrading to a different engine.

I've always bought by the case as minimum quantity. Knowing there are other pilots in the same fix as you, it would behoove you to gather together and pony up for a single large purchase.

If you're paying hazmat shipping, they are screwing you.

I don't recall paying an arm and a leg for shipping a case of oil from Wag-Aero, but they don't list it ahead of time. One could call...

Shipping, handling fee and taxes (if applicable) will be added to your order when it is shipped. Wag-Aero charges a $3.75 handling fee on all ground orders, plus actual shipping charges. An additional $8.75 fee applies to propellers and oversized shipments. Actual shipping charges are determined by the shipping company (UPS, USPS or Truck) based on package size, weight and destination. Shipping charges can be high on oversize, heavy or hazardous goods as well as orders shipped by air. A $12.50 charge will be added to 3rd Day, 2nd Day, & Next Day shipments. Wag-Aero will call you if there are any additional charges.

Watch Exxon - they have made it clear that the best way to buy oil is to let other folks find it and then buy it in the ground once it's been de-risked. As always, YMWV.

What about futures? You can make a profit on it before you pay for it.

You can look on the sams club website and put your store in. The Houston Katy club had 2 pallets on the shelf w100

What about futures? You can make a profit on it before you pay for it.

Lots of folks play that game - make sure you have a chair to sit in when the music stops...

I don't recall paying an arm and a leg for shipping a case of oil from Wag-Aero, but they don't list it ahead of time. One could call...

Shipping, handling fee and taxes (if applicable) will be added to your order when it is shipped. Wag-Aero charges a $3.75 handling fee on all ground orders, plus actual shipping charges. An additional $8.75 fee applies to propellers and oversized shipments. Actual shipping charges are determined by the shipping company (UPS, USPS or Truck) based on package size, weight and destination. Shipping charges can be high on oversize, heavy or hazardous goods as well as orders shipped by air. A $12.50 charge will be added to 3rd Day, 2nd Day, & Next Day shipments. Wag-Aero will call you if there are any additional charges.

I got their catalog 2 nights ago. They wanted $74 for a case of Phillips 66. I looked on Spruce, and it was only $64.

I was too lazy to look at all the options so I ended up comparing Spruce and Sporty's. Sporty's beat Spruce by about $15 for a case after shipping.

I'll be looking for a better source for my next case.

BTW... It took Sporty's 9 days to get my oil to me. It looks like there's a distributor about an hour and half (or twenty minutes flying) from me. I think I'll try them next time.

From the local distributed,pick up a few cases at a time. I have purchased oil at sun n fun from she'll ,when I had a twin. Also have gone with a group and purchased part of a pallet.

Back