Best type rating?

Catalo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Catalo
Hi, So i should be finishing up my cmel & csel by the end of may along with cfi, cfii, mei. I was just curious whether or not its beneficial to spend the money on getting a type rating and if so which type rating is most sought after?

A type rating proves that you accomplished something, while others just spend their money building time. Maybe a C500 or CJ. Look at ProFlight in Carlsbad. Great people!

Hi, So i should be finishing up my cmel & csel by the end of may along with cfi, cfii, mei. I was just curious whether or not its beneficial to spend the money on getting a type rating and if so which type rating is most sought after?

No, it's not going to be beneficial.

Save the money, print some resumes, put some gas in your car, payback debt and get a flying JOB.

Unless you have a job waiting, save your coin.

Get a job flying,if you get a job offer ,go for the type rating.

A type rating is largely an ornimental addition to your certificate unless you have 500 hours in type to go with it.

I would save my money.

Plus, I see you are finishing your commercial multi.. I would wait until you qualify for an ATP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the future you would only have commercial privileges on that type unless you took an ATP type ride later on.

Plus, I see you are finishing your commercial multi.. I would wait until you qualify for an ATP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the future you would only have commercial privileges on that type unless you took an ATP type ride later on.

If you have a type on a commercial certificate, and then get an ATP, all of your types go on the ATP, no additional check rides.

If you have a type on a commercial certificate, and then get an ATP, all of your types go on the ATP, no additional check rides.

Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't know that. I always thought you had to demonstrate that particular airplane to the ATP standard.
Does that hold true for a PPL type as well? I know that's not overly common, but it does happen.

I remember that question from the ATP written!

Buying a Type rating without a job flying that equipment seems like a waste of money. Spend the money on a very long x-c flight (i.e. circumnavigate the U.S.) in the slowest, cheapest flying machine you can find. That will do more for your airman creds than an unneeded type rating.

Also buyig type is kinda frowned upon in the industry.

Get hired by an airline, they train you and the type rating comes with it

Last edited:

Not unless you have a job offer.

There's no type rating for the P-51. :dunno:

Yes there is. It used to be a LOA. The FAA changed it to type ratings in the late 90s for high horsepower warbirds. Anyone who had an LOA before the change date automatically got a change to a type rating for make and model. Don

Yes there is. It used to be a LOA. The FAA changed it to type ratings in the late 90s for high horsepower warbirds. Anyone who had an LOA before the change date automatically got a change to a type rating for make and model. Don

I thought someone was saying the P-51 was an exception to that because it was in Limited cat.:dunno: Never researched it, sounded like a silly thing that could be possible.

Back