Best time to begin flight training?

Jeff Szlauko

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChopperJeff
I just started ground school 2 days ago for becoming a Private pilot, which will last 7 weeks, meeting once a week. I have yet to begin the flight training portion, as I figured I'd complete the ground school first. However, I've heard from several sources that having the flight training along with the ground school is good, as once reinforces the other. So, if I do decide to pursue the flight training, should I wait a few weeks, and get some ground school knowledge under my belt, or is it a case of "the sooner, the better"?

Thanks!

I just started ground school 2 days ago for becoming a Private pilot, which will last 7 weeks, meeting once a week. I have yet to begin the flight training portion, as I figured I'd complete the ground school first. However, I've heard from several sources that having the flight training along with the ground school is good, as once reinforces the other. So, if I do decide to pursue the flight training, should I wait a few weeks, and get some ground school knowledge under my belt, or is it a case of "the sooner, the better"?

Thanks!

You will hear from supporters of both schools of thought. As a flight instructor who taught ground school, I thought that those students with some exposure to flight did better in ground school than those who were starting from square one. Everyone learns differently, though, so there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

Bob Gardner

Do both at the same time. The ground knowledge will be more relevant and make better sense when you're in active flight training.

I guess I am the oddball...I did ground school before flight training and took the written (which I got a 97% on). I also read the PHAK, AFH, portions of the AIM, and much of the Risk Management Book before I started flying. Personally I think it gave me a HUGE upper hand when it came to the flying as I had some knowledge from Ground School...my instructors thought the same.

That said...obviously there is nothing wrong with doing the flying and ground school at the same time too!

You said "if" u decide to pursue flight training ......sup with that, yo?

Thank you all for your replies...much appreciated!
You said "if" u decide to pursue flight training ......sup with that, yo?

I know, huh? How could anyone not take flight training. I guess I say "if" as I began this endeavor with the goal of just completing the ground school, and then if finances allowed it, I'd do the flight training. However, the more I think about the possibility of becoming a private pilot, the more I want it. Was thinking that at least getting the Sport Pilot license would suffice, but the flight club I'm taking the ground school at seems to think that one should just go for the Private Pilot license. We'll see how it all works out.

I probably need to start thinking of "when", and not "if" I go for the flight training. Sure looks like it could be an exciting, and rewarding adventure!

By the way, thank you all for your input. It's much appreciated, and I'll keep an eye out for more.

NOW!!!!

Bonus points if you do it in a tailwheel or a glider too.

Just for reference, there are those of us, myself included, who have never taken "ground school". In my own case, despite earning multiple ratings in three categories of aircraft, I have yet to take a single ground school lesson. For each certificate/rating, I simply read the books, took practice tests and passed the written/oral exams as required. In my case, a written book (nowadays online) drastically trumps a dog-and-pony show by someone whose abilities in the air I view with suspicion.

Wait... You DID get a discovery flight right? What is there to think about ;)

(a differing opinion here...)
I just completed ground school a month ago and passed the test... because the price was right (my company paid for it, so it was $0 out of pocket)
Now I'm "interviewing" flight instructors, so we make sure that we're a good fit.
I'll be up in Arlington, WA tomorrow at the fly in, and there's a couple of CFI that I want to talk with. I'm trying to figure if the extra 30 minutes of travel time between KPAE (I ride my bike past there every day on my way to work) and KAWO on the ground is worth it. One that I've been interested in has a $60 deal that I'll try out tomorrow.

***Bonus Point***
The FAA was there with the medical team, and they're looking forward (at least these ones were) to reform. They can see GA dying off as well, and the two I spoke with were excited about seeing someone younger (I'm 47, if that's a sad state of affairs that I'm "younger") wanting to fly.

I just completed ground school a month ago and passed the test... because the price was right (my company paid for it, so it was $0 out of pocket)
Now I'm "interviewing" flight instructors, so we make sure that we're a good fit.
I'll be up in Arlington, WA tomorrow at the fly in, and there's a couple of CFI that I want to talk with. I'm trying to figure if the extra 30 minutes of travel time between KPAE (I ride my bike past there every day on my way to work) and KAWO on the ground is worth it. One that I've been interested in has a $60 deal that I'll try out tomorrow.

***Bonus Point***
The FAA was there with the medical team, and they're looking forward (at least these ones were) to reform. They can see GA dying off as well, and the two I spoke with were excited about seeing someone younger (I'm 47, if that's a sad state of affairs that I'm "younger") wanting to fly.

It's funny, I thought I was getting into the flying game late in life at 38. But it seems I'm one of the younger ones. Of all the people cueently taking lessons from my CFI only one is significantly younger, mid 20s I'd say. I walked past the classroom at the fbo where a different school was having a lesson and most in there were 40s - 50s

To answer the OP, I am currently working on the flight training and doing home study for the knowledge test. IMO it helps to understand some of the concepts being able to experience them in the cockpit vs just reading them.

Yeah, it's funny seeing the other people in my ground school class and realizing I'm one of the oldest in there, as I'll be turning 60 early next year. One kid in the class is a freshman in high school, and the oldest is a retired fire chief. The others are in their 30's to 40's. Never too late to learn something new...I hope!
I tried one of the online ground schools about a year ago, and it just didn't work for me. I guess I just need the discipline that a class provides. That said though, I can see now how studying the material from the many sources out there can get you to passing the knowledge test. Oh well, whatever works, huh? To each their own.
I'm looking forward to pursuing this, as I've always loved airplanes, and flying, though I've always had a bit of fear of it...a bit of a "white knuckle flier." Hopefully that fear will translate into being a more careful, observant pilot.
At this point, it seems a bit overwhelming, as I look at all the stuff that one needs to learn, and know, to become a pilot. Hope I'm not the only one who has had this feeling! I'm no stranger to learning, as I've been through college, and achieved a degree in electronics engineering...but that was a LONG time ago!

***Bonus Point***
I like the fact you're *interviewing* instructors... That said, that's somewhat hard to do on the ground. I have had a few students that loved me on the ground but couldn't relate to my teaching techniques in the air. Most students didn't give a rats hiny about me on the ground but totally respected my teaching techniques. I'm sure I had a few that hated both me and my teaching techniques. To be honest o was tough with very high standards for my students.

I did self study on all of my tests PP, Instrument and all three A&P writtens and passed them all with 90% or more. I did the PP while training and I would do that again. When you decide to do the flight training have all your funds up front. Fly 2-3 times a week and 1-1/2 hour in the air per lesson. You will learn much faster that way and it will cost less. I did mine at a Part 141 school and got it in 35hrs in five weeks. Don

I like the fact you're *interviewing* instructors... That said, that's somewhat hard to do on the ground. I have had a few students that loved me on the ground but couldn't relate to my teaching techniques in the air. Most students didn't give a rats hiny about me on the ground but totally respected my teaching techniques. I'm sure I had a few that hated both me and my teaching techniques. To be honest o was tough with very high standards for my students.
I spoke with one today and he convinced me to do tail draggers first with this simple sentence: "If you can do conventional landing gear, tricycle gear will be easy. The other way around isn't so." He's 70, and has been a CFI since 1971.
I'll do a ride with him and see how his training techniques are.

I spoke with one today and he convinced me to do tail draggers first with this simple sentence: "If you can do conventional landing gear, tricycle gear will be easy. The other way around isn't so." He's 70, and has been a CFI since 1971.
I'll do a ride with him and see how his training techniques are.
Are planning on renting or buying after you get your ticket? Learning to fly in a tailwheel is fine, but is there a TW airplane you can rent afterwards? Either way is fine, but I don't think primary training in a TW is necessarily the best way to do it.

I am getting towards the end of my PPL training, and I could not imagine waiting to finish all the ground school before actually getting into the air. It makes many of the concepts much easier to understand for me if I am putting them into effect as I am learning about them.

Are planning on renting or buying after you get your ticket? Learning to fly in a tailwheel is fine, but is there a TW airplane you can rent afterwards? Either way is fine, but I don't think primary training in a TW is necessarily the best way to do it.
He has both. The TW training is included in the package, so I get both for the same price. His quote, "Once you're in the air, they all fly the same, but on the ground, you want to be sure you know how to use the rudder."

I don't have a burning desire to learn conventional landing gear airplanes, but his perspective did pique my interest.

Then get on with it and learn in the tailwheel. You will learn really good stick and rudder skills that will serve you well in your flying carreer. And as a bonus I'm sure he will do spins. A basic aerobatic course is also a good thing early on. You might find you like that type of flying. Don

Back