Best TFR ever. The Pope TFR

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
So I do understand the reasoning behind the Pope TFR, but the airport I generally fly out of N87 the TFR covers about 2/3 of the runway. At the FBO we have been joking that we could take-off on 11 and land on 29 provided you did not balloon or land long.

webbidenlatfr_0588-combined.jpg

Last edited:
You should see all the closed down streets in Philly. Absolutely crazy. He gets more security than our President and I think the Pope is favored more than Obama :rofl:

Why does he need a TFR?

I mean if anything happened to him wouldn't it just be gods will? :lol:

Luckily FRG got a little cut out for this TFR so we can still fly.
I flew it today, you have to immediately turn east to avoid it but then I almost busted Islip's class C. I feel a little uneasy flying at 1400 that far from the airport.

I flew it today, you have to immediately turn east to avoid it but then I almost busted Islip's class C. I feel a little uneasy flying at 1400 that far from the airport.
It's not bad. Remember the Class C begins at 1500 at the outer shelf. You still have a few miles of buffer before you get to the inner ring where it starts at the surface.

I saw a blurb today when the Pope said he didn't need the Popemobile with the bulletproof bubble.... Claimed he was old and a pot shot doesn't scare him...

I guess the FAA and SS didn't get the memo..:dunno:....:rolleyes:

These gigantic "VIP" TFRs are an outrage. Maybe there should be something written into the PBOR.

I saw a blurb today when the Pope said he didn't need the Popemobile with the bulletproof bubble.... Claimed he was old and a pot shot doesn't scare him...

I guess the FAA and SS didn't get the memo..:dunno:....:rolleyes:

I'd guess it's more about the crowd being able to hear him without a din of press helicopters.

I flew into Leesburg executive on thursday, lucky to have that still carved out for the visit.

Really? He's only the leader of the worldwide catholic church. About 4 times more catholics than the U.S. population.

And how does being the leader of a religion qualify as needing a TFR? Does he get a TFR in other countries that he flies in? Does he feel threatened by USA GA pilots? Is there any sort of threat, credible or otherwise, from aviation? There is not. Just as there is not with POTUS.

The main issue with these TFRs is that they do a lot to inhibit model citizens from exercising their freedoms and next to nothing to prevent those with intent to do harm from doing so. Fly low with the transponder off and nobody will see you or be able to do anything about you.

I have great respect for those in charge of protecting various VIPs but anyone who knows anything about real security knows the TFRs are mostly just security theatre. Much like the TSA was recently shown, through internal audits, to be completely useless at detecting contraband from those intent on sneaking it through. Have a tiny one around the actual event, which does help keep the skies clear for law enforcement teams but this whole blocking off entire regions is silly.

If someone wants to do something evil a TFR is not going to stop them, but it will really screw up your weekend family plans.

Last edited:
The pope didn't request the TFRs ,the people running security,do it automatically lately. They think it makes security tighter,when in fact your highlighting the area the VIP is in.

The pope didn't request the TFRs ,the people running security,do it automatically lately. They think it makes security tighter,when in fact your highlighting the area the VIP is in.

I'm north of Philadelphia. Weather's not bad, a little breezy and cloudy, a nice autumn flying day. It's weird not seeing a single light aircraft in the sky the whole day. Reminds me of the days following 9/11.

And how does being the leader of a religion qualify as needing a TFR? Does he get a TFR in other countries that he flies in? Does he feel threatened by USA GA pilots? Is there any sort of threat, credible or otherwise, from aviation? There is not. Just as there is not with POTUS.

Does he get a TFR in other countries? Yes he get's their equivalent. All I know is both the Pope and POTUS have had assassination attempts placed on them. Guess that was enough to warrant a TFR.

Really? He's only the leader of the worldwide catholic church. About 4 times more catholics than the U.S. population.

He's the leader of 110 acres and 862 people. There's a lot more that might like him. But, he holds no legal jurisdiction over them.

He's the leader of 110 acres and 862 people. There's a lot more that might like him. But, he holds no legal jurisdiction over them.

Absolutely freakin' true. He is head of state of a barely existent city state that has no real power or influence except in the heads of feeble minded religious dolts. Watching congress and potus fawn over him sickened me and just made me more convinced that our country is poorly led.

Is the TFR for the pope himself, or is it for a large public gathering sort of like an NFL game?

Back