Looks great! Would you mind sharing by about how much you had to stretch your budget? I assume by more than 2x

Obviously went over 100k, it’s only money , beautiful plane. ENJOY! Looks like you went with a Vanbortel plane , how was your experience with them .

Very nice looking restart 182, I have a couple hundred hours in one of those, nice planes! Enjoy!

View attachment 84510 Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up getting a Cessna 182S. I’ve had it for several months and am very happy with my decision.

Needless to say, the budget ended up stretching quite a bit...

Nice looking airplane!

As the joke for new owners goes...

Congrats and condolences!

Looks great. Lots of fun ahead.

Nice. How did insurance work out? I've been told by a few rental places and clubs that insurance keeps you out of a complex HP 182 if the pilot has under 150 hours.

182 is not complex.

That does sound right for rental places. They generally have somewhat higher requirements than personally owned aircraft, probably assuming that a person who owns the aircraft is going to fly on a more regular basis, which makes them safer. While a 182 will cost more to insure than a 172 will for a new pilot, it's not too crazy.

View attachment 84510 Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up getting a Cessna 182S. I’ve had it for several months and am very happy with my decision.

Needless to say, the budget ended up stretching quite a bit...

Awesome! That's a really nice bird!

Now, go forth and aviate! Get that instrument training done (and call up your insurance company and ask for a discount afterwards), and then start using it to go places.

Because the 182 is such a versatile bird, it'll allow you to discover what you really like to do in aviation. Go land on a grass or dirt strip out in the wilderness and go camping, if you're into that. Do some upset recovery training. Do a mountain flying course. Go on some really long cross country trips.

I like to say that to be a better pilot, you have to push your personal envelope - Just be sure to only do it one corner at a time! The 182 allows you to push in many directions. So try lots of new things - One at a time - And find out what parts of aviation are your favorites. :)

Nice. How did insurance work out? I've been told by a few rental places and clubs that insurance keeps you out of a complex HP 182 if the pilot has under 150 hours.

Not sure about complex (RG), but 182 can be insured under any circumstances. I bought mine before my first flight lesson, and the insurance was $1600 per year, including an instructor. That was 600 hrs ago. I now pay $1400 per year, so pretty much the same.

Insurance wasn’t an issue. I had less than 150 hours and no instrument rating. I was able to get $1,000,000 smooth coverage for $2,800 per year. 8 hours of dual instruction was required prior to solo.

Looks great! Would you mind sharing by about how much you had to stretch your budget? I assume by more than 2x

You are correct. Approximately 2.5x budget. It has air conditioning though haha!

Obviously went over 100k, it’s only money , beautiful plane. ENJOY! Looks like you went with a Vanbortel plane , how was your experience with them .

Great experience with Van Bortel. Their planes are definitely pricey, but as a first time buyer I was okay paying a premium with the assurance I was getting a good airplane with no surprises.

Awesome! That's a really nice bird!

Now, go forth and aviate! Get that instrument training done (and call up your insurance company and ask for a discount afterwards), and then start using it to go places.

Because the 182 is such a versatile bird, it'll allow you to discover what you really like to do in aviation. Go land on a grass or dirt strip out in the wilderness and go camping, if you're into that. Do some upset recovery training. Do a mountain flying course. Go on some really long cross country trips.

I like to say that to be a better pilot, you have to push your personal envelope - Just be sure to only do it one corner at a time! The 182 allows you to push in many directions. So try lots of new things - One at a time - And find out what parts of aviation are your favorites. :)

Thanks for the advice. I plan on doing all the above!

Late to the discussion, sorry. Minor points, but two of your mission requirements are getting an instrument rating, and not losing your shirt, buying and selling, right? I would lean toward a very clean 172, or Warrior with a GOOD PANEL for an instrument student. Maybe consult an experienced instrument instructor for panel advise. I own a Bonanza, and while it’s a very fine airplane, fast, efficient, and responsive, the maintenance is quite expensive. Plenty of folks have puchased what they thought was a perfect $100,000 Bonanza and were SHOCKED when the annual cost $7,000. Fixed gear and prop, and every A&P can keep it well maintained - inexpensively. Another minor thing about Bonanzas, it will double or triple the time (and $$) it takes to get your rating. I’m an airline captain and consider the Bo challenging to fly on the guages.

Great experience with Van Bortel. Their planes are definitely pricey, but as a first time buyer I was okay paying a premium with the assurance I was getting a good airplane with no surprises.
I’ve known Howard for many years and they absolutely do things right! Enjoy that 182!!

Late to the discussion, sorry. Minor points, but two of your mission requirements are getting an instrument rating, and not losing your shirt, buying and selling, right? I would lean toward a very clean 172, or Warrior with a GOOD PANEL for an instrument student. Maybe consult an experienced instrument instructor for panel advise.

You are indeed late to the party. The OP bought a 182 months ago. :D

It is a stunningly beautiful airplane!

A beautiful plane and an excellent choice. IMO, of course.:)

Back