Best location/school for accelerated training without a car?

Spitfire123

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Spitfire123
I just returned to the U.S. after an extended period traveling abroad and intend to finally begin flight training. I am not "tied down" to any location in the U.S. at the moment, so would like to relocate to somewhere for 1-2 months to finish a PPL. I've sent messages to a couple schools in areas that I think would fit the bill but I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

I do not have a car and most of my stuff is in storage. I'd like to relocate somewhere where I can stay relatively close to a flight school and train 4-5 times a week. Obviously, big cities are usually easier without a car, but I'm wondering if there are other locations or particular cities that are best suited for what I'm trying to do.

Miami was one of my first ideas as the weather is good and many decent neighborhoods for 1-2 month stays are within a 25 minutes drive of the executive airport. However, the public transit system isn't great and those taxi/Uber rides would add up fast. NYC is an obvious idea without a car, but train/bus rides to the nearest airports are often 1.5-2 hours each way, which would not be pleasant.

Just looking for ideas! Thanks.

Very few flight training facilities are convenient to public transport. Good example, KAPA (Centennial, 'burb of Denver) is 1.5 miles south of both the bus system and light rail. But there's no way to get from the light rail station or the closest bus stop (on one of the busiest streets in the state). You may want to invest in a junker car or even a motorcycle for cheap transport.

KHHR in Los Angeles is across the street from the metro station, and has several active flying clubs.

I've done a lot of "last mile" work from mass transit using an electric scooter, and they're a few hundred bucks for a good quality one. Easy to put 10 or 15 miles on one to connect any wayward dots needed.

Are you looking for a big city to live in and have fun without a car while flight training, or are you just looking to move somewhere and knock out the training without a car in 1-2 months? Both you and others are bringing up cities where you could commute to the airport. But I thought there were more rural flight schools out there that had / included housing on the airport for accelerated students. I don't have any personal experience with that, so maybe I'm wrong.

Sling Academy, at Torrance CA, KTOA. Many programs available. Finish up your PPL or take it to the airlines. Reasonably priced in modern TTA aircraft

Find one of those classy schools with student housing crash pads.

L3 Harris in Sanford Fl, has dorms, great little cafeteria at million air.

Sling Academy, at Torrance CA, KTOA. Many programs available. Finish up your PPL or take it to the airlines. Reasonably priced in modern TTA aircraft
The same outfit has a location at Gillespie (KSEE) in El Cajon CA. The airport has a San Diego Trolley Station on the field, from which given enough time you can reach most local areas. Its within walking distance of the Sling facility. You can also carry a bicycle on the Trolley, if I recall correctly.

I have no experience with them, except for observing that they are busy. Obviously the San Diego area weather is good, however housing is unlikely to be cheap.

American Flyers could probably accommodate your program, they have several different locations. (I have no personalexperience with them.)

You didn't specify what kind of PPL. But you said looking for idea's. For a glider PPL which isn't a terrible way to start..
Last time I checked
has an onsite bunkhouse, and on onsite DPE if it hasn't changed.
Don't know what food accommodations are available.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

The same outfit has a location at Gillespie (KSEE) in El Cajon CA. The airport has a San Diego Trolley Station on the field, from which given enough time you can reach most local areas. Its within walking distance of the Sling facility. You can also carry a bicycle on the Trolley, if I recall correctly.

I have no experience with them, except for observing that they are busy. Obviously the San Diego area weather is good, however housing is unlikely to be cheap.
Yes, I believe they expanded the Torrance operation to San Diego recently. Other than being the owner of a SLING 2, I have no involvement with the school. I know the co-owners, before they had the school. They are knowledgeable and trustworthy people.

Back