Can you use the I Pad AHRS when IFR? In an emergency - yes!

The MAP for an ILS is the DA. For the LOC minimums it is the charted MAP. They are constructed differently in TERPs. There are a few vertical guided procedures around the country that have only a DA. Those have no charted MAP.

The most dramatic example is Beckwourth, California O02.
Ah, the RNAV(GPS) Z RWY 26. That one is a poster child for all kinds of discussions. Fly Visual Segments. Arrival Holds. But not really relevant to the can you start making turns in the Missed Approach Procedure prior to the Missed Approach Point. Because this Missed Approach Procedure does not have those turns. It's straight ahead, Direct to SIDOY.

Ah, the RNAV(GPS) Z RWY 26. That one is a poster child for all kinds of discussions. Fly Visual Segments. Arrival Holds. But not really relevant to the can you start making turns in the Missed Approach Procedure prior to the Missed Approach Point. Because this Missed Approach Procedure does not have those turns. It's straight ahead, Direct to SIDOY.
The "Z" missed approach is a specific track to HALLE.

The "Z" missed approach is a specific track to HALLE.
Yes. Halle is the Missed Approach Fix. Via SIDOY and CUGTI. It starts out with straight ahead Direct to SIDOY. The can you start turns prior to the Missed Approach Point discussion is not relevant here.

Last edited:
And the follow up…for what?

The answer is it "depends". You have to look in an airplane's flight manual and it's supplements to know for sure.

In my interpretation, enroute and terminal could be allowed, but approaches are not. Most folks will cite the footnotes to Table 1-1-6 and say you're good to go if the data (waypoints etc.) appears to be current.

upload_2022-3-6_8-15-3.png

An airplane's flight manual supplement is more restrictive than general guidelines in the AIM per 91.9. For Garmin GTNs (I have not looked closely in other manufacturer's manuals like Avidyne), enroute and terminal phase ops are allowed if waypoints in the expired database are verified. HOWEVER, for the approach phase it clearly says you MUST have a current database.

upload_2022-3-6_8-11-9.png

My DPE had a favorite AIM. Three things must have 1) must see airport, 2) must have required visibility, and 3) must be able to make landing without extreme maneuvering and decent rate.

I guess rather than messing with the Ipad initially on that engine out scenario, one could declare and ask for vectors to the nearest ... just saying ....

Reactions: WDD
I guess rather than messing with the Ipad initially on that engine out scenario, one could declare and ask for vectors to the nearest ... just saying ....
That’s what I was taught. Bonus is that ATC gets all other traffic it’s talking to out of your way.

If a school bus is stopped on a divided 4 way traveling in the opposite direction, do I have to stop for it?

Yes, if you are in Alabama. State law, signs every few miles on divided highways. Don’t remember if included interstates.

View attachment 102770

Traffic in front of you is cleared for the visual approach. ATC asks if you have the airport or the traffic in sight. You only see the traffic. ATC instructs you, “follow preceding traffic, cleared for the visual approach.”
The traffic in front of you then announces, “lost sight of the runway. Executing missed approach.”
Question: what do you do?

Request a contact approach.

What are the six T’s - I was asked that but that velvet came up in training.

There are only four T's.

The extra T's are just added fluff to confuse things and require more training ($$$).

Back