How do you suggest it be communicated?
Maintain 2000. That says what it says. Like countless other DP's. "...maintain 2000 (do not climb above 2000)..." I'm talking about the extra warning in the parentheses. Never seen it before. Have you? I ain't saying it's a bad idea. They've obviously had some adventures there in the past. Maybe they should put a picture of a plane at 3000 in the Planview with a skull and crossbones.:D

Why not put the gear down instead of making S-turns?

Want to lose a little altitude, but not get stuck with the extra drag and end up short. In a real world situation, a little scraped metal is preferable.

One thing to consider is the risk inherent of flying single engine over hard IFR conditions. I'm not saying it can't be done or even that it shouldn't be done, you just have to weigh the potential risk when making your go/no-go decision. I know guys that have no qualm with flying SE piston with widespread Low IFR conditions. I know others (including myself) that use MVFR conditions as a personal minimum.

Ah. Read your post again. I missed the ya still had your ipad. Yeah, rollin' yer own is certainly feasible.

Those were actually two separate scenarios. In the second scenario the question really is, can you shoot an approach using nothing but an iPad or other portable GPS?

Want to lose a little altitude, but not get stuck with the extra drag and end up short. In a real world situation, a little scraped metal is preferable.
In the real world, my gear legs protecting my back from impact is preferable. YMMV.

In the real world, my gear legs protecting my back from impact is preferable. YMMV.

A controlled belly landing shouldn't be much more impact than a normal landing. Coming up short onto terrain you didn't plan to land on, or trying to stretch a glide and stalling, would have far more impact.

A controlled belly landing shouldn't be much more impact than a normal landing. Coming up short onto terrain you didn't plan to land on, or trying to stretch a glide and stalling, would have far more impact.
As would destabilizing an instrument approach with s-turns.

They are pretty serious about that 2000. Don't think I've ever seen that before. Anyway, I suppose a good question would be why do you think 24L has different minimums.

A bunch of very tall buildings in downtown Cleveland off 24, for 6, keeping you well below the the traffic departing 6 out of CLE.

Last edited:
True, but the Triangle T is in the left lower corner. A lot of avenues for discussion on what appears to be a very simple SID.
The "T" (FAA charts only) I presume is because the SID has its own takeoff minimums. I'm conversant in Jeppenese, not Faaese.

The "T" (FAA charts only) I presume is because the SID has its own takeoff minimums. I'm conversant in Jeppenese, not Faaese.

People claim there are no significant difference, but I disagree. Jepp removes the traps.

People claim there are no significant difference, but I disagree. Jepp removes the traps.
I personally agree. Plus, these groups are focused on USA/GA. If your fight ops take you to other places in the world, then you need Jepps. That German outfit, whose name escapes me, also charts IFPs for the the entire world, but not for all IFR airports.

It means Takeoff Minimums and (Obstacle) Departure Procedure are published in the TPP. It’s where you go to find close in obstacles. Some airports have so many, putting them on a SID would take up a lot of room. I think they used to do it but decided it made some Charts to cluttered. So now it’s this way.

Last edited:
A bunch of very tall buildings in downtown Cleveland off 24, for 6, keeping you well below the the traffic departing 6 out of CLE.
I meant that 24L and 24R have different minimums. Stray a little left on a 24R departure and your going to be in 24L’s territory which has higher minimums.

Maintain 2000. That says what it says. Like countless other DP's. "...maintain 2000 (do not climb above 2000)..." I'm talking about the extra warning in the parentheses. Never seen it before. Have you? I ain't saying it's a bad idea. They've obviously had some adventures there in the past. Maybe they should put a picture of a plane at 3000 in the Planview with a skull and crossbones.:D
Ah Ha. The Teterboro Four has it. I’ve heard they’ve had some adventures there.

It means Takeoff Minimums and (Obstacle) Departure Procedure are published in the TPP. It’s where you go to find close in obstacles. Some airports have so many, putting them on a SID would take up a lot of room. I think they used to do it but decided it made some Charts to cluttered. So now it’s this way.
This is how Jeppesen does it:
burke_Page_1.jpg burke_Page_2.jpg

Most countries don't provide those close-in obstacles. The FAA didn't until perhaps 20 years ago.

This is how Jeppesen does it:
View attachment 102895 View attachment 102896

Most countries don't provide those close-in obstacles. The FAA didn't until perhaps 20 years ago.
I’m sure Jepp did the put it all on one page thing first, and the Gov charters followed later. I’d guess the reason most countries don’t do it is because most have sane Tort laws. I’m speculating it started perhaps 20 years ago as a response to some accident and jury award. ‘But if I’d a known about that tree I’d a been a little more careful to fly the departure correctly’

I’m sure Jepp did the put it all on one page thing first, and the Gov charters followed later. I’d guess the reason most countries don’t do it is because most have sane Tort laws. I’m speculating it started perhaps 20 years ago as a response to some accident and jury award. ‘But if I’d a known about that tree I’d a been a little more careful to fly the departure correctly’
When it came in I was told the airlines wanted it for data for their 121.189 requirements. Recently, I've been told it may be discontinued.

When it came in I was told the airlines wanted it for data for their 121.189 requirements. Recently, I've been told it may be discontinued.
Probably so. I’m a little jaded about what the litigation system has done to aviation over the years.

Lost comms. You know the squawk but what steps/options do you have to troubleshoot and resolve? Name at least five.

What are the six T’s - I was asked that but that velvet came up in training.

When you arrived over the NDB, time turn throttle.
/Three ”T”s
//That’s all you need.
///Back in the day.
////And we liked it that way.

I have no idea. I never heard of these or any Ts before the DPE mentioned them.
I believe it's mostly a military taught thing. Very useful to repeat it to yourself while flying an approach to make sure you didn't forget anything. I actually put 'time' first so I don't forget to start a timer, but with moving map GPS nowadays forgetting isn't as consequential.

You're flying with the DPE on an ILS. After the FAF and before the DA he instructs you (acting as ATC) to go missed. The MAP is a VOR about 15* left of course. Do you follow the ILS to the DA and then go missed or do you go direct the VOR and climb right away?

You're flying with the DPE on an ILS. After the FAF and before the DA he instructs you (acting as ATC) to go missed. The MAP is a VOR about 15* left of course. Do you follow the ILS to the DA and then go missed or do you go direct the VOR and climb right away?
I don't understand this question, possibly because I've never done an approach like this before... why is the missed approach point not on the final approach course defined by the localizer? You may not have asked what you intended to ask...

I don't understand this question, possibly because I've never done an approach like this before... why is the missed approach point not on the final approach course defined by the localizer? You may not have asked what you intended to ask...
I may have written that confusingly. ILS's wouldn't have a defined MAP, but I was trying to equate reaching the DA to reaching a charted MAP. The question essentially is whether or not you are allowed to transition to the missed approach course early.

I may have written that confusingly. ILS's wouldn't have a defined MAP, but I was trying to equate reaching the DA to reaching a charted MAP. The question essentially is whether or not you are allowed to transition to the missed approach course early.
The missed approach course doesn’t start before the missed approach point. You can’t “transition early” to something that isn’t there.

No on both. You may begin Climb to appropriate altitudes immediately. Except, there are a few Approaches out there where you may have to continue descending to a Maximum Altitude on the Missed Approach Procedure if you begin the Missed above that altitude. If the Missed Approach Procedure has turns, you may not begin turns before the Missed Approach Point. Point. While DA is commonly referred to as the missed approach point on precision approaches, the Missed Approach Point does have a geographic location. It is the point over the ground where the Glideslope intersects the Decision Altitude. It's geographic location is sometimes not explicitly depicted on the Chart.

Last edited:
No on both. You may begin Climb to appropriate altitudes immediately. Except, there are a few Approaches out there where you may have to continue descending to a Maximum Altitude on the Missed Approach Procedure if you begin the Missed above that altitude. If the Missed Approach Procedure has turns, you may not begin turns before the Missed Approach Point. Point. While DA is commonly referred to as the missed approach point on precision approaches, the Missed Approach Point does have a geographic location. It is the point over the ground where the Glideslope intersects the Decision Altitude. It's geographic location is sometimes not explicitly depicted on the Chart.
The MAP for an ILS is the DA. For the LOC minimums it is the charted MAP. They are constructed differently in TERPs. There are a few vertical guided procedures around the country that have only a DA. Those have no charted MAP.

The most dramatic example is Beckwourth, California O02.

Last edited:
Is the use of an out of date GPS database permissible?

Back