Best Christmas present...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
We aren’t big materialists/”consumers” ( what a word... ) as y’all know, but wondered what you got for holiday presents that turned immediately into one of those, “Why didn’t I get one of these sooner?” things.

For me, Karen got one of those weighted blankets. It was kinda in response to poor sleep from whatever neuro issue of the day is going on, but after sleeping under the thing it’s in that ”Holy crap, these are awesome!” category. Silly thing weighs 15 lbs and sucks to carry around, but totally awesome. I feel like an overstuffed qdoba burrito.

I also got a button hook. I forgot those things existed. Very helpful with shirt buttons with the right hand being uncooperative. As soon as I opened it I did the virtual head smack... ahhhh... why did I forget these were a thing? My grandmother the seamstress used one all the time... duuuhhhh.

It was like grandma herself visited briefly and smiled and shook her finger at me. I can still picture her using one to do, well... whatever she was doing at her sewing table. Ha. :)

It’s exciting around here, I know. We’ll be on MTV Cribs or whatever soon haha.

We've gotten to the point of what possibly can one really need. This year our gifts were few for each other, but, we spent every day together and enjoyed our time decorating the house and visiting with family. It would have been great if we could have made the trip by air but 3 Tango Charlie decided to puke out her hydraulic fluid through the parking brake valve on Christmas morning. So instead, we loaded up my brides new SUV and ground pounded north to Wilmington Delaware (just over two hours) one way. I really don't like driving.
Mary SUV.JPG
I have an O ring kit already here and now I wait for an A&P to do the install and bleed the brakes. I hope to be back in the air in the next week. Have a happy new year!

I have a similar simple but useful story myself. Two years ago, my wife was looking for something a little extra to get me for Christmas. I'm a construction manager for a small home builder, so I live out of my truck during the daytime. I always take my lunch, but it's hard to do leftovers, which I like, without a good way to warm them up. She found this electric lunch box on Amazon and decided to give it to me. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077M87LSQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It takes about 40 to 45 minutes to heat up your lunch, but I plug it in around 11:15 or 11:30, set the timer on my phone to 45 minutes, and go about my business.

My original one had recently started heating up the cord hotter and hotter, and the food was not getting as hot, so she got me another one this Christmas. It has proven to be an incredibly useful little appliance that saves me a lot of money for lunches.

Does my new GPS in the plane count? Unfortunately still in the shop so my present is a little late.

I'm learning a lot about new products that I have never heard of by reading POA. Weighted blankets? Beard oil? :)

We have the "problem" that when we want or need something, we go out and get it. Christmas is tough. I always have a few items that my wife wants and my list to her was very short. Didn't stop us from spending around an AMU each, however. I asked for a bottle of Jameson and got three, plus a number of others. A number of shirts (many of which fall in the category of Go Cougs!!!). A new laptop that has an SSD in it, so it will be much faster in booting and loading programs than any of the others (including the one I'm using right now).

Now go do something important, call and schedule a week in Puerto Vallarta later this spring... :D

I bought myself a GTX-345R, got it installed just in time to fly the bird home for Christmas, so I'm finally ADS-B compliant and no longer need XM for weather... and the gear failed to come down on my next flight. Plane is in the shop, looks to be a bad gear breaker. New one on order... but next comes January, when it's usually impossible to get to the hangar to fly (the county almost never plows the parking areas).

Gotta love Vermont... :rolleyes2:

Not what I was planning for Christmas, but this year I bought a new stove. Bake element caught fire while heating up. Yes, I could replace the element (already replaced one of the coils on top) but it was in the house when I bought it. I figure it's at least 35 probably 40 years old, so I could justify the new stove.

Now, what am I going to get me for my birthday in January? Hm.....thanks Dad, you're paying for the GPS & second G5. (Dear dad died 20 yrs ago and left me some gold coins....just enough to pay for everything including the installation. Well, he also left me the house in Phoenix which I sold because no one wants to rent a house for the summer in Phoenix.) He'd get a kick out of me spending it on something absurd, like the airplane.

I'm learning a lot about new products that I have never heard of by reading POA. Weighted blankets? Beard oil? :)

The good news is, unless something changed since I last saw you, you won’t be needing the beard oil. LOL.

Wireless phone mount/charger for car

I loooooooove wireless charging. My wife’s phone can do it too but she ruined it sticking a big old steel ball on the back for her magnetic car mount. Noooooooo. LOL.

A gift certificate for Blue Apron. 3 days worth of dinners are on the way.

New laptop, just firing it up today (first post on it uh,,,now). Also had to replace the hot water heater. Replaced a heating element back this summer and noticed it was rusting out and about to leak. We've been planning for it since so not completely shocked, but on Christmas day noticed the wooden platform it was sitting on was getting soggy and sinking in the middle. I had visions of it punching through the board, pulling on the pipes, and spraying water everywhere in the garage during the night. Decided it needed replaced post haste. So on the 26th we went to HD and bought a 50 gallon one (old one was 40 and the wife likes baths, plus two teenagers prone to long showers). Rebuilt the platform, installed the new one and back up and running 24 hours later.

The valve for the water shutoff at the street broke off in my hand, so I had to do the work with drips and leaks from other plumbing crossover valves sending water back down the "hot water" delivery pipe. Was a bit of a mess but got it all sorted out using compression fittings instead of sweating connectors. Not the cheapest solution but it is leak free. And I added a support beam and column under the center of the new platform so no more risk of it punching through it. What kind of contractor uses an unsupported chipboard platform for a water tank? Oh, every one that can get away with it.

We aren’t big materialists/”consumers” ( what a word... ) as y’all know, but wondered what you got for holiday presents that turned immediately into one of those, “Why didn’t I get one of these sooner?” things.

For me, Karen got one of those weighted blankets. It was kinda in response to poor sleep from whatever neuro issue of the day is going on, but after sleeping under the thing it’s in that ”Holy crap, these are awesome!” category. Silly thing weighs 15 lbs and sucks to carry around, but totally awesome. I feel like an overstuffed qdoba burrito.

I also got a button hook. I forgot those things existed. Very helpful with shirt buttons with the right hand being uncooperative. As soon as I opened it I did the virtual head smack... ahhhh... why did I forget these were a thing? My grandmother the seamstress used one all the time... duuuhhhh.

It was like grandma herself visited briefly and smiled and shook her finger at me. I can still picture her using one to do, well... whatever she was doing at her sewing table. Ha. :)

It’s exciting around here, I know. We’ll be on MTV Cribs or whatever soon haha.
18 volt cordless grease gun!

Back