Best/Cheapest Live TV Streaming Service?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Recently moved and no cable at new place...nor do I even really want it. Have Starlink which is solid and gonna get an Apple TV...all I really want is the major news networks (CNN/Fox/MSNBC), Discovery Channel (for Gold Rush) and History Channel (for Curse of Oak Island)...don't watch TV sports and rest is all fluff. Local channels (mostly for news) would be a great bonus but not a requirement.

What is a decent basic streaming service that is not gonna put me back $70 a month as all I really want is a few channels?

...and yeah...just realized I have turned into my Dad...

.all I really want is the major news networks (CNN/Fox/MSNBC)
But... why :lol::lol:

Seriously though... I think you can get History via the basic Hulu though I'm not sure about Discovery.

And for the local channels, have you looked into a digital antenna that you can plug into your TV so that you can receive them via air, for free (minus cost of antenna)

I think you can get History via the basic Hulu though I'm not sure about Discovery.
No Discovery on basic...needs Live TV plan which is more than I wanted to spend for a few channels.

Sling Blue checks most of the boxes but even that is still $40/month.

What is a decent basic streaming service that is not gonna put me back $70 a month as all I really want is a few channels?

Although that pretty much only ticks your "local news" box and nothing else. But you can't beat the price (free).

I just want a way to watch the 49ers and SF Giants here in Florida without having to spend the equivalent of a couple hours’ flight time.

The Roku device has live TV built in as an option.

But if OP prefers the Apple device then maybe that has the equivalent. If not, no time like yesterday to cut the cord with Apple. lol. Roku stick is $50 more or less. One time purchase. No monthly fees for the Roku itself.

If you are just looking for local/OTA content, mount an antenna in the attic then connect it to an HD Homerun unit. You can then watch live tv via an app on your smart tv/streaming box. Ability to record/DVR stuff as well. You can buy tuners for up to 4 channels so that you can watch/record multiple channels simultaneously.

We use Roku sticks on all our TVs. I purchase programing thru Comcast for the regular channels. And downloadded the app to watch on the Roku sticks. I still save by not renting any of the boxes.

We use YouTube TV on Roku sticks. Works well enough for use, but YouTube TV is something like $70/month for up to 4(?) different users, like Netflix used to be. So we have it at home, and each of our kids has it wherever they are. It ties somehow to your IP or something to know your location so it can feed you local channels. Other than that, it's pretty much identical to a cable TV package but no set top boxes or anything else to rent. I can't remember who we had last, but they nickeled and dimed on everything: rental charge per cable box, for example. With YTTV it's a flat fee, I think the only upgrade is if you want 4K service.

But that's more than what you want to spend. An add-on antenna works pretty well for pulling in local channels. I've used them a few times for various purposes, but you might need to find the right location and orientation to get the best signal for each station.

We run YouTube TV on FireTV sticks. It's roughly equivalent to cable, includes local channels and of course the usual couple hundred filler channels of absolute worthless crap. But it's got all the so-called "news" channels, Discovery, History, Paramount, TCM (though some movies are blocked from all streaming), yadda yadda. Every other streaming service we looked at was missing either local channels, a major network, or something else we like to watch.

I use Roku with Directv and other free apps like YouTube, etv.. Cost ~$10/month due to a Directv problem I had when I first signed up. After much back and forth, they agreed to that price forever. Lucky I got a guy who got tired of trying to fix my problem and wanted me gone. Eventually the problem cured itself but its still ~$10/month.

Check the numerous presentations on YouTube regarding Streaming Services, Antennas, and alternative devices. There seems to be something new almost every day.
An antenna is definitely worth having for local content. I would recommend to anyone that they invest in an outdoor antenna - and follow the suggestions of Antenna
Man on YouTube.

Dave

Back